Milling some Red Alder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithie55

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
attachment.php

15in X 16in X 10'
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice pics also smithie. I know alder is a hardwood, but is it difficult to mill or is it light like poplar. Looks like it has a nice reddish color to it, or is that just oxidation once its cut. I cut up a sweetgum tree once, and the wood was white as snow for about an hour, then it started turning reddish brown.

I like that smaller mill you have for cutting slabs off the sides of the log. If I had one of them, I wouldn't have to turn my log several times to mill 3 sides. Just can't seem to justify it though... as then I'd want to dedicate yet another big saw to just that mill once I had it set up. (I'm kinda lazy that way, don't like setting up and tearing down, would want to keep the saw on the mill).

The mini mill definitely speeds up chainsaw milling, but you are correct, the desire to have another saw dedicated to that rig is definitely a real possibility. Nice pics, never seen alder.

Nice pics. Real clean looking milling going on there.
I go back and forth with the mini mill, alaskan, and the small log mill. I never even thought to use another saw. Hmmmm. Something else I can go spend money on.
Smithie what do use to do the first cut with? I see it there in the background.

[[WOODSHOP]] I know alder is a hardwood, but is it difficult to mill or is it light like poplar
Here in the NW it is a semi-hardwood, I assume because our weather is very mild in comparison to what the mid-west and the east have.
I've never sawn poplar I suspect it is very similar it is a fairly heavy wood but not extremely dense. Alder is easy to saw. It finishes out real pretty.
[[ADRPK]] Smithie what do use to do the first cut with? I see it there in the background
I use the 36" Alaskan with MS650 attached (which does a good job in the softer woods we have here)
[[HUSKY137]]The mini mill definitely speeds up chainsaw milling
I can actually cut faster with the mini-mill then with alaskan, however if I push it to fast it will cut crooked where the alaskan is more stable.

I have the 440 attached to the mini-mill. I bought the saw off ebay and got a good enough deal. It sure makes it nice to not have to rig up between the 2 different mills. I, like several of you others don't have the mechanical means to move logs. So with my faithful 54" peavey and the 2 mills I can get with the program. After seeing what woodshop has for a setup I have been very motivated to get to that point. That alder that I was mill was at the home of a guy that I work with. He and his son were really impressed how nice the boards were that we cut.
I would like to add the small log mill to the arsenol. and the ripsaw and a resaw and........................................................the list goes on.
I would like to eventually make some money doing this to suppliment or rather pay for the addiction.
I also want to add a chainsaw cable winch, they are absolutely worth their weight in gold, and put a 360 361 on it.
I pulled a 20'X30" Douglas Fir log using a snatch block. Blew me away at the pulling power.
I'll post some pics of the boards after they have dried some. They are starting to turn a really nice deep reddish color.
Happy milling ya'll

Hey Smithie,

I milled some red alder recently. Nice wood to work with. The logs I milled were only 9-10" in dia. so I milled them through and through. The board with the pith in it split badly up the pith after a few weeks of drying.:bang: Do you find this as well?

Mike

casey v said:
Hey Smithie,

I milled some red alder recently. Nice wood to work with. The logs I milled were only 9-10" in dia. so I milled them through and through. The board with the pith in it split badly up the pith after a few weeks of drying.:bang: Do you find this as well?

Mike
Casey I find the center board, and often one or more on each side of it in many species I mill, hardwood and softwood, are often low grade or trash boards. Nature of the beast. That's why some folks box out the middle of the cant.

Thanks Woodshop,

I think in the future, I will rip those boards done the centre and end up with two narrower boards than one checked/split wide board.;)

Mike

Latest posts

Back