Battery Powered Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The market is different around here. A log splitter that goes for $1299 new in the store will be $1250 used. No point buying used. I priced out building my own, and was up to the cost of a new splitter just in hydraulic parts, before spec'ing in steel or turning on my welder.

I have a buddy who will loan me his 37 ton splitter any time I want to go get it, as long as I set it back up to store before I bring it back. Drain the gas, run it dry, fog the cylinder, etc. If I get into big stuff, game on. I told him if he ever wants to sell it, let me make him an offer on it first.

Between the expensive used market and open access to a 37 ton splitter, I rolled the dice on a $300 5 ton 120v electric splitter, and have been pleasantly surprised! Not perfect, but entirely sufficient for what I do. Almost ten cords with it split now, and less than 10pcs that it wouldn't split. 100% would do again. Only maintenance it's needed is a couple fluid changes.
I have a couple of friends who have those splitters. One uses it for campfire wood. The other uses his to split stuff in the house next to his wood furnace. Basically, he uses it to make kindling and smaller pieces to get the fire going, and to split the occational piece that was left a little too big. Both are very satisfied with their machines.

Back