Mini GTG 5-1-12

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok . When is that going to happen ??

I've got the chain ready for him. I don't know if he's going to pick it up at terrys gtg on the 16th or wants it mailed to him. I've run them in hickory and as long as it's not packed in mud it seemed to hold up pretty good.

.025" or a touch lower most of the time. Depends on the powerhead usually. 90 cc I can run .030" and 70cc is usually in between .025" and .030".

Here's a picture of a cutter on that 24" chain.

2012-05-02_08-26-41_269.jpg

New stihl RSLK

2012-05-02_08-29-21_360.jpg

The new chains need work to really be better than a good round filed chain. I won't use a new loop unless it slips past me without atleast cleaning the gullets out. The stihl is awful in how much gullet is there. Oregon is a little better but not much.

I had more fun shooting yesterday than running saws. Wish I had brought a few more guns and left the saws at home:laugh:

Should I clean the gullet and remove the step from the RSLK factory cutter before I use the chain, as in pic #1? I've got a few loops on order.

Or leave a little step as in this pic?
267334d1355354153-095-jpg

Last edited:
Should I clean the gullet and remove the step from the RSLK factory cutter before I use the chain, as in pic #1? I've got a few loops on order.

Or leave a little step as in this pic?
267334d1355354153-095-jpg

That top plate is pretty dern blunt, I'd fix that before cleaning yer gullets out.

Gullet cleaning is a matter of opinion really. I've cut with other guys square work chain with the step, and they cut plenty fast.

I happen to file mine back, so the next filing or two I don't have to bother, and I personally believe it helps clear chips.

Biggest thing is good angles on the top and side plates.

Ok . When is that going to happen ??

It happened last June... :laugh:
Mike was correct... We burnt a tank through it on the 9010 at Terry's, then I burnt another 2 cutting Hedge trees.
At that point it was in need of touching up.
I touched it up with a double bevel...
Wasn't as good as original, but that was my doing...
Learned a bit since then...
I still think the sylvey does a way better job than me and a file... But I know there are folks who are freaking masters with a hand file...

I used to have a good eye and a steadier hand . I could really chisel file. Anymore I chisel grind .
That chain in the pics has some pretty blunt angles. Need to change the angle of your top dresser and move the chain holder toward the mid point of the stone. In my humble opinion anyway. .
Or to put it another way, that would be what I would do if I had to grind a chain on that grinder.

I ground a lot of work chain at that angle so it will stay sharp in some of the harder woods. I have had chestnut peel the top plate like I hit metal in it on 2-3 cuts with a shallower top plate angle. The top picture will cut good in about every wood I tried but 2 tanks or so and it's getting a little dull.

I ground a lot of work chain at that angle so it will stay sharp in some of the harder woods. I have had chestnut peel the top plate like I hit metal in it on 2-3 cuts with a shallower top plate angle. The top picture will cut good in about every wood I tried but 2 tanks or so and it's getting a little dull.

I wish I could send everyone a hedge post to test their chains on...
It would be good practice!!!

Same chain fresh and step removed... Sorry for the so so pic...

attachment.php

OK. See. Thats why it my Humble opinion.
It wouldn't be a good softwood chain. But I can see what you mean with wood that hard.
Trees sure are unique. It's hard for me to comprehend a whole tree that is as hard as the heartwood of a big Sitkà spruce limb. I have had a good sharp chain on my climbing saw blunted so it was DULL. In 1 tank when climbing to top them. At the time I thot it was volcanic ash in the bark. But later I found out there wasn't any that had fell in the area.

Back