Mini skid-steers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolverineMarine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I saw everyone raving about full sized machines on the "skid steer" thread..what do you guys think about the mini versions..I saw Dan has a Torro Dingo..I know Bobcat makes em..as well as Vermeer and others..show me some actual owner pics and pros and cons please..

I've wanted one for years but I haven't had enough work to buy/use it to justify the payments. I'd be better off hiring another guy because another guy I can use everywhere. No so for the machine and the payments are due every month. For brush work it would be a great help but I'm sure its limited on what it can pickup and move with efficiency. And loading height is anothert down side. Most can only get over the side of a 1 ton. A plus side is the numerous attachments and the ability for it to bet into small areas.

I tested the auger attachment, and it worked VERY well. Their digging capacity leaves quite a bit to be desired, but they will probably dig more in an hour than two men. I rented one once for using in snow removal, but that didn't work so well.

I would like to have one, but when I checked out prices, horsepower, lift capacity, etc, I felt that they came up short. They seem much better suited for landscapers than for tree service, which is what I was targeting it for.

They just cost too much per usage of the machine.

For example: they only pick up logs to around 5' height. That isn't enough to get any wood onto my single axle dump trucks, and certainly won't pile them up onto the middle of the truck.

They only have a lift capacity of around 500 lbs. That is MUCH more than a couple of guys can carry, but for somewhere close to $15 grand, they are a complete joke compared to the 6000 lb tipping capacity of my A300 bobcat for a measly 50 grand. And being skid steer, they will do WAY more turf damage than either a log dolly or my A300.

It was an easy call for me, but I am sure other tree guys will put them to excellent use. For example, I'll be they are great for moving a big pile of wood from back yard to front so that a grapple truck can finish the pile.

I've wanted one for years but I haven't had enough work to buy/use it to justify the payments. I'd be better off hiring another guy because another guy I can use everywhere. No so for the machine and the payments are due every month. For brush work it would be a great help but I'm sure its limited on what it can pickup and move with efficiency. And loading height is anothert down side. Most can only get over the side of a 1 ton. A plus side is the numerous attachments and the ability for it to bet into small areas.

The payments??? The things only cost $10,000 to start with. You are not talking about much payment. Can't justify the payments. Good Lord.

A mini is certainly no comparison to a full-sized skid steer. They're not meant to be. Each has its own use. I prefer a mini over a full-sized machine because I can 'sneek' into back yards and through gates where a full-sized machine can't go. I also use a one-ton and dump trailer for cleanup so my mini can reach to load them whereas, if I had a big dump truck, my mini would not.

I consider my tree care services a bit unique from many of the others in my area as I target the hard-to-get-to jobs which require specialized equipment and/or climbing. The other tree services can't/won't do jobs they can't get their big equipment to. I step in with my mini skid and towable aerial lift (which I move into place using my mini skid) and seal the deal with the customer. Like I said, each has its place and I'll dispute what was said about minis being a joke. Maybe they are compared to a what a full-sized skid steer can lift but they are no joke when the big skid steer can't get into an area because it's too wet or too small of an area!

I love my mini skid. It's a Thomas 25g and has a bucket and branch manager grapple. Yes it does have it's limitations. Not that great on digging, limited lifting height, etc.

Most manufactures rate lifting capacity at 50% of tipping capacity. The 25g's lifting capacity is 500lbs., therefore it's tipping capacity is 1,000lbs, and yes it will pick up 1,000lbs before it starts to tip. I've added 150lbs of weight to the rear (dumbells) which helps the machine with the tipping issue. On bigger logs, you can always get an extra ground guy (or two) to stand on the rear for extra ballast. I use a 6 ton float trailer, so height is not as great an issue.

Where this thing really shines is for dragging, moving brush (and smaller logs). I don't bring it to every job, but on those with extended brush dragging, it will do the work of 3-4 guys.

I bought it used with the grapple for $5,500. Had to drive 9 hrs. (one way) to get it. The deals are out there if you look.

The payments??? The things only cost $10,000 to start with. You are not talking about much payment. Can't justify the payments. Good Lord.

I priced a Ditch Witch SK650 with pallet forks, 36" bucket, and turf tracks at $24,356.25 for 6.9 percent at $423 a month. It has 32.8 gross Hp and a 650 lb operating capacity.

I priced a Ditch Witch SK650 with pallet forks, 36" bucket, and turf tracks at $24,356.25 for 6.9 percent at $423 a month. It has 32.8 gross Hp and a 650 lb operating capacity.

Has anyone found actual 'turf' tracks for their mini skid? I've only been able to find lug tracks for my bobcat mt50. While they are better on soft ground than tires, I would prefer a flatter turf track. My old tracks which were completely worn flat were great but, eventually they started tearing so I had to replace them with new ones. The new ones now leave a small lug imprint in soft ground which I don't like.

Thanks.

Has anyone found actual 'turf' tracks for their mini skid? I've only been able to find lug tracks for my bobcat mt50. While they are better on soft ground than tires, I would prefer a flatter turf track. My old tracks which were completely worn flat were great but, eventually they started tearing so I had to replace them with new ones. The new ones now leave a small lug imprint in soft ground which I don't like.

Thanks.

The turf tracks that Ditch Witch has look like the same tread pattern for turf tires on a tractor, but intsead they are on tracks. However, I don't know if any other mini skid producing companies offer this style of track. I would bet an after market company has them, but who knows.

$10K? Where do you live? Try $18-24K for new. You want used, used hard considering the things are underpowered and someone that buys one that isn't happy with it and makes it do things it shouldn't? You get a new one with tracks for $10k and I'm in. Any links?

$10K? Where do you live? Try $18-24K for new. You want used, used hard considering the things are underpowered and someone that buys one that isn't happy with it and makes it do things it shouldn't? You get a new one with tracks for $10k and I'm in. Any links?

It was a Thomas brand and it had wheels. Saw it at the landscape expo in Dallas. It was like $9,995.00 new.

I'll dispute what was said about minis being a joke.

Ill second this. Ive had a vermeer for 1 1/2 yrs now. Its a great machine. It saves a lot of time vs. bucking stuff up and picking up by hand.

Mine has tracks and if your not careful, you can tear up the yard.

also, the vermeer machine will pick up high enough to clear a 5' fence. Thats 60" in itself. I load a flatbed 1ton and I can load the middle of the truck even w/a load. there are some tricks involved, but they dont take much to figure out. I have even put stuff into a roll off dumpster before from the side and ben able to drop the bucket into the dumpster.

Sure, they are no full size, but for what they are, theyre awesome.

This grapple type is better then
attachment.php

this

attachment.php

With the former, you can get longer peices through gates and tight buildings, and they go right into the chipper, with little horsing the loader around

This grapple type is better then
attachment.php

this

attachment.php

With the former, you can get longer peices through gates and tight buildings, and they go right into the chipper, with little horsing the loader around

But the latter cost only $400 and isn't used to load a chipper, rather, a dump trailer so it works just fine. It also picks up rakings and stump grindings. Can the former do that without switching attachments?

I'll agree that the former might get longer pieces through a gate or tight area better than my grapple but, for the range of what I use my mini skid for, the latter type works better. For someone who wants to feed a chipper, you might want to consider a $3k branch manager grapple or the like.

It all depends on what your purpose is. One type doesn't fit all applications.

Last edited:
Lets hurt it... so we know how much it can take.
CONS
Don't try driving over small stumps. You will be stuck and go around in circles for about an hour and a half. Actually that might be good if you don't want to fork over the money to take the family to the CIRCUS.

If you go over a hump with a good load or to fast you get catapulted off the platform. Man what a rush!

It really won't "push" a whole lot of piled up stuff... at all, so don't try.

I think if you can save the money and just strap and drag branches ( a forte' of this machine) a grapple is just dead weight. You are not going to be able to lift it very high with one. I will post pics of the logs I moved. You have to take your time and you are more limited with the bullwork BUT the footprints it leaves SAVES big. I toss plywood down in turning zones and whatknot of course but mainly its just blow and go for clean up. I "stand" lawns and grass back up after we had flattened it. You can drive it over landscape beds and such with thin strips of plywood and not hurt a thing.I am making myself a little randy just talking about it. Those things are just so cute I can't help it

But the latter cost only $400 and isn't used to load a chipper, rather, a dump trailer so it works just fine. It also picks up rakings and stump grindings. Can the former do that without switching attachments?

I'll agree that the former might get longer pieces through a gate or tight area better than my grapple but, for the range of what I use my mini skid for, the latter type works better. For someone who wants to feed a chipper, you might want to consider a $3k branch manager grapple or the like.

It all depends on what your purpose is. One type doesn't fit all applications.

$400?!?? Tell me that is a msiprint.

Latest posts

Back