Missing tooth on new chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fumbler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to chainsaws and this site.

I just bought an Oregon chain from a Husqvarna dealer for my 18" 350.

The chain is low profile full chisel 0.325", 0.050", 72DL.

My question is this:
It looks like the chain was put together by the dealer from bulk chain. That's not a problem at all...BUT there is one tooth missing.
Will this cause any wierd vibration or premature wear on other teeth or anything like that?

Cool.
I thought maybe the dealer put it together on a monday morning.

It's not normal or acceptable in our shop, yea the person that assembled the loop did leave out the tooth. Will it make a difference it will be so slight you probably will not notice but I will not allow it in my store.

Scott

side note** the local Stihl dealer has a habit of this also has a habit of using up to 3 different styles of chain to make a loop.

My 24" Oregon full shisel chain also has one missing.:mad:
Ron
attachment.php

The last time I tried riviting a chain together on a cutter, I had a very hard time doing so, thus the reason its not done.

CaseyForrest said:
I wonder if theres a reason they wont rivet a chain together on a cutter. Must have something to do with chances of breaking.

This is not the norm by any means. Its not a breakage issue its a incompetent assembler.

Scott

Scott, howso? Maybe its full skip, and thats the way the cutters fall on the number of drivers needed for bar size?

If youve got an odd number of drivers, arent you going to have instances where you will either have a gap, or not?

CaseyForrest said:
Scott, howso? Maybe its full skip, and thats the way the cutters fall on the number of drivers needed for bar size?

If youve got an odd number of drivers, arent you going to have instances where you will either have a gap, or not?

Ron had mentioned this in a previous post it was a LG loop not a skip or semi skip. Yes you will have a double gap in a odd length ie. 59 driver, 69 driver etc. but this was a 72 count .325 pitch which would have been a even count the assembler should have installed a tooth to fill the gap. There is no need in a standard tooth pattern for a triple gap.

Scott

TwoTurboVolvos said:
My 24" Oregon full shisel chain also has one missing.:mad:
Ron
attachment.php

That's not right.... You can just as easily assemble using a cutter as a joiner link... usually there are dozens of cutters just lying around the chain breaker from busting chains anyhow, or, you can buy new left or right cutters.

When the original poster said he was missing a cutter, I thought it was just an odd number offset, not a complete skip.

Someone messed up.

I have two saws that size, with 18" bar. 72 DL of .325
Somewhere on this site it mentions DL divisable by 4 gives correct L & R cutters. I then determined that if the number can be divided by 6 equally then it matches a skip tooth correctly. If you are using the 350 in larger wood you could benifit from a .325 full skip as it allows the small saw to keep the RPM's up.

-Pat :blob2:

broke off cutters

I just hit some big metal cutting up my barn and broke cutters off the chain. I just sharpened the remaining cutters and went on cutting. Didnt notice any difference in the cut. Just glad I was using the little 220 with a chain brake and not the 305 without it. It was instant bam stop. If it was the other saw i might of ate it.
8_14_5.gif

It will make very little difference in the actual function of the chain. You might feel slight tugging as you cut, if you really pay attention.
There are several possible explanations for how this happened. Perhaps somebody needed a cutter and popped it off the end of the spool. Or, the last chain made might have had an odd length. Then when the next chain was made up they didn't make sure the cutter spacing was correct.
The idea is to make profit at the end of the spool, and you won't make as much if you waste a bunch of chain. Plus, it takes time to check for cutter spacing, and correct it if it's wrong. Time is money.
Most people don't know they sell chains that have every other cutter missing. These chains actually cut faster in bigger wood.
Personally, I wouldn't make a loop of chain like yours, with one cutter missing, but if I had one, I'd just run it.

Last edited:
Back