Missing tooth on new chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with all above^^, anyone considered the the cutter wasn't put in because he may have had two teeth in a row on the same side? Not that I think it makes much of a diff one way or the other (my persent chain is like that and it makes it easy to find where I started sharpening lol), I've run saws with a skipped tooth, with two on same side where they join, etc, no big difference to me (as long as its sharp) I just think it works out that way sometimes :)

My 0.02$ for the aft.

:givebeer:

Last edited:
Considering the shop is 30 minutes away, I think I'll just keep it.
I will keep my eye out next time I buy one though.
I'd like it to have all of the appropriate teeth even if it doesn't make a practical difference.

Thanks for all of your input.

If it means anything, the first time I put one together, I had two left hand cutters in a row. The driver count was 72 Drive links and should have came out even, but where the real was cut off before I got it...I eventually changed it, but ran it unknowingly until I went to sharpen it. I really didn't notice a difference. Now I'm a little more aware when I put loops together. lol

-Steve

Just shows how much i payed attention in the past. I just sharpened 2 stihl .325 chains, one 16", one 18". 16" had two left cutters in a row. 18" had a skipped cutter. Would have never even thought about it till this thread. Cuts without any problems and even the tip of my finger contest to that. OUCH!
8_14_9.gif

I have made chains on my own bench like that and with two cutters of the same type in a row. I've also installed loose cutters, it's easy if you know what you're doing. If I was making a loop for somebody I would try to do it right, but for my own use, I wouldn't care, they cut fine.
J.D.

sequence

The way the chain is joined is dependant on the drive link count of the chain. Skip sequence chain is worse.....it has to be a drive link count of a multiple of 6 for the sequence to come out correct. For standard sequence chain the count has to be a multiple of 4 to come out even.

The general trend I've seen in my saws is that sometimes the count is wrong, so they leave out a cutter. Anyway who cares - the cutters get broken or blunted anyway if you hit a rock or nail, I wouldn't give an iota.

Latest posts

Back