Mixed feelings about a saw sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just sold off a spare ms250 that I rebuilt, got what I asked for it. However, the person who bought it was a complete newb that just wanted "to cut down a few trees in my yard". He did ask about winter storage, so I assume he will keep it. Still, I would have liked to have seen it go to an experienced person even if it "just" a 250.
Anyone else have those feelings about a saw you sold off?

I had mixed feelings selling a tractor to a good friend of mine. He got a good deal but I didnt give it away either. He then went and spent loads making it immaculate. It sits for months, which is fine but I would have felt better if he had gone for something cheaper if he was only going to be getting 50 hours a year out of it.

I have talked people out of a sale if i felt they had no experience. Ill come right out and say, its my professional opinion this isnt the right saw for you and im concerned for your well being. Some people scoff...some people admit they may be in over their heads. No sale is worth someone getting hurt over.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I had very little felling experience when I purchased the 2100. My dealer gave me pointers.

I had a ds80 suzuki kids dirt bike 4 sale. A kid with his family came to look at it. I had a cr125 Honda we built that was ballistic. Its not for a beginner. My buddy took it to sell it at his store and couldn’t sell it to a kid. I agreed.
We richened the carb to cut down on the hit. Now the kids shows up and wants the bigger bike, I tried to tell him buy the ds80 and learn how to ride and comeback I’ll hold you the cr125 and you can trade in the ds80. Well that didn’t work they bought the cr125, never heard from them. The 125cr would eat 250’s.

Business is business...if I am selling for a business, it’s not MY business who buys what...only that I make enough to cover my cost and keep my employer happy (if I am working for someone or on commission).

There is nothing wrong with giving guidance - telling someone what may or may not work for them or considerations. You also need to stop there...their money - their free choice. What may sound stupid to most people may be sane to them.

Now to me - selling privately, I am a bit different. Friendship and good relationships come first. If I don’t think it’s a fit - I just say not for sale...in a polite way....maybe I “changed my mind” or “ just sold it...guy gave a deposit to hold here”. - but I find a way out. Problem is - moment you post it or hang a For Sale sign....you need to approach things like a business....it’s the ones where I’ve got something sitting around and someone eyes it and offers that I can back out of selling....otherwise it’s tough.

Also always remember the old used car salesman saying “Buyers are Liars” - it’s true many times.....they will come to you with a story, and it seems they are over reaching for their intended use....they try lower your price and possibly do a little.....next thing you realize they are reselling at a higher price.

Happened to me once on a tractor...kid stopped out and looked at an old Allis Chalmers I had...my old man traded fo it a few years before and when he passed, it became my headache. It was actually fairly nicely restored by the prior owner. Just not something I had a use for at all though.

Anyway, kid calls me and ask can I help him out - he needs a project for school....he knows this is a prior restoration that runs, but just needs something to demo he can do mechanical work on an older machine with and show off at a project fair....said sure, it’s a worthwhile cause and I practically GAVE it to him...knowing cash buyers were few and far between.

Low and behold - he gets it, 2 days later it’s posted on CL in for sale/for trade....wants 5 grand or trade for motorcycle, UTV or firearms. Complete BS story how he lovingly restored his grandads tractor, single owner...hates to sell but grandad passed and too many memories as they worked on it together.

Had a buddy correspond with him and fake an interest. Got a meet set up and took a ride with my buddy to meet the kid at his parents farm. Needless to say - he was surprised to see me.

I know it sat forever...he kept reposting for weeks, eventually went away. Guess he found his Buford. Certainly played me for one too....which sucks because for everyone of these punks, there still probably are 9 kids legitimately just looking for a break and helping hand.

You have to watch these kids there schemers today. Everyone is after my 99 Jeep Wrangler it has a rusted frame but it’s still worth money and an easy fix. But some wanted it for free.

I put my 55 Willy’s cj5 in a longer 73/cj5 v8 frame. No body just a seat. The 99 wrangler wheel base is close. I’m thinking a yard plow with heat. Unless I make her road legal.

Business is business...if I am selling for a business, it’s not MY business who buys what...only that I make enough to cover my cost and keep my employer happy (if I am working for someone or on commission).

There is nothing wrong with giving guidance - telling someone what may or may not work for them or considerations. You also need to stop there...their money - their free choice. What may sound stupid to most people may be sane to them.

Now to me - selling privately, I am a bit different. Friendship and good relationships come first. If I don’t think it’s a fit - I just say not for sale...in a polite way....maybe I “changed my mind” or “ just sold it...guy gave a deposit to hold here”. - but I find a way out. Problem is - moment you post it or hang a For Sale sign....you need to approach things like a business....it’s the ones where I’ve got something sitting around and someone eyes it and offers that I can back out of selling....otherwise it’s tough.

Also always remember the old used car salesman saying “Buyers are Liars” - it’s true many times.....they will come to you with a story, and it seems they are over reaching for their intended use....they try lower your price and possibly do a little.....next thing you realize they are reselling at a higher price.

Happened to me once on a tractor...kid stopped out and looked at an old Allis Chalmers I had...my old man traded fo it a few years before and when he passed, it became my headache. It was actually fairly nicely restored by the prior owner. Just not something I had a use for at all though.

Anyway, kid calls me and ask can I help him out - he needs a project for school....he knows this is a prior restoration that runs, but just needs something to demo he can do mechanical work on an older machine with and show off at a project fair....said sure, it’s a worthwhile cause and I practically GAVE it to him...knowing cash buyers were few and far between.

Low and behold - he gets it, 2 days later it’s posted on CL in for sale/for trade....wants 5 grand or trade for motorcycle, UTV or firearms. Complete BS story how he lovingly restored his grandads tractor, single owner...hates to sell but grandad passed and too many memories as they worked on it together.

Had a buddy correspond with him and fake an interest. Got a meet set up and took a ride with my buddy to meet the kid at his parents farm. Needless to say - he was surprised to see me.

I know it sat forever...he kept reposting for weeks, eventually went away. Guess he found his Buford. Certainly played me for one too....which sucks because for everyone of these punks, there still probably are 9 kids legitimately just looking for a break and helping hand.
Guy locally was on Craigslist begging for used lawn equipment "he could use to teach his autistic son a trade and help to put him on a path to success". He comes out, ive got 3 wheel horse units that dont run but complete, 1967 Deere 110H round fender that needed a rebuild, couple troy bilt tillers. All stuff i paid for and had plans on rebuilding or parting out to help others looking to keep the old stuff going. He comes out and parades his son Around, about how it was his dream to work on old equipment and it was all he talked about...and so on...capping it off that they were very poor and really didnt have the money to buy anything.

I bought the story..he took it all. 3 hours later it was all listed on CL as "barn find antiques needing restoration"....asking well over a grand.

I called every shop in town...told em what he did and yep, he had been hitting them up regularly with the same song and dance. Lets say his supply of free used equipment came to a grinding halt...cant stand someone that uses a disability, theirs or someone elses as a pity party.

Just sold off a spare ms250 that I rebuilt, got what I asked for it. However, the person who bought it was a complete newb that just wanted "to cut down a few trees in my yard". He did ask about winter storage, so I assume he will keep it. Still, I would have liked to have seen it go to an experienced person even if it "just" a 250.
Anyone else have those feelings about a saw you sold off?
The only thoughts I have when selling a used saw, especially a rebuilt one, is that the new user will not be able to start it for whatever reason, or will straight-gas it and blame me for selling them a junk saw.

Depends on the saw. Newer plastic saws I don’t mind fixing and flipping for a few dollars profit. The older saws with collector value I’m a little more picky about, as I don’t want it to end up ruined or in a ditch somewhere. I put one of my Macs on the local buy sell trade and all the responses were from clueless folks so I pulled it. I’d rather give it away to someone here who will appreciate it.

I have trouble parting with my stuff. I sold my old ATV yesterday. That was tough. I have to get rid of some saws.

Out of the blue a guy knocks on my door asking if I had a saw for sale. I had a hell of a time trying to block excuses why I couldn't part with each one.

Starting with a dump find plastic MAC. Easy to sell that one. Maybe some Micros next.

I have trouble parting with my stuff. I sold my old ATV yesterday. That was tough. I have to get rid of some saws.

Out of the blue a guy knocks on my door asking if I had a saw for sale. I had a hell of a time trying to block excuses why I couldn't part with each one.

Starting with a dump find plastic MAC. Easy to sell that one. Maybe some Micros next.
That is me to a T. I had a guy stop by to buy one of my MS170s yesterday and he saw all my other saws and kept trying to get me to sell different ones to him. I had to keep saying no.

I try not to sell Pro saws, and unless I really like it, I will sell homeowner grade saws pretty often. The last bundle of saws I bought had 2 big Jonsereds, a 550xp Husky, and 2 MS170s. I sold the MS170s for more than I had in all the other saws, so as long as I break even I am happy, especially if that means I get more saws.

my biggest issue is once I get the idea in my head to start selling, I sell like crazy and move onto something else. I had a truck that I had no intention of selling until some guy came by asking if I would. I thought about it for a while and thought about what I could do with the money, and wound up selling it.

I have also done that with my guns, once I break the ice of selling, I sell sell sell. Then regret it later.

my biggest issue is once I get the idea in my head to start selling, I sell like crazy and move onto something else. I had a truck that I had no intention of selling until some guy came by asking if I would. I thought about it for a while and thought about what I could do with the money, and wound up selling it.

I have also done that with my guns, once I break the ice of selling, I sell sell sell. Then regret it later.
Bro i feel that. I had two old gmc trucks that i had not even considered ever selling. A guy asked if id sell one and if so how much. I told him not for sale...but id have to get 7k each.

Next day i had em both listed...both sold and i bought a Z06....

You have to watch these kids there schemers today. Everyone is after my 99 Jeep Wrangler it has a rusted frame but it’s still worth money and an easy fix. But some wanted it for free.
the neighbors kid wanted a project truck or car...
wanted it for free,i guess since i gave him one car it was assumed that was going to be the price going forward.
I had a big pile of cans and bottles,about $200 bucks worth once sorted,so i told him if he sorted the pile and brought me the money he could have the truck for the price of the recyclables.
He told me his shoulder was hurt so he wouldn't be able to do that.How much does a fugn bag of aluminum cans weigh.
one year later i gave the pile to the hockey club,it was gone the next morning.
He was back asking for the truck this spring....

You describe me to a :T:

Latest posts

Back