MM on a Hsky 266xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Played around with muffler on my 266 a couple of weeks ago. 1" 316 s/s tubing .040 wall thickness.
Plated the side with 20 ga. s/s and closed off the original exhaust on top. Re tuned it and it runs great.
I did notice a slight bit of scoring on the piston approx. 3/16" wide x 1/2" long, possibly from running
lean last summer. Just starting to get into modding my saws, so not sure how long I can run it with a
scored piston? If it's tuned right now will it continue to score? Thx.

photo2-1_zps6f0041fd.jpg

photo1-2_zps65bef2f2.jpg

Personally, I'd pull the scored piston, check the cylinder, new piston and rings and carry on. Then you don't worry. Piston and rings aren't too bad if you go aftermarket. Running with a scored piston can and will eventually cause issues with the cylinder which is much more expensive.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd pull the scored piston, check the cylinder, new piston and rings and carry on. Then you don't worry. Piston and rings aren't too bad if you go aftermarket. Running with a scored piston can and will eventually cause issues with the cylinder which is much more expensive.

Excellent advice. If you wait until it toasts itself you might end up with damage that can't be repaired. Clean up the cylinder, and at least do new rings if not the whole piston like Jimmy says. Then you'll be good as new.

Back