Modded Sawzilla 361 pulling a 36" bar through 3 year old 56" Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slamm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Okay, you know how the carpenter's wife never gets the kitchen fixed up, because he is always busy fixing someone else's kitchen, well, I was bored today, so I figured I would cut the horrible eye sore of a stump that someone hacked up before I purchased our place. I just never got around to it. I was playing with the 084 and cleaning some stuff up and the only other saws I have at home are the 260 and the 361. I was going to cut the stump with the 084 and a 30" bar, but I didn't have a 7 pin sprocket and the chain won't fit over the 8 tooth one on that saw now (the 7 tooth is at the jobsite). So the only other options is the Sawzilla 361 ported by Terry up in Des Moines, IA, we I figured we'd try it. Terry, said they were using it with a 36" bar on cotton wood, after something broke on the 460 they were using at the job and he grabbed this saw and finished the job, said it pulled it fine, that was about 4 years ago, LOL. Anyways, I know its wrong, but I did it, and I thought it did just fine, I was actually impressed, LOL.

IMG_5117.jpg

IMG_5118.jpg

IMG_5119.jpg

IMG_5120.jpg

IMG_20110922_184300.jpg

This was not the easiest and I didn't get the cut quite as level as I wanted it due to the one handed operation, but you get the point. The bar is new and the chain is a new Stihl Full Skip - Chisel Chain. The saw is old, LOL.

This is the second cut needed to get throught the 56" width. You can see the camera flop down when the whole top is finally cut through.

This is a good lesson, for those that think they need to go buy some huge saw to cut the one big tree down in their back yard, LOL.

Sam

Nice one Sam,the things we do when we get bored.
I think ya better keep that saw for when ya get old and cant carry the 441 around all day.

Oh, I've dropped a lot of trees with it already, when I would get tired on some side hill after running the 660's, I would get this one and go like mad again, as its like holding a toy, LOL. Its the whole reason, I started looking into the 441's, as I figured I just need a little more power and the good AV system to get a smaller saw that will drop as much wood in a day as the 660, but didn't beat you up so bad. It is a great little saw, haven't honestly used it in awhile.

Hey, I'm going to email you some pictures.

Sam

Did you hit something at 36 seconds because it sure looks like the chain went to hell after that, no more chips, just dust.

Did you hit something at 36 seconds because it sure looks like the chain went to hell after that, no more chips, just dust.

Yeah, it hit the center of the stump, although the stump wasn't badly rotten when I cut it off. I'll go whack it with a hammer tomorrow and see if it is/was punky. I wiped the chips away and it didn't appear soft. It might have been one of those 40+ other cuts that was in it, LOL. But no I didn't hit anything like metal, as the chain is still quite good.

Sam

Say, Slamm......where in KY are you at?........if I may ask. I've got family in Lexington and Georgetown. Sure love it up there, though I hadn't been in years.

No, I'm by Paducah, KY or Belleville, IL depending on when you catch me, LOL. What part of Ark are you by, I lived in Fort Smith and Fayetteville for awhile, hunted hogs across the border into Oklahoma a bunch and down by McAlester, OK.

Sam

No, I'm by Paducah, KY or Belleville, IL depending on when you catch me, LOL. What part of Ark are you by, I lived in Fort Smith and Fayetteville for awhile, hunted hogs across the border into Oklahoma a bunch and down by McAlester, OK.

Sam

Oh, all the way on the other side of the state! Ha! That western KY....:laugh:

I'm between Ft. Smith and Fayetteville in Winslow. My wife and I have 10 acres a couple miles off Hwy 71 behind the school.....just far enough out in the woods to forget anyone else is around.:D

Oh, I've dropped a lot of trees with it already, when I would get tired on some side hill after running the 660's, I would get this one and go like mad again, as its like holding a toy, LOL. Its the whole reason, I started looking into the 441's, as I figured I just need a little more power and the good AV system to get a smaller saw that will drop as much wood in a day as the 660, but didn't beat you up so bad. It is a great little saw, haven't honestly used it in awhile.

Hey, I'm going to email you some pictures.

Sam

Yar mate im hearing ya about lugging around a heavey,thersty ported 660 all day,thats why i started thinking along your way and getting the 441.

I like pics looking forward to them thanks.

Andrew

Well, there was a little oil on it, but overall, I would say, no.

I just did those two cuts with it, you would want to modd the oiler or swap it out with a better one if this was a more common occurrance.

Sam

Modded Sawzilla 361 pulling a 36" bar through 3 year old 56" Ash.

I didn't think ash grew that fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Modded Sawzilla 361 pulling a 36" bar through 3 year old 56" Ash.

I didn't think ash grew that fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, yes, good point, I meant it was cut down three years ago, LOL. Yeah, if they grew that big in 3 years the PNW guys would be jealous of us, LOL.

Oh, and no, I didn't cut it down. Me and another guy counted a little over 40 separate cuts on that stump and the center section which I still have stacked over at the corner of the property, is simply a work of "something", when it comes to insane amounts of multiple and redundant cuts and then half of them curve off like a "C" and then they would go to the other side and cut a curved "C" the other way and its just something to behold, LOL.

Sam

you should have come over here and got my wifes 017 and tried it:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

LOL, I did have the Modded 260 as a backup.

I thought the little 361 did pretty good,seasoned Ash is not exactly soft and if you watch the video, that 36" tip is going through it pretty good. It even started the chain in the cut well. They need to M-Tronics the 362.

Sam

Cool thread, but I don't really consider it a "lesson", given that you're using a ported saw. If I were faced with the task you describe being the average joe that I am I would buy at least a 441 for that job.

This is a good lesson, for those that think they need to go buy some huge saw to cut the one big tree down in their back yard, LOL.

Sam

Sam, I respect your opinions and enjoy most of your posts (I don't enjoy the constant bantering with 056kid as I am sure you don't either). I am far from a professional cutter but I do have some experience with cutting down fair size hardwood and I have several years experience with a stock 036Pro. I generally agree with your above statement but bearing in mind that there are many inexperienced cutters reading this thread, I would respectfully disagree with any suggestion that anyone short of a pro should consider using a 60cc saw with a 36" bar to cut down a tree that is anywhere close to diameter of the stump you cut. Cutting a stump is one thing as is bucking a downed tree, but you know better than I the times speed in the cut could be critical to a safe downing - something a 60cc saw cannot deliver with a long bar. Keep up with your interesting posts. Ron

Sam, I respect your opinions and enjoy most of your posts (I don't enjoy the constant bantering with 056kid as I am sure you don't either). I am far from a professional cutter but I do have some experience with cutting down fair size hardwood and I have several years experience with a stock 036Pro. I generally agree with your above statement but bearing in mind that there are many inexperienced cutters reading this thread, I would respectfully disagree with any suggestion that anyone short of a pro should consider using a 60cc saw with a 36" bar to cut down a tree that is anywhere close to diameter of the stump you cut. Cutting a stump is one thing as is bucking a downed tree, but you know better than I the times speed in the cut could be critical to a safe downing - something a 60cc saw cannot deliver with a long bar. Keep up with your interesting posts. Ron

Point noted.

That said, you can go on Youtube right now and watch video after video of 440's and 460, there was even a Husky 394 that must have had the chain on backwards, that are cutting similar size wood with smaller bars and they are not going any faster than this saw is. Also, if a person is lacking in skill or experience that their safety is at the mercy of the power of the saw in a non-production setting, i.e. homeowner types, then they probably shouldn't be cutting a tree down in the first place, as they don't know what they are doing, and they wouldn't be any safer with a modded 880, "Chasing holding wood.", because they likely haven't acquired the testicle fortitude to hang in there when things get a little close and exciting.

So I will say this, this is a lesson in how a properly modded 361 performs with a 36" bar on it. This is a video that shows what a modded 60cc saw can do at its upper limits, and that is does have quite respectable power when modded. Do not try this at home or on trees, certainly don't try it if you are going to do anything I say or write and then blame me for it if it fails and you are damaged as a result.

Also those types of individuals should also learn their limitations and study my below signature phrase.

I and they, thank you for the heads up,

Sam

Latest posts

Back