Modded Sawzilla 361 pulling a 36" bar through 3 year old 56" Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point of the "lesson to learn" was from my way of thinking, there are a lot of people and more power to them, its a free world and I'm fine with CAD syndrome as long as you admit it, but they have maybe two 36" trees to cut in their whole lives and they think they need to go buy a 660 with a 48" bar to get these two trees cut up. Would that be faster, sure, but if that added up all the time it wouldn't amount to 1 hours difference between the overly taxed 60cc saw and the 90cc saw, so basically in the time it takes them to go to the saw shop and pick it the 90cc saw, the difference is wasted.

Or the "lesson to be learned" is modded saws are just simply the best, when done properly they have no faults. You take a guy that just cuts on the weekend with marginal physical fitness or skill and give them a heavier saw say a 70cc saw, they are going to gas out at 1-2 hours, a modded little 60cc is almost equivalent to the 70cc/50cc plan or the infamous (2 Saw Plan) of which I'm an advocate for, but I run both in modded form, LOL. Porting or Modding saws just makes them awesome, the power jumps say 10cc's maybe more over a stock saw and allows it to truly be the most efficient version of itself.

Hopefully no one will sue me over writing the aforementioned,

Sam

Sam,

If folks learned lesson number 1, there wouldn't be those occassional bargains on big barely used saws for CAD sufferers.

If it weren't for lesson number 2, half of the posts on AS would not exist.

I have some big old saws because they're fun not because I need them. The saws I count on are not modded because they're old and I'm inept. I may one day cash some in and spring for a couple of modern saws - maybe even get them modified.

I believe most of us on AS appreciate that a saw to you is a tool as opposed to a toy. I live in both worlds so things get a little blurry.

Don't worry about getting sued over your opinion - I know a few good lawyers. :biggrin: Ron

I, for one, appreciate threads and experience like this as I've been cutting my firewood for a long time now. So, many thanks.:rock:

I've considered for atleast the past three winters getting an additional bigger saw than I have already just for those two/maybe three big ones I run across most winters. Right now, I have a 50cc Makita/Dolmar that has a little trouble with it (and I do only mean a little) unless I take it slower and use creative cutting techniques with the 18" bar. But, after this winter, in lieu of getting a bigger saw and after having read several threads of this nature, I've decided I will definitely modify it, or have it modified, and run a bigger bar on those seldom occasions to keep the same weight of saw yet have that extra power I'd like. I keep a mini mac as a back up, but you know..... I've actually never needed it.

Having more saws might be fun, but in the end, for me, it's only more of something to maintain. :smile2:

thook, I have an engineer friend who has some classic Mustangs including a Shelby GT350 and a Shelby GT500. He is fond of saying that a man's frustration is directly proportional to the number of internal combustion engines he owns. I pretty much agree although my level of frustration is also directly linked to the number of pneumatic tires I have - something always has a flat when I need it. Ron

thook, I have an engineer friend who has some classic Mustangs including a Shelby GT350 and a Shelby GT500. He is fond of saying that a man's frustration is directly proportional to the number of internal combustion engines he owns. I pretty much agree although my level of frustration is also directly linked to the number of pneumatic tires I have - something always has a flat when I need it. Ron

So, what? Too many, or not enough tires....hahaha?

Oh man, your friend is so right (IMO). I used to only own one vehicle. But, that was a real ##### when it went down living 30 miles from the parts stores, though it was very easy to remember all it's maintenance schedules. Now, I have four not including the one I'm selling. It's nice for multipurpose tasking and always having a back up. I have a nice, reliable, and comfortable one for towing and hauling supplies from town, one for firewood and hay (it's a beater with no a/c and less than optimal heating), one for simply commuting to my part time job and simple errands (very good mileage), and the last there's no real need for except it was a gift to my wife from her elderly father. Sentimental....and, it's an automatic....which my wife likes. My commuter is a 5spd. Anyway, the need for atleast three of those is quite justifiable.....unlike having more saws than I need....but, it is still a lot to keep up with. Some days I do wish I had only two. Just gotta have a back up!!!!!!:wink2:

Sentimental items shouldn't count against you. Taking out my sentimental saws (my grandfather's and my first "real" saw), I am actually down to three models - I just have several "spares" for two of them. :) Ron

Sentimental items shouldn't count against you. Taking out my sentimental saws (my grandfather's and my first "real" saw), I am actually down to three models - I just have several "spares" for two of them. :) Ron

Sentimentals only count against you when they don't work.....and your wife would really like it to! And, for the moment, it does....:laugh:

Oooooo.....now, spares are a good thing. I almost got another Makita (same model) for $250 for spare parts. But, meh....the ol' account wouldn't allow for it. Oh well. Another day.

(Sorry for the slight thread diversion, Slamm)

The only thing I want to see is a Start to Finish vid of that 361 flush cutting that stump 1" from the ground.

You are a "Pro", you know you aint even hit the tough stuff yet!

The only thing I want to see is a Start to Finish vid of that 361 flush cutting that stump 1" from the ground.

You are a "Pro", you know you aint even hit the tough stuff yet!

LOL, seriously, your going to get "hard" about the fact that I was justing using the saw to trim a crappy looking top off of a stump and now have to prove to you that a great running/modded 60cc saw is a good saw, I have to go cut my beautiful stump off just to prove to you that it can cut .............Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm let me think about that, hmmmmmmmmmm go screw yourself.

Its people with attitudes like yours that makes others that actually do something with their saws and then document it ... not want to post anything. If you can't see the chip volume and hear the saw running in that cut for the first 1/2 where its pulling great chips for a 60cc saw, then pro or not, you don't know your butt from a hole in the ground, and I sure ain't going one second out of my way to prove crap to you, you wouldn't know it if it hit you in the head. I mean why stop the challenge at that ash stump at 1", why not a hedge stump at 1" or should I send it to Australia and have them cut some iron related wood product down there for you to observe?? You're an idiot.

Have a great day,

Sam

I rekon I know my arse from a hole in the ground. Showing a vid for a few seconds in some punky wood sure don't impress me much.

Latest posts

Back