Modders beware!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THALL10326

The Champ
Reaction score
New Phase III EPA Regulations
STIHL Inc. is providing you with this notification from the U.S. EPA of the responsibilities and liabilities being imposed upon the importers, distributors, and retailers of outdoor power equipment that will be subject to the new EPA phase III regulations beginning in 2010. The outreach from the U.S. EPA summarizes these responsibilities and recommends the retailers and importers adapt and implement reasonably prudent precautions to avoid a violation. Violations can carry fines up to $37,500 for each engine or piece of equipment.

How would you like to get caught modding a chainsaw for some guy you don't really know and later he slaps you with a fine of $37,500, ouch!!!!

Well, dag gom the EPA.
Dont worry modders, I wont tell. If you cut me a deal :D
Next thing you know... NASCAR will be be outlawed, and they will be racin hybrids.

Read Toms post folk. He said importers, distributors, and retailers of outdoor power equipment.

Yes, I also noticed that it failed to mention John Q. Public and whatever mods he is coooking up. Basically they do not want a mass distribution of modified equipment through dealers.

Read Toms post folk. He said importers, distributors, and retailers of outdoor power equipment.

So true but what is a retailer?

Definition: The sale of goods or commodities in small quantities directly to consumers.

So we have to define a mod for money when sold to someone. Is it a sale of goods or a sale of some commodity. It having a value it would have to be one or the other???

I simply say be very carefull who your dealing with come 2010. We dealers have all been told beware bigtime come 2010, I'm just passing along the info to you guys..

So true but what is a retailer?

Definition: The sale of goods or commodities in small quantities directly to consumers.

So we have to define a mod for money when sold to someone. Is it a sale of goods or a sale of some commodity. It having a value it would have to be one or the other???

I simply say be very carefull who your dealing with come 2010. We dealers have all been told beware bigtime come 2010, I'm just passing along the info to you guys..

Hmmm.... so we should expect a precipitous drop in advertising for porting mods. I do see your point. Or perhaps all porting work in 2010 will be done for free! :)

I also would not want to be the guy who was proven to have made modifications to a fire safe muffler that started a forest fire.

too bad im a dealer.... im still doin it

LOLOL, getem tiger. As for me anyone MOFO that walks in the shop asking for any sort of modification will get told two words, NO WAY.

I've always been one to set saws at a decent rpm level at time of sale. It usually means pulling the carb caps. This most certainly puts the emissions greater than what EPA allows. Come 2010 with fines like $37,500 I may have say to hell with removing caps. Strato motors can't come fast enough...

Serve a few hypocritical "moral" people on here right to actually get slapped with some consequences for their inattention to ethical obligations.

So, if you trim a limiter or create a hole in a muffler you better know the guy as well as or better than your wife, huh?

Exactly. If you don't know the person at all I'd be very leary of messing with any mods they may request. If ya know the man well I see no harm in keeping a secret,LOL

Latest posts

Back