modding my 051

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeyboy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
just wondered what sort of things are possible/simple to do as running a 36inch bar with full comp 404 chisel chain I know it's a bit much to ask of the old saw but the bar was a bargain and could not turn it down :wink2: seen that you can increase compression by decking the cylinder but I don't have access to a mill or lathe but I have seen people skimming car cylinder heads by taping fine grit sandpaper to glass table tops but any ideas are welcome

i broke down my 051 in an attempt to squeeze some more power out of it. Short from building a custom intake and a full blown expansion chamber muffler thing, there is not much to gain from lets say a port job and a traditional MM on this boat anchor. the ports are already huge and it is a low speed saw. perhaps lowering the squish would be your best bet?

mine had enough torque to pull the tree down without cutting anything! those 051s are good old fashioned saws.

By lowering the squish do you mean lowering the cylinder ? I must admit I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to engine mods ! And yes it is a beast just dosent pull that big bar as well as I would like

i would def run a skip chain on the 051 at 36" bar length. I think you will be surprised at the results.

.404 full comp 36" long is asking a lot from a 89cc saw. Do you cut wood that big and bury that bar or are you using it as a stumper???

Try some full skip chain, if you do not want to go that route and can file your own chain, try leaving the rakers higher (.020") and filing at 20 degrees instead of 30, it will take a smaller bite and therefore less drag.

Also you can plug the limiter circuit on the carb. I just got an 051 and if you really want some power put an 075 slug and jug on it. 110cc:clap::msp_rolleyes:

the saw is just there if we ever need a big bar better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it I do file my own chains but never thought of leaving the rakers higher and changing the angle I have an 076 cylinder and piston at home would I have to do much work to get them to fit ? I know that the 76 uses studs instead of bolts. was hoping somebody would bring the limiter in carb up I have no idea what I'm looking for :msp_sad:

Honestly who really Cuts wood 36'' Besides fast growing cottonwood.
NO most dont need that big of a bar but WE WANT THEM!!!:dizzy::dizzy:
CAD BRO:msp_w00t:

good answer sir :clap: to be fair it may only leave the shed once a year I only used it once last year for an oak that had the crown reduced in an effort to save it but it continued to die if we could have got the trunk out from the customers garden in one piece would have been worth a lot of money but ended up being firewood !!!

Back