Modding the Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've done alot of piston swap moters, don't always work out as planed
putting in a taller piston is kinda like long stroking the moter, it changes more then you think

i've done alot of piston swap moters, don't always work out as planed
putting in a taller piston is kinda like long stroking the moter, it changes more then you think

Yes, thats for sure, but the 7900 shouldnt be the worst candidate. Crankcase compression will suffer, but the 7900 has loads of it. The exhaust is fixed only to the cylinder. It has rubber inlet, and the upper AV-mount should be able to cope with it. :msp_thumbup:

Got the 272 piston, looks like I need to make up .173" to get the proper squish. Could just make a spacer, skirts are quite a bit shorter as well, so I don't know how much more intake that will give it.

Got the 272 piston, looks like I need to make up .173" to get the proper squish. Could just make a spacer, skirts are quite a bit shorter as well, so I don't know how much more intake that will give it.

Take some out of the squish band and some off the top of the piston. Use the spacer to set your intake timing.

Take some out of the squish band and some off the top of the piston. Use the spacer to set your intake timing.

Ya, problem is, I've already machined the squish .050" and machined the bottom of the cylinder. So that said I've started making a spacer, almost done. I don't know how much more is safe to take out of the chamber, I don't want compression to be way outa hand, stock they are over 170.

Here is the start of the spacer, should be able to finish sometime today, then I can check timing and squish.

Machining the sides, and getting square.

attachment.php

Machining thickness.

attachment.php

Layout of holes and inside.

attachment.php

Finished outside dimensions and thickness.

attachment.php

Got the spacer finished up. I'm done cutting on metal for today, I enjoy this stuff, but hours of it at a time get to me. After porting the ex and int on the 372 then making this spacer, I'm tired, took longer then you'd think to make this spacer. Next time it'll be easier, wont need a spacer if ya don't machine the bottom of the cylinder.

Worked out real well. Intake timing is now at 161* duration. Exhaust is only at 145* duration, I think that can come up a little.:msp_smile: Squish is only at .0175-.018. Going to take a few though off the top of the piston. Plus the skirts are way wider on this piston. Should make a runner!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back