Modding the new MS201T - The truth inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MS201T again

I plan on sending my 201 in to brad after I break it in a little but in the mean time what's the recommended tune on it stock? I follow protocol and wait the 20 secs for adjustments but when I leaned the l screw it seemed to make throttle response worse. I opened it up a bit like the manual says and it got a little bit better but then sometime later I had a hard time just getting it to start. I ended up resetting all settings, then about a full turn rich and adjusted the idle. I set it down I'm too frustrated.

Don't worry about waiting for break-in. Send it to Brad right away. I can promise, along with many others, that you will be happy with the results. You will have a great saw to run which will only continue to improve.
SCH

Brad and others have mentioned that the newer ones are much better compared to the first ones on the market.

But for me the same counts what KenJax wrote. Why should I buy a saw (which costs more than the rest) and have to send it off to someone to have it modded so that it performs better than the rest and swallow the expenses when the performance gains are subdramatic compared to the what else the market offers!?

MS201T again

Brad and others have mentioned that the newer ones are much better compared to the first ones on the market.

But for me the same counts what KenJax wrote. Why should I buy a saw (which costs more than the rest) and have to send it off to someone to have it modded so that it performs better than the rest and swallow the expenses when the performance gains are subdramatic compared to the what else the market offers!?

Makes perfect sense, but he already owns the saw.

I have to 201T and 355T i really like both saws but the little in the 201T isn't worth the extra $250 IMO.

201T: $625 OTD+$50 for Brad's mods+$40 total for shipping to and returned from Brad=$715

355T: $449 OTD and honestly doesn't need to be modded to be a great saw and the power and torque isn't far behind the 201T even after the mods but if you read Randy's thread about the 355T there is a little more in there but if you're looking to save $250-$275 and want a saw to just buy and run stock look at the Echo you won't be disappointed.

I plan on sending my 201 in to brad after I break it in a little but in the mean time what's the recommended tune on it stock? I follow protocol and wait the 20 secs for adjustments but when I leaned the l screw it seemed to make throttle response worse. I opened it up a bit like the manual says and it got a little bit better but then sometime later I had a hard time just getting it to start. I ended up resetting all settings, then about a full turn rich and adjusted the idle. I set it down I'm too frustrated.

I find that most strato saw need the L leaned out for better throttle response.

I just picked up a nearly new 201T at a killer price. I already have four 200T's, and I don't really need that many trimming saws.

I am somewhat keen on keeping/modding the 201T, but I have a lot of years in on the 020/200T line of saws. I have never "modded" a saw, and I was imagining that I might do well at it.

I am seeking a pinch of advice: what would you do? Keep the 201 & mod it, then sell a 200T, or...just let the 201T go at a profit? (maybe mod, then sell?)

If you wanna sell a 200 I'd be interested!! I have both, brad modded my 201 and its a massive improvement over stock, it was $50 well spent and highly reccomended. I still love my 200 tho

MS201T again

I just picked up a nearly new 201T at a killer price. I already have four 200T's, and I don't really need that many trimming saws.

I am somewhat keen on keeping/modding the 201T, but I have a lot of years in on the 020/200T line of saws. I have never "modded" a saw, and I was imagining that I might do well at it.

I am seeking a pinch of advice: what would you do? Keep the 201 & mod it, then sell a 200T, or...just let the 201T go at a profit? (maybe mod, then sell?)

I suspect that, if you do the "mods a la Snelling", you won't want to sell it! If it's a profit you want, just sell it. If you want another great saw, you know what to do.

New MS 201T bought today

I've been using the 200T for 10 years - A Great Saw - and as luck would have it, it died and I needed a replacement right away. So I gritted my teeth and bought a 201.

A little sluggish compared to the 200T. Blipping the throttle it definitely does not have the same response as the 200T. It cut out a few times as it was idling but after a half hour or so it idled OK. Top end revs are no way close to the 200T. Cutting through some 14" limbs proved to be difficult.

I have read that the 201 runs better after a few tanks so hopefully that will be the case. I will definitely consider the mods at some point.

I will keep you all posted as this thing gets broken in.

I have found that as machinery gets labeled as "better for the environment" it is synonymous with "doesn't work as good" - we'll see.

I have found that as machinery gets labeled as "better for the environment" it is synonymous with "doesn't work as good" - we'll see.[/QUOTE]

Lol u got that right, that n this damn ethanol , I jus took all the carbs off my quads n dirt bikes cuz of that s*#t . I run super with stabilizer, no good!

Very kool information! On my way to do a little modding on my 201T it sure needs it, took it to dealer once after 20 tanks, he adjusted it, but didn't help.
So I took out the screen , then adjusted it myself runs ok but as I see here it can do better.

Thank you

Hi,
I'm currently working on a MS201t stihl saw. I have carried out the exhaust mods and removed the restrictor. I haven't been able to work out how to advance the timing on it yet. Can you give me some more details. I work at http://www.allmowers.com.au/

Thanks heaps
Tim

Hi,
I'm currently working on a MS201t stihl saw. I have carried out the exhaust mods and removed the restrictor. I haven't been able to work out how to advance the timing on it yet. Can you give me some more details. I work at http://www.allmowers.com.au/

Thanks heaps
Tim
Brad tells you how in the first page or two of this thread. It's very easy.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back