Modding the new MS201T - The truth inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry, im confused on the limiter part. once I drill out the rod what exactly do I suppose to remove? just unscrew the whole thing and remove it completely? please excuse my ignorance. thanks

sorry, im confused on the limiter part. once I drill out the rod what exactly do I suppose to remove? just unscrew the whole thing and remove it completely? please excuse my ignorance. thanks

Go back to page 1 and look at post #4 1st pic you can see the little hole where the rods was and the limiter that you pull out is stuck on the screw. Then look at the next pic it shows after the limiter is removed

If you're worried about messing it up just send it to him to do, he did mine and it screams mine was $50+shipping for everything he did in the video: muff mod,timing advance,and limiter removed.

Not sure if its still $50 PM him for info.

The ONLY you need to remove is the little rod that you drilled out. That simply allows a greater adjustment range for the needle. The saw would not run if you were to remove the needle. It will have to be adjusted after the mods are done. Yes, the price is still $50. I'm actually doing one this afternoon, and did a couple others recently.

201 muffler mod

Hey brad I saw the work you did on the 201, and I'd live to say great job!! I was also wondering if you would mod my saw if I shipped it to you? Thanks

limiter cap removal

There is an indentation on the cap that if you line it up with the piece you drilled out. The cap you slide out of there. With out any drilling. Great job on the saw. I did some of the same as you with great results. Thanks. Also did you remove the spark screen and put the screw back in. Or leave it in.
Of course, this meant the limiter must be removed on the carb. Theres a rod that must be drilled out that prevents you from pulling out the metal limiter. It was very easy to drill out, with no damage to the carb at all.
IMG8088-M.jpg

IMG8089-M.jpg

IMG8090-M.jpg

IMG8091-M.jpg

Hmmm, looks like a MS261 in there.
IMG8092-M.jpg

There is an indentation on the cap that if you line it up with the piece you drilled out. The cap you slide out of there. With out any drilling. Great job on the saw. I did some of the same as you with great results. Thanks. Also did you remove the spark screen and put the screw back in. Or leave it in.

If you dont remove the pin, how do you adjust your high screw up? I may be wrong, but if you remove the plug, how do you stick a screw driver in there to adjust it.

I drilled mine out, and replaced the part so i could still use a screw driver.

limiter cap

You can just pull the cap and leave it off. Or Make your adjustments and reinstall. When you remove the pin or the cap you end up with the same results. Just another way. Maybe easier then drilling . Once the cap is removed you can use a small Allen wrench to adjust the screw. Hope that helps or clarifies.

Ms201

With the alloy sleeve removed from the H needle you need a 2mm allen wrench to make adjustments. It is a royal pain to find your way into the 2mm recess in the needle to adjust. If you remove the alloy sleeve, then push the pin out from the inside, you can re-instal the alloy sleeve so that you have the funnel shaped sleeve to guide you into the slot for easy screwdriver use. It is even easier to simply drill out the pin after which you have nothing to re-instal. I think you have accomplished what you wanted & have the alloy sleeve in place for the easiest way to have unlimited adjustment. If my memory is correct, I used a 3/32in cobalt drill bit to remove the pin. It was a very quick & easy job which took all of 1 minute.

201 t

You are right in is easier to adjust carb. By drilling out the pin and putting the cap back on. Was just saying another way to do it that's all. Was thinking of the guys who might not want to drill it.

Stihl say 14,000 max high speed, I got 13,100 before the rev limiter kicked in. Do I need to go any higher than that. It seems to run well there.

Ms201

Stihl say 14,000 max high speed, I got 13,100 before the rev limiter kicked in. Do I need to go any higher than that. It seems to run well there.

For tuning follow the advice of Joe Kidd in posts 91 & 93. On my saw the limiter kicks in at 13,300, & it is way too rich at that setting. With proper tuning in the wood my saw is bouncing off of the limiter with no load. I can only guess that the no load RPM would be in the neighborhood of 14,000-14,500 if the coil was unlimited. At 13,300 it is heavily 4-stroking in the wood & well below peak power.

201T Carb limiter

All you have to do is drill out the limiting pin in the carb body. The pin just rides in a groove in the limit cap. If you leave the limit cap on the jet needle it will keep tension on the needle and will not vibrate loose. You can then use a screwdriver for adjusting. Has anyone tried drilling the muffler at an angle so you will not have to cut the grill on the side of the saw??

Bill

201 H needle

When my customer first reported that his 201's performance was lack-lustre, I drilled-out the limit stop for the H needle, and fattened 'er up a bit. The puck that sits on the needle itself remained in place, and permitted use of the trusty orange slot-screwdriver for adjusting.

Once that puck vanished, I found this Torx T8 screwdriver worked nicely. I marked an arrow on the handle to improve accuracy.

I drilled the muffler as shown by Brad. I don't see how drilling on angle would direct the gases up and over the plastics.

Latest posts

Back