Modern Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe the new poulans like to be thrashed on i have one that was under water for two days, after about four hours cleaning i had a another saw..

Free Poulan

My neighbor gave to me a new Poulan PRO PP4620AVHD that has only been started a few times, never cut any wood because he couldn't get the chain to turn. I looked it over, checked it with the chain brake off, and told him from what I see all it needs is a couple of bar plates, and offered to track them down on the internet, or cut some out of some spare sheet metal that I have. He told me to take the saw, try whatever, and keep it.

I'm thinking some Loctite and some extra holes in the muffler might be in order.

Bar plates

Poulan parts are cheap in USA, IPL's easy to find.
Muffler mods, I agree, a little work with a drill will let one breathe better.

It was a POS in every respect, not worth the fuel it cost to get it home from the store......Cliff

That 221 was tossed multiple times in anger one day, and I have taken some crap from my buds on it. It started on the first pull, but gave me an hour beer break between tanks. :laugh: The other reason to hate it, it led me here and to CAD.

omg just modded my mates poulan pn3414 exhaust then richened it a bit and i cant believe how smooth it revs up, how fast it cuts for its size and how it doesnt bog down barely into a cut, just hope it lasts its warrenty period

"Never did get that quite right eh? That's too bad. I love my 330, but I've only cut a dozen hours or so on it so far."

Nope, we gave it a good run, but after 3 different 330's all giving me troubles I couldn't sort out, I gave up on them. There were some lengthy threads running on my efforts, and of course, PLENTY of grumbling from the Poulan "cult" following, etc. FWIW, my troubles were all idle/stalling related, they ran fine in the cut, but not overly impressive for the weight, just decent. I don't cut for fun, and want dead-solid-reliable equipment when I head to the woods. The Poulan's didn't fall into that catagory, so they are no longer around.

I'm sure they made some good stuff at one point. Most of the modern department store stuff is disposable, IMHO. I get Crapsman and Walmart Poulan's brought in here from time to time, hate to see them coming, to be perfectly honest......Cliff

You mean you do not like working on them ?

Absolutely and without question the two WORST saws I ever owned were "re-badged" Poulan's. One was a Husqvarna 141, years before I knew they where they came from.

That saw was "possessed" as well. Average number of pulls to start it cold was about 30. It ran OK, but went into some sort of "vapor lock" or overheating problem about 1/2 to 2/3rd into every tank. You could FORGET about running it in hot/humid weather. Don't even think about getting it to start hot, or after re-fueling. The oil worked when it felt like it, which like my 30 year old son still living at home, wasn't very often! It was anemic in the cut, not impressive anyplace for power or cutting speed. Pretty much a disgrace to the Husqvarna line-up of chainsaws...what were they thinking?

I hate to even mention the little Sears saw we bought to cut out vents in floors back when I worked in my dad's Heating and Cooling business. We figured having a little saw would be helpful on new homes where we didn't have temporary power. It was a POS in every respect, not worth the fuel it cost to get it home from the store......Cliff

I have had good luck with the 36/136/41/141 saws. Now that the CAD has set in on you, I bet you could have the 141 running well in minutes. Sadly, it should not take a hobbyist to tune these things just so they can be used.

omg just modded my mates poulan pn3414 exhaust then richened it a bit and i cant believe how smooth it revs up, how fast it cuts for its size and how it doesnt bog down barely into a cut, just hope it lasts its warrenty period

warrenty was voided when you modded it.

For the cost, they can't be beat!!!
I have two that I've ported and muff modded and they really run great.
The lack of anti-vibe is a detraction but they were never designed to run long enough at one time for that to be an issue!

You have to remember the market segment these saws were designed for and marketed to.
They are for the homeowner who is tired of "that limb" knocking his hat off when he mows.
Or the guy that has a limb break off in a storm.
They aren't meant to be pro saws.

Look at it this way.
You have a couple of bigger limbs (10"-12") break off of your water maple trees in a wind storm. You run down to Wally World and pick up a $109.95 Wildthing (They usually comes with mix oil) and a jug of B/C oil.
You have $125.00 invested and you clean up your yard.
You can't get most tree services to come out and give you an estimate for that amount.
Additionally, you can sell the saw in your next yard sale for $50.00-$75.00 and your clean up gets real cheap.

That being said, I have a neighbor who run the SH!+ out of a Wildthing for 7 years cutting cedars during the winter while his construction job was down.
It was routine for him to run that saw for 6-10 hours a day, as hard as it would go.
Other than routine maint., chains and sprockets, he replaced 1 oiler.
That's it!
One oiler in 7 seasons!

It gives me a minor case of diaper rash to see people who buy a Ford Focus and complain that it isn't a Ferrari!

Mike

am i odd for letting someone borrow one of my 136's instead of a plasicy poulan
also once you get rid of the safety chain and throw some 3/8 low pro on it holy cr@p that saw comes alive

WOW this thread is filled with alot of interesting stories, cheers guys but as i am a noob i need help the statement above says safety chain but swap to a 3/8 lp. well dont they come with a 3/8lp and whats a safety chain?
also what is CAD?
All i know is this poulan is going off its head thanks to carby tune and muff mod and as for warrenty may as well just buy another if it dies

WOW this thread is filled with alot of interesting stories, cheers guys but as i am a noob i need help the statement above says safety chain but swap to a 3/8 lp. well dont they come with a 3/8lp and whats a safety chain?
also what is CAD?
All i know is this poulan is going off its head thanks to carby tune and muff mod and as for warrenty may as well just buy another if it dies

Welcome to the site!!!
There are several different types of "safety chain".
They, as well as the "non safety" types are covered well at the Oregon site.

http://www.oregonchain.com/pro/products/chain/pro_main_sawchain.htm

Cad is an acronym for Chainsaw Addiction (or sometimes acquisition) Disease.
It is highly contagious and you WILL be infected if you hang out around here.

Mike

Been working a couple for some years- 2400 and 2150. Neither are potential heirlooms, but they can be worked pretty hard and cost little. If they go "poof" the bars/chains fit lots of other models.
The 3400 is another story.

I've seen a lot of $5 chainsaws at yard sales, flea markets, etc. with $40 bar and chains on them. Sometimes I'll buy a saw like this if I need a bar or chain.

ok so my mate has come to the conclusion the saw is running really good but when its warm it is a :censored: to start but other than that i think we have got everything right on it, well its lasted 10 hours so far.
Most stories i have heard they havnt lasted straight out the box

My little 3516AVX Poulan Pro is pretty good. Cost me $80 brand new. Made the carbs adjustable with a regular screwdriver. Did a muffler mod and it really woke it up. Starts great. Finally wore out 2 safety chains and mounted a Total Super Bar with good chain.

If not for this site pointing me in the direction of the muffler mod, I would not have a use for this saw. Basically useless out of the box.

Some OM's say to put on 1/2 choke when starting warm....

I've never had to do that. Normally it is a problem with the vent in the cap if it starts hard, at least in my experience.

plastic Poulan PP260 beater saw

I have one used for a cleanup saw, it will run OK till gas tank is about
1/2, then start running lean. The gas cap has the vent.
It was inexpensive when new as a display model, OK for occasional
use, but I would not recommend one for serious woodcutting.

mate has been using his for serious woodcutting and his grand father has a 2252? which seams to be identicle and uses it for a door jam but he always goes back to his huskies and stihls as i found quiet the collection today of about 20 saws i never knew he had

Latest posts

Back