Modern Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any one have problems with fuel caps?

on my 18inch pro ive bought 3 fuel caps, the new one will screw on fine and unscrew fine after u leave it on the saw for 2 months the plastic seems to shrink onto the saw threads, the only way to get it on and off is with vice grips. anyone else?

on my 18inch pro ive bought 3 fuel caps, the new one will screw on fine and unscrew fine after u leave it on the saw for 2 months the plastic seems to shrink onto the saw threads, the only way to get it on and off is with vice grips. anyone else?

Everyone else!

They changed the plastic and the new ones aren't supposed to do that but there apparently is a BOATLOAD of the old NOS ones out there.
I have some that do and some that don't.
If you will take the old ones and lay them up for a few months they will usually shrink back down and be good for a while.

Mike

lmao, i noticed that, i have to rotate them, use one for a few months, take it off, cap 2 will screw on fine, then cap 2 will get stuck again, then screw on cap 3, vice grip it off..... repeat next time i bought the saw used and i assumed some one cross threaded it cuse i couldnt get the cap off to look at it, other then that i havent a problem with anything else on it, it actually runs very good, cuts decent. underpowered a bit but starts up in 2 pulls cold after sitting a month or two. probly my last saw i pick to use for anything but not bad like people say mine has the actual bar nuts instead of the crappy tooless system

Last edited:

I had this problem on the plastic bodied poulans I have had in the past, no issues with the 330.

Same here. Came to the conclusion that the outer diameter of the threads was to big. Shaved it a little with a knife to no avail. Took it over to my bench grinder and let the wire wheel spin a little plastic off the threads. Viola! Works great.

Did I say "useless out of the box"?

Just BTW. I still have my tool-less chain tensioner. It works OK but if it ever gives me problems, I think I will just shave the garbage off the cover down to where I can just use two nuts. I think my 7" hand grinder will do the job nicely.

i'm also lookin a getting rid of the tool less adjuster on my newest saw (by brother did't think of putting bar oil in it gave up the tossed it into the bushes)

i pliers is a must have tool when i carry my poulans. i did shave a little off one cap .it worked for a while then tightened up again. i believe it is the type of plastic vs gas possible ethenal contact? because of useing pliers a lose life on the o-rings so i keep a couple in my tool kit( i tend to over tighten with pliers)

channel lock pliers

They are a must have when using the PP260 if gasahol has been in the tank
long.

i pliers is a must have tool when i carry my poulans. i did shave a little off one cap .it worked for a while then tightened up again. i believe it is the type of plastic vs gas possible ethenal contact? because of useing pliers a lose life on the o-rings so i keep a couple in my tool kit( i tend to over tighten with pliers)

It is the ethanol, causes the plastic to swell. I only use pliers to take the cap off, put it on by hand.

They have these Poulan 3414's for sale at the mitre 10 here in New Zealand for $199 New Zealand Dollars. This is very cheap. Are these any good, or just absolute rubbish, and I would be better off to save up and get a Dolmar or something like that.

I just want to cut up a bit of firewood every year for my log burner.

Cheers,

Sam

well i went threw about 4 of them PP4218avx saws in like 2 years they just won't stand up to the punishment like the older models do.but i got one right now that i'm parting out because the piston and cylinder are toasted.

Back