Modern Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zogger,

I took the part number directly off the IPL. It is a screw for attaching the isolator spring to the crank case. Thanks, Islero:smile2:

The IPL I looked at says that screw is #15 (I think, you look at it) in the diagram and different. Your screw number is for on the handle (#3). I have that exact saw here I found out. Verify it and send me an addy by PM and I'll mail you the screw.

Parts and Diagrams for Poulan / Weed Eater PP4218AVX Gas Saw, 4218AVX - Poulan Pro

this site cost me 300.......and counting.

Welcome to the site!!!
There are several different types of "safety chain".
They, as well as the "non safety" types are covered well at the Oregon site.

OREGON brand 3/8" pitch chain saw chain for professional chainsaw users

Cad is an acronym for Chainsaw Addiction (or sometimes acquisition) Disease.
It is highly contagious and you WILL be infected if you hang out around here.

Mike
haha no doubt this place is addictive . thanks guys uve cost me 300 . jk its worth it listen to the experts and youl save some money and learn ALOT:bowdown:

have a 2075 for 14ish years still cuttin, 4018 for 9ish years still cuttin. quite honestly for the money they are the best saws made.why? well BOTH have been thrown across the yard several times,dropped many times ,kicked ,screamed at ..... and both are still alive and kicking.

I really don't think people should compare the plastic Poulans to Stihl, Husky or Echo saws. I've seen the Poulan saws sell in department stores for as little as $69.95 or maybe less..don't see very many Stihls for that price. Let's compare something else if you're into apples and oranges, how about comparing a Poulan Super 25DA to a Stihl 180C. I currently own both and consider the old Poulan a much better saw, even at the same price, which it isn't.

I really don't think people should compare the plastic Poulans to Stihl, Husky or Echo saws. I've seen the Poulan saws sell in department stores for as little as $69.95 or maybe less..don't see very many Stihls for that price. Let's compare something else if you're into apples and oranges, how about comparing a Poulan Super 25DA to a Stihl 180C. I currently own both and consider the old Poulan a much better saw, even at the same price, which it isn't.
Why on earth not? Because of the name and the selling price? This has been a point I've made before - an MS250 is built almost exactly the same as a plastic Poulan, using the same materials and construction. They each have minor pluses and minuses, but there is little difference. I've had an MS250 and my 42cc Craftsman and they are pretty much the same. The MS250 has 3cc more displacement, an inboard clutch and 0.325 chain vs. LoPro. If you compare the MS250 to a new PP4218AV they are even more similar, as the PP4218AV has an inboard clutch and a chain brake with two mounting points. The Poulans are also strato and have a better bar stud design, and carbs with all the adjuster screws. I can't imagine why anyone would buy an MS250 over a PP5020AV.

But people buy based on brand name and perceived value derived from selling price, rather than looking at actual content. This is a consequence of our non-stop marketing and advertising culture, and of a lot of people having a lot extra disposable income. I saw the receipt in the bag for my Dad's MS250C, and he paid $409 for the thing because he wanted a "good" saw. What he got for that is almost identical to what you'd get in a Poulan for a lot less. On top of that it was defective and the dealer (who clearly overcharged him) did not fix what was a minor problem and told him some stupid story about having sent it back to the factory to be fixed. So I don't buy that the quality is higher or that's it's a better "value" either. It's a plastic clamsell homeowner saw that happens to say "Stihl" on it.

People thought you shouldn't compare a BMW, Mercedes or Audi to a Toyota either. And then Lexus ate their lunch, because in fact there was not enough content there to justify the price difference. In this case the cheap saws from both brands are actually US made, and in my experience they're very effective tools, but people never tire of trashing them.

Why on earth not? Because of the name and the selling price? This has been a point I've made before - an MS250 is built almost exactly the same as a plastic Poulan, using the same materials and construction. They each have minor pluses and minuses, but there is little difference. I've had an MS250 and my 42cc Craftsman and they are pretty much the same. The MS250 has 3cc more displacement, an inboard clutch and 0.325 chain vs. LoPro. If you compare the MS250 to a new PP4218AV they are even more similar, as the PP4218AV has an inboard clutch and a chain brake with two mounting points. The Poulans are also strato and have a better bar stud design, and carbs with all the adjuster screws. I can't imagine why anyone would buy an MS250 over a PP5020AV.

But people buy based on brand name and perceived value derived from selling price, rather than looking at actual content. This is a consequence of our non-stop marketing and advertising culture, and of a lot of people having a lot extra disposable income. I saw the receipt in the bag for my Dad's MS250C, and he paid $409 for the thing because he wanted a "good" saw. What he got for that is almost identical to what you'd get in a Poulan for a lot less. On top of that it was defective and the dealer (who clearly overcharged him) did not fix what was a minor problem and told him some stupid story about having sent it back to the factory to be fixed. So I don't buy that the quality is higher or that's it's a better "value" either. It's a plastic clamsell homeowner saw that happens to say "Stihl" on it.

People thought you shouldn't compare a BMW, Mercedes or Audi to a Toyota either. And then Lexus ate their lunch, because in fact there was not enough content there to justify the price difference. In this case the cheap saws from both brands are actually US made, and in my experience they're very effective tools, but people never tire of trashing them.

For that excellent post you got a MEGA shot of MOPAREP!!!!!
I have been preaching this same argument for years now.
I hope they will listen to you, but they probably won't.
People tend to get very angry and/or closed minded when you point out how they were duped by orange plastic.
It reminds me of the story of "The Kings New Clothes" everytime I think of it.

Don't get me wrong.
I'm not saying that the Stihl 170-250 saws are trash, just that there isn't anything that would make them worth the cost difference!

Mike

I tested my PP260 42cc with PS3 chain 3/8LP and my like new 025 45cc with 325 RSC chain.

The PP260 would out cut the 025 every cut tested and is better built then the 025 IMO. I had them side by side comparing build. :msp_wink:

Not to mention the PP is much easier to work on.

I tested my PP260 42cc with PS3 chain 3/8LP and my like new 025 45cc with 325 RSC chain.

The PP260 would out cut the 025 every cut tested and is better built then the 025 IMO. I had them side by side comparing build. :msp_wink:

Not to mention the PP is much easier to work on.
My 42cc Craftsman is basically the same as your PP260 but without the chrome cylinder. With a mild muffler mod it is not lacking for power at all, nor is it loud. I did this cut on a big oak just for fun, and was very pleasantly surprised at how fast and easy it cut it:
235996d1335647557-log800-jpg

It is not my fastest or lightest saw, but it is a very capable tool.

I have to agree that for a clamshell saw it is hard to beat the value in a poulan, the whole key is to get it set up right from the get go. It means making sure the bar is attached PROPERLY!, chain is running in the right direction, and the carb is tuned for local conditions.

I have had many poulans come through my door after being declared junk by there owners because they wouldn't start or idle, or they would fall on there face during the transition out of the low circuit. 5 minutes spent checking it over and heading out the back door with the spline drive tool and every time the saw ends up running right. Have not had a customer complain yet that I made there saw run right.

I also introduce some of them to my PP295 that has a muffler mod and the proper sized bar on it and she has sold some saw mods after they run her through a biscuit or two.

They run well when they can breath, just like us, sucks running down the road with a choker around your neck, just think of how the saw feels.

I have to agree that for a clamshell saw it is hard to beat the value in a poulan, the whole key is to get it set up right from the get go. It means making sure the bar is attached PROPERLY!, chain is running in the right direction, and the carb is tuned for local conditions.

I have had many poulans come through my door after being declared junk by there owners because they wouldn't start or idle, or they would fall on there face during the transition out of the low circuit. 5 minutes spent checking it over and heading out the back door with the spline drive tool and every time the saw ends up running right. Have not had a customer complain yet that I made there saw run right.

I also introduce some of them to my PP295 that has a muffler mod and the proper sized bar on it and she has sold some saw mods after they run her through a biscuit or two.

They run well when they can breath, just like us, sucks running down the road with a choker around your neck, just think of how the saw feels.
Unlike the Wild Thing - based saws, the PP295 type are light, fairly narrow and well balanced. And they make quite good power with a muffler mod. I'm having fun with my 2775 with a mildly ported 49cc PP315 motor in it.

I agree with about all you said..of course then there's that nagging thing about resale value. After you get done using these saws in a similar manner, put them both on ebay and sell them. You'll get the idea.
Don't get the idea I'm not a Poulan fan, I have a truckload of them here but I'm not a big fan of any of the newer saws, I don't think any of them are made to last as long as the old saws. I have a few old Stihls also, same thing applies to them.

I agree with about all you said..of course then there's that nagging thing about resale value. After you get done using these saws in a similar manner, put them both on ebay and sell them. You'll get the idea.
Don't get the idea I'm not a Poulan fan, I have a truckload of them here but I'm not a big fan of any of the newer saws, I don't think any of them are made to last as long as the old saws. I have a few old Stihls also, same thing applies to them.
I think if you buy homeowner grade saws the resale issue is really pretty irrelevant. If I buy a tool for $200 or less (usually much less), I'm not expecting to sell it. It would be a terrible investment. In fact most of the ones I buy are used, and I don't expect to pay more than a tiny fraction of what it cost new - pretty much pocket change.

There's no doubt an MS250 will be "worth" more than a Poulan in a couple of years in terms of money, but both will have lost so much of their original value in terms of money that it doesn't matter much. If one values them in terms other than money - as wood cutting tools for instance - they'll both still be quite valuable if they were cared for. And that is how I look at them, as tools.

I think if you buy homeowner grade saws the resale issue is really pretty irrelevant. If I buy a tool for $200 or less (usually much less), I'm not expecting to sell it. It would be a terrible investment. In fact most of the ones I buy are used, and I don't expect to pay more than a tiny fraction of what it cost new - pretty much pocket change.

There's no doubt an MS250 will be "worth" more than a Poulan in a couple of years in terms of money, but both will have lost so much of their original value in terms of money that it doesn't matter much. If one values them in terms other than money - as wood cutting tools for instance - they'll both still be quite valuable if they were cared for. And that is how I look at them, as tools.

I'm probably looking at it from a different angle than you are. I generally buy only used saws also and don't cut wood very often with them but occasionally use them for cleanup around here when a tree or limb falls or someone has some firewood to cut. I use all brands of saws and am familiar with their prices because I also repair and sell saws. I'm not saying that Stihl is better, just that the buying public sure thinks they are and the higher prices they bring is the proof.
Quote from my neighbor: "The best saw is one that will start easy, run good and has a sharp chain."

This is true but lets look at it another way.
If you buy an MS250 for around $350.00, use it 5 years and sell it on eBay for $200.00.
I buy a PP260 for $139.95, use it the same 5 years and sell it on eBay for $50.00 who lost the bigger amount of money???

I do understand your point that you are using the ORIGINAL owners depreciation to your advantage by buying used, performing any necessary repairs and doing a tune up and flipping it for a profit. That is a lot harder to do with a Poulan because a used non runner will usually bring as much (or more) than a used runner.

The Stihl still had the greater amount of depreciation for the original purchaser.
(Not to mention that you will still be tied to the Stihl dealer and their "proprietary parts" crap and capricious pricing but that is another story altogether)

Mike

This is true but lets look at it another way.
If you buy an MS250 for around $350.00, use it 5 years and sell it on eBay for $200.00.
I buy a PP260 for $139.95, use it the same 5 years and sell it on eBay for $50.00 who lost the bigger amount of money???

I do understand your point that you are using the ORIGINAL owners depreciation to your advantage by buying used, performing any necessary repairs and doing a tune up and flipping it for a profit. That is a lot harder to do with a Poulan because a used non runner will usually bring as much (or more) than a used runner.

The Stihl still had the greater amount of depreciation for the original purchaser.
(Not to mention that you will still be tied to the Stihl dealer and their "proprietary parts" crap and capricious pricing but that is another story altogether)

Mike

Yep, that's true also. I do have trouble making any money of Stihl saws because of the high price of parts, if there's very much wrong with them to start with. I don't buy many plastic Poulans because of their low prices when I resell them and I have a tendency to keep all the metal ones when I buy them. I've sold a few metal Poulans but I really hate to...

Latest posts

Back