Modern Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have these Poulan 3414's for sale at the mitre 10 here in New Zealand for $199 New Zealand Dollars. This is very cheap. Are these any good, or just absolute rubbish, and I would be better off to save up and get a Dolmar or something like that.

I just want to cut up a bit of firewood every year for my log burner.

Cheers,

Sam

Sam,

A lot of it is as simple as "You get out of it, what you put into it"!

If you abuse and fail to maintain it, a Stihl or Dolmar will be toast in short order.
Properly card for the little Poulan will last several years for cutting firewood.
Keep it and especially its fuel clean, keep the chain sharp and oiled, use it frequently (or at least start it once a week) tune it just a little on the fat side, keep in mind that the chain brake is for emergencies and not to set when you are just walking around and you will like it.
Just remember that it is a cheap saw and isn't designed to cut cord after cord of firewood every year and last forever.
Hope this helps,

Mike

Sam,

A lot of it is as simple as "You get out of it, what you put into it"!

If you abuse and fail to maintain it, a Stihl or Dolmar will be toast in short order.
Properly card for the little Poulan will last several years for cutting firewood.
Keep it and especially its fuel clean, keep the chain sharp and oiled, use it frequently (or at least start it once a week) tune it just a little on the fat side, keep in mind that the chain brake is for emergencies and not to set when you are just walking around and you will like it.
Just remember that it is a cheap saw and isn't designed to cut cord after cord of firewood every year and last forever.
Hope this helps,

Mike

This is true. I cut 20+ cord with one of those style Poulans and it did the trick since at the time it was what I could afford.

**edit**
I should note it still ran when I got rid of it, I just wanted to upgrade.

They have these Poulan 3414's for sale at the mitre 10 here in New Zealand for $199 New Zealand Dollars. This is very cheap. Are these any good, or just absolute rubbish, and I would be better off to save up and get a Dolmar or something like that.

I just want to cut up a bit of firewood every year for my log burner.

Cheers,

Sam

As others have said, they are what they are. $199 is a bit higher than what they sell for here, but I think with the exchange and differences in cost of living, thats probably on par. I have a 3416 that works fine. It was the first saw I ever bought and it is still up on my shelf (partially because it has no resale value!) and fires up right away when needed.

If you take care of it, keep the chain sharp (actually, upgrading the chain from the start may be a good choice) then it will likely be ok for your needs.

The biggest problem I have will all of the green poulans is the lack of anti vibration. 1/2 hr with those things and I feel like my hands are numb. The Poulan Pros do have decent anti vibe though.

This one is a black one. It has an anti-vibration system fitted to it, so it won't be too bad in that respect.

Maybe I'll buy one and just get a bigger old second hand saw for doing the serious stuff.

I had an old dolmar 118 from about 1972 which I brought second hand for 25 dollars which went great guns, but unfortunately someone else's needs were greater than mine, and it was stolen.

I have a pp220 42cc with a 16" bar that just runs all day.I put an 18" bar and didn't slow it down.Bought it in a pawn shop in Reno Nevada.

New model cc ?

I have several of the little Poulans that run great.They are not for serious wood cutting.But I know lots of people that cut cord after cord with them.I have tore down 6 or 8 of the 3314-3516-4018-4218.They all have the same motor in them?If you look at the date tag on them they all say 42cc?I don't know if there all the same or what?Any ideas?

I have several of the little Poulans that run great.They are not for serious wood cutting.But I know lots of people that cut cord after cord with them.I have tore down 6 or 8 of the 3314-3516-4018-4218.They all have the same motor in them?If you look at the date tag on them they all say 42cc?I don't know if there all the same or what?Any ideas?

It appears that Poulan is using "badge engineering". IE - they are all the same, but they change the label to sell some for more money than others. If you're curious, look up the parts (specifically piston, cylinder and crankshaft) to see if they are the same: Ordertree.com | Craftsman Lawn Mower Parts | Ryobi Parts | Fishing and Gun Accessories | Power Equipment | Lawn and Garden Tools

Screw For Poulan Pro 4218AVX

Greetings,

Does anyone know where I can obtain or purchase one (1) screw for an insolator spring for the Poulan Pro 4218AVX? I am looking to purchase it and it does not have to be new. The screw part number from the IPL is: 530016443. I am also willing to pay a reasonable price, but I refuse to pay $6.00-$8.00 postage. Thanks, Islero :)

PS The rebuild has gone well, but that is for another time. Again thanks!!

OK, you die hards are going to hate me for this. The other day it was like 95 degrees in the shade. I went up the road to collect some ash and maple the power company left. Made 3-4 cuts with my pride and joy MS441-M, then shut it down to move the wood. I could NOT get that Stihl to restart! It just refused. Had to finish with the old plastic WILD THING, go figure. A few hours later the Stihl was fine. I took it as a sign that the mighty Stihl was going to take my leg off that day. My Wild Thing has been a very good saw. starts, idles, no problems. Ran right with my friend's 026. It just likes a sharp chain, and some patience. George

Greetings,

Does anyone know where I can obtain or purchase one (1) screw for an insolator spring for the Poulan Pro 4218AVX? I am looking to purchase it and it does not have to be new. The screw part number from the IPL is: 530016443. I am also willing to pay a reasonable price, but I refuse to pay $6.00-$8.00 postage. Thanks, Islero :)

PS The rebuild has gone well, but that is for another time. Again thanks!!

Does the same screw cross reference with any other models? I might have a junker poulan pro under the bench with the correct screw. I know I don't have that exact model though.

I just looked, this is a screw this size "M 5.0 X 0.8" you might could snag one at your nearest hardware store for that matter, although I guess you live out in the serious boonies?

Ha! Looked at an IPL, little short guys that hold the smaller piece of the handle on? That's what that number shows up as.

I don't have to tell anybody about financial situations we've all been there I'm sure. But my first saw was for firewood three winters ago. I believe it was 60 bucks from Rurel King. A refurb Woodshark 33cc. I was a complete greenhorn with power saws but I took to it naturally you guys would have been proud. I learned everything on that saw. I cut maybe 10 or 12 truck loads of timber with that thing and it ran real strong. I was impressed with my little 60 dollar saw. I cleaned it every time I was done I took care of it because it was all I had and I had a house to heat. It finally started doing the not wanting to idle thing my second winter and I didn't no what that ment I just ran that thing until it wouldn't run at all. It paid for itself maybe ten times or more so I did get my money's worth and I learned a lot. I found this site because of that saw. Now I have a little ms180 and an old homey super auto for the firewood duties. I think maybe I can keep one of em runnin for a while now I know a lil more about saws.

hmmm

could i put a stihl rsc chain on my 42cc poulan?

Does the same screw cross reference with any other models? I might have a junker poulan pro under the bench with the correct screw. I know I don't have that exact model though.

I just looked, this is a screw this size "M 5.0 X 0.8" you might could snag one at your nearest hardware store for that matter, although I guess you live out in the serious boonies?

Ha! Looked at an IPL, little short guys that hold the smaller piece of the handle on? That's what that number shows up as.

zogger,

I've written down the screw size for my next trip to Home Depot. I know that the PP 4218avx cross references with other models but I do not know which ones. However, I am sure I will be able to find a screw to hold that isolator spring. By the way, the rebuild has gone smooth. The chainsaw right now is at the Stihl dealership to have the carb. tuned. I did not feel comfortable with tuning it considering what killed it originally.

In addition, thanks for your response and suggestion. Have a good one, Islero :msp_smile:

Funny old thread - so many superstitions and old wives tales about these Poulans, as if they were built any differently than other plastic homeowner saws. If I had to keep one saw for firewood cutting, it would be my '98 42cc Craftsman/Poulan (basically a Wild Thing in gray with A/V). I know it will always run, has plenty of power (with just a muffler mod), and can handle the vast majority of wood I need to cut. It's also good on fuel, easy to work on and there are about a bazillion of them out there, so I don't need an intact global supply chain to get parts. Which will become important before long.

The newer strato saws are appealing to me, with internal clutches and brake handles with two attachment points. I expect I'll find one at some point. There are several distinct product families with considerable differences, and I started a document some time ago on that but never finished it. If I get it farther along I'll put it in this thread.

zogger,

I've written down the screw size for my next trip to Home Depot. I know that the PP 4218avx cross references with other models but I do not know which ones. However, I am sure I will be able to find a screw to hold that isolator spring. By the way, the rebuild has gone smooth. The chainsaw right now is at the Stihl dealership to have the carb. tuned. I did not feel comfortable with tuning it considering what killed it originally.

In addition, thanks for your response and suggestion. Have a good one, Islero :msp_smile:

You are welcome. I was just wondering if you identified the correct screw. In the IPL is lists the screw you mentioned by number as #3 for the handle, but I *think* you mean screw #15.

Funny that this thread has been brought back to life just as I've started trying to fix a freinds of mine PP SM4218AV. It seems that either the recoil housing, or the pulley that holds the rope is bad. It was hanging up when pulled out. I replaced the recoil spring and also the spring thats behind the gear that engages the flywheel. And it does the same thing. If the allen screw is left loose the rope recoils fine.

Anyhow, I'm looking for a recoil for one of these and my question is which of the Craftsman saws would have a recoil that would work on this Poulan? Do the Craftsmans have that spring assist behind the gear that engages the flywheel?

This is what I've learned about the older plastic Poulan saws – by older I mean pre-strato engines. There are similar Craftsman versions of many of these (not the Husqvarna), which sometimes have slightly different mix of features.

Poulan Wild Thing

Models include the 1950, 2050, 2055, 2150, 2175, 2375, PP210, PP262 in displacements from 33cc to 42cc. There is no anti-vibe and they can be identified by the primer bulb and the distinctive vertical duct bulge that runs from the top of the recoil cover into the top cover. They're not that light and fairly wide, but not too bad either.

The engine is a basic clamshell type with a slug piston and open single transfers. The connecting rod is a flat cross section (stamped?), but is fairly thick and I've not heard of this being a weakness. Flywheels have deep fins and they appear to move a lot of air.

Some have chain brakes, some don't. Clutches are outboard type with simple spur drive sprockets. All use 3/8 LoPro chain. Most use Walbro WT carbs and foam air filter that works OK if it's oiled. The plastic clutch cover/chain brake tend to warp a bit over time, especially with heat from the clutch area, as they are supported only at the bar studs. Bar studs are toggle head bolts and go though the plastic case (as opposed to being threaded into the plastic like an MS250).

Poulan 2250

Models include the 2250, 2550, 2555, PP220, PP230, PP260, in displacements from 36cc to 42cc. These are the same basic design as the Wild Thing family, but have A/V. The A/V uses a spring-type suspension for isolation, which tends to be rather soft and allows a fair amount of movement, but it is smooth. There are considerable differences in the choke and throttle linkages, on/off switch, the carb, the top cover and the air filter mount. The top cover on these has two internal ridges that help keep the air filter seated, which the Wild Thing ones do not have. The choke is located on a terrible position and is really hard to access with gloves.

Chain brakes were optional. All use 3/8 LoPro chain.

Poulan 2500

Models include the 2500, 2550, 2600, 2700, 2750, 2775, 3050, PP255, PP295, PP4620, PP310, PP315, as well as the Jonsered 2036 and 2040. Displacements run from 36cc to 49cc. There is no primer bulb, and the Jonsered versions have a different shaped recoil and top cover just for decoration. The engines in this family are different from those in the Wild Thing family saws. For one, the crank is about 1/2” narrower, and the flywheel has shallower fins, allowing the whole saw to be lighter and much narrower as well. They are about 10lbs.

The connecting rod has an I-beam cross section. They use a chromed bore. The exhaust port shape is very similar to the Wild Thing, but the intake is a bit different. These saws respond very well to opening up the muffler and make a surprising amount of power for their displacement. They use Walbro WT carbs and a flocked air filter.

There is an external handle frame with a spring-type suspension for isolation, which tends to be rather soft.

Some of these are labeled “Turbo” and some are “Super Clean” - the Turbo versions use the small scoop by the flywheel fan to keep debris out of the airbox, while the Super Clean ones just have a pickup in the air stream between the cylinder and the carb. Only the Super Clean type parts are available any more, but they mostly interchange – there are some differences between early and later saws regarding the intake boot and impulse line.

Chain brakes are on most later saws. Most of these use 0.325” chain.

I have found three design weaknesses on these saws. First, the muffler heat shield on earlier Type I saws fatigue fails in the area around the muffler outlet. If you have a chain brake it can melt when the deflector falls off, and heat damage around the muffler is common. Second, the engine mount screws often back out. There is no locking hardware and they sit in a floating shoulder bushing that can spin so it would not work well anyway. Locktite will not work well with the thread type on the original screws. Many saws have been damaged by lost or broken screws. Last, the A/V mounts are easily damaged if the saw gets pinched and a gorilla tries to yank it out.

Husqvarna 36

Models include the 36, 136, 141, 142 in displacements from 36cc to 40cc. These use the same engine family as the Poulan 2500 series, but have a different “saddle” type case that fits over the handle/tank and has rubber A/V mounts. The A/V system allows less movement than the spring types used on the Poulans. The size and weight is about the same as the Poulan 2500 family. The air filter looks similar to the 2500 but is slightly different, and all use the Turbo filter scoop. Some of these are 0.325” and some are 3/8 LoPro chain, and the 142s came with 0.043” Microlite. Clutches, drive sprockets and bars interchange on all these saws.

The 142e saws come with catalyst mufflers that are very restrictive. With a little bit of work the muffler and heat shield can be replaced with the parts from the 141, which really helps power.

You are welcome. I was just wondering if you identified the correct screw. In the IPL is lists the screw you mentioned by number as #3 for the handle, but I *think* you mean screw #15.

zogger,

I took the part number directly off the IPL. It is a screw for attaching the isolator spring to the crank case. Thanks, Islero:smile2:

Latest posts

Back