Moisture meters, what are u using?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, FlyingDutchman.
People are simply tired of surprises and faults hoods.
Although I currently don't use a meter, I do ask, and encourage, people if they would like to come and look at the firewood before purchasing. They are more than welcome to bring a moisture meter.
I guess the issue is ugly wood from seasoning.
If they would buy it green, knowing it's up to them to season, it's great looking fresh split. However, a wet humid summer like we have had this year, some of the wood, although 18 months cut/split/seasoned, on the surface looks rough with white mold or fungus on some of the wood. Most firewood in the same bundles look great.
What I've done is culled out the uglies so far and stacked them in our wood shed for us to burn.
I am considering buying a meter, dedicated for firewood, to be able to show it's seasoned. I, myself, have never had a need for one.
I have bought stickered rough sawn cherry. Never metered it. Didn't have any issues.

I have the stihl labeled meter for several years. Tends to eat batteries in there the small zinc oxide batteries. I have kind of circle back to the clink clank clunk sound test but I don’t sell anything. I think for sale it would be a good tool

Great firewood selling tool. Just understand that you will have to grab a few test splits. Re-split them. Test the freshly exposed inner surface. Testing anywhere else is a waste of time. These test splits should really be at room temp also as most homeowner grade moisture meters are calibrated to function correctly at 70F. There is an air temp to moisture content scale that you can apply to cold tested wood. I have a copy saved somewhere if you want it.

My moisture meter is a Fleabay $15 +,- delivered special straight from china........ :surprised3: There are several to choose from. All about the same 2 pin style. Mine takes a set of batteries a year. They cost almost as much as the meter.
You can also get (normally?) a nicer unit at most big box stores for $30-$40.

I have a General from Lowes with (I think) a 9 volt battery that lasts a long time. I also have one from Harbor freight with the button batteries and it eats batteries like crazy so I might as well toss it. Both work good.

I dont use one anymore. I did at first to help watch the moisture the first 2 years when i was getting my wood pile stocked up.

Now im 3 years ahead and dont check anymore. I just try to stay 2-3 years ahead and im good

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

Bought this on ebay for about $14. I have no real idea how it might stack up to an expensive one, but the readings are consistent throughout a pile of wood split and stacked from the same tree at the same time.

MM.JPG

General brand from Lowe's. U gotta cut the wood in half to get a accurate eatinh. The ends dry up very fast. And will give u a very low reading after only few days sometimes. Cut the piece in half to get to the center and will give u a true reading. I use it for wood slabs too. Firewood can be done by hand to by weight and feel once u get good

Latest posts

Back