More chipper stuff, Bandit 250XP disc refresh

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please check with Bandit as they may sell a remanufactured disc. You're right that there might be liability issues when selling other than new.

I just called bandit and explained my situation to the guy. He seemed pretty cool and agreed that that's not a lot of hours. I sent him some pics of my disk and am waiting to hear back. We'll see how they handle this. And yes, they do recondition disks, don't know how much $ yet though. The price on a new disk was repulsive.

It will be expensive either way you go. I wish there was a chipper grave yard somewhere so we had access to good used parts.

Good luck!

I don't think the grave yard would do any good if the disks are only good for 1500 hours.

And thanks.

Edit: oh, and so much for the even wear theory. One pocket has all the shoulders protecting the nuts, but they're all missing from the other.

Last edited:
More chipper info

You have made a good point about the used parts. I would also ask Bandit if they could hard face it while they're at it. If not, I would have someone do it prolonging the life of the disc.

You have made a good point about the used parts. I would also ask Bandit if they could hard face it while they're at it. If not, I would have someone do it prolonging the life of the disc.

I got a price of $1500 from bandit to hardface the disk for me (I think that was including new knives and bolts). They recommended I take it to a dealer in my state that can do it. I have some other wear issues with the slide box that probably needs some hard face action too, so I'll probably have them do that too (when I can afford it). If the dealer isn't going to do any special balancing, I might see if I can just find a good welder to do it.

So all and all, not completely horrible.. just another thing to add to the list.

I got a price of $1500 from bandit to hardface the disk for me (I think that was including new knives and bolts). They recommended I take it to a dealer in my state that can do it. I have some other wear issues with the slide box that probably needs some hard face action too, so I'll probably have them do that too (when I can afford it). If the dealer isn't going to do any special balancing, I might see if I can just find a good welder to do it.

So all and all, not completely horrible.. just another thing to add to the list.

MDS, I too called Bandit this morning and sent them pics. They told me to do just what I planned, do a build up and grind it back flush but they use a 7018 rod which I have a rod oven full of. So that's what I'm going to do except will do a cover pass with a hard surface rod just to see if it slows down the wear. I guess there is not a lot of wear as it has moved a lot of material. I too have the same issue on the nut pockets, one side is perfect and the other end of the wheel has worn through. Here is my updated pics, wish you were closer, I'd weld it for ya but I would just take it to a local weld shop with the cover off the disc, just make sure they ground to the wheel as close to where they are welding so electricity will not ground through the bearings but they should know that.

View attachment 226972View attachment 226973

You're sure bandit will repair a disk?

I may be taking back all the good things I've said about these chippers over the years. Always some bull#### with this business..

I have not checked but I don't think there is any way a disc style chipper could avoid this wear. It is not a huge deal at all just normal wear. $1500 to repair yours as they quoted???? Attention all dics chipper owners, please send me your disc's to be repaired!!!!!!!

More chipper stuff

You might be able to find a machinist in your area that can perform the task a lot cheaper. The tough part will be balancing the disc. You might want to see if Bandit will send you specs on the disc so the machinist doesn't over build the area. We used to have a machine shop in the Atlanta area who had a balancing machine and they have since gone out of business. You might be able to find a comparable company in your area. I would use the search words machinist and steel fabricator and see what is available. If they don't do it they might be able to recommend you to someone.

I have not checked but I don't think there is any way a disc style chipper could avoid this wear. It is not a huge deal at all just normal wear. $1500 to repair yours as they quoted???? Attention all dics chipper owners, please send me your disc's to be repaired!!!!!!!

LOL! Shouldn't you be on that #### as we speak?? I wanna see the pics!!

Damn good thread man! :cheers:

LOL! Shouldn't you be on that #### as we speak?? I wanna see the pics!!

Damn good thread man! :cheers:

Will get to it next week. My brother-in-law just brought over their field cultivator that they want to sell. I have to use my plasma cutter to cut off the liquid fertilizer tank mount to put on their new one. So will hit that in the morning and then bid a tree at a guys house I work with at the factory. Sucks I can only work till about 1pm everyday, work starts at 3:30pm. How long before I get enough business to make it on my own???? I will post the pics when complete. Good luck with yours!

Great thread Swyman! I guess I was confused when I said adhesion and meant wearability. After changing knives on my 200xp today I do see similar wear, but not as bad as yours. I have a few great welders here but no one to balance the wheel when done. I can weld very well but I am not sure I am up to this challenge.

As far as disconnecting the battery, best advice yet, as my tach was cooked when some bozo did a few welds on my machine. $500 for a new tach. For now I am the auto-feed. :laugh:

About all this balancing, I know it is important but it was balanced when built. As long as I grind all material back flat to it's original shape, it should be very close. I also noticed that one of my wheel lock brackets (piece of square tube welded on backside of wheel) is missing. That sure would seem to throw of off balance but machine runs smooth. I am going to replace that to. Never noticed because I have always just put a piece of round stock through the wheel.when changing knives.

I suppose you are right to some extent. I would just hate to spend the time and or money to fix a problem and find out one pocket was welded denser than the others and the wheel jumps ship, or you bearings eat it in two hours. That being said, what will it be maybe a few ounces?

Eq- I am ready yesterday. i think it is a LOR? I'll look tom. Pm me if you like.

I suppose you are right to some extent. I would just hate to spend the time and or money to fix a problem and find out one pocket was welded denser than the others and the wheel jumps ship, or you bearings eat it in two hours. That being said, what will it be maybe a few ounces?

Eq- I am ready yesterday. i think it is a LOR? I'll look tom. Pm me if you like.

That is a hell of a piece of rotating mass for sure.

Got it done today, attachments not working for some reason. Going to daughters ball game will try again later. Turned out great!

Latest posts

Back