More small saws decision points..(Boonville data)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
SO still having a tough time with the small saw selection. The "on the paper" look of the Echo cs-400 is very good. Now the price points on eBay are around $225...very attractive.

So I went to Boonville looking for the final answer.

Stihl? Saw one dealers booth and the guy wasn't all that informative, did better just reading the online specs....off to Husqvarna.

VERY well done booth! Absolutely threw a wrench into my pre-decided decision......AND I was able to test run a few models to further muddle up my pre-conception....

Didn't even see an echo display.

Dolmar had a booth. They seemed to focus on their medium-larger saws and made a bad impression on the small saw's. The one we ran had a totally messed up chain. Was a pig. The "on the paper specs" looked good and it was a nice looking unit..but sounded like it was running off tune and the chain threw dust. Too bad. And when one of the other show attendee's looking at those saws, question the chain and saw tune..it was just put back on the ground...and I watched. That saw wasn't touched and yet another couple of folks took a look and last I saw, while walking away; it still wasn't dealt with. On the positive side, the mid sized Dolmars looked pretty good. Just looked like the tech guy wasn't interested in their new small saw product line and was a whole lot more interest in his "modded" saw..not something that the typical customer was going to buy at the typical dealer. What is the point to the actually customer of comparing a "modded saw" on one set of logs to a production saw on another? Especially when the Husky booth across the way has it right with a pile of production saws..all looking "right". The good news for Dolmar was that the sales guy was very informative and seemed to know his territoy and his product line...nice person. BECAUSE of him I will take a look at a local dealer and give that little Dolmar a chance BEFORE I move off to the other brands. The definition of a good sales guy..needs a sales orientation for the techy.

Problem is when you go over to the Husky booth they ALL looked good.

SO we ran a 445, 346XP and 338. The little top handle was...a pruning saw. Not enough for what I was looking for.

The 346XP just rips..great performance at that show. Very impressive.
SO was the 445! I was suprised to say the least..so Its now on the short list. I wanted to try a 353 because on paper it also looks like it should be on that list.

Since I wasn't able to test an Echo...maybe they along with the Stihl and need to drop off my list for the main saw for my bride.

That 445 "consumer saw" we tested was much better than I expected.

SO IF I can be a little patient and NOT buy a Husqvarna 445 and After finding a little Dolmar to test...and I will and the outside chance it doesn't perform..my bet is it will show better prepped right. I just wish The test saw was better prepped.

Is it worth holding out for a 353?
Is the 346XP worth the extra weight and bucks?

Or should I just get the 445 and end this thing.

Last edited:
I have a Dolmar, Sthil and Huskie's.
The local Sthil dealer is a nice guy and he knows a lot about maintaining his saws, but lacks a lot when it comes to other knowledge. Like what bars certain saws will run. Didn't even know if he could get a modded muffer and thought I was crazy for asking.
He also thought I was crazy when I ordered a 36" bar for my 066. "why would you need anything that big" was his view.

The 2 Husky dealers I know are great, one even sells Dolmars. They both understand my need for more power and bigger bars. The both even modified saws there.

My problem with the Dolmar is I think they bend the truth a little about the weight. I think my 7900 is suppose to be 13 pounds, but weights in at 23.5 with 28'" bar. I have a 10 bar and chain? It's a great saw and the weight is well balanced. It's a fun saw to run. I know it's bigger than what you want.
I don't know what Dolmar you want, but I would run it and not look at it on paper. Like I mention I think Dolmar bend the truth on their saw weights a little. If you got one I don't think you would regret it. Still a great saw.

My Stihl is a great too, but doesn't seem to be able to run with my 395xp. But the Sthil does have a 36" bar compared to the 28 on the 395xp plus the Husky's built. So not much of a comparison. I know. Work on it seems more expensive and the local dealer isn't a knowledge as the Husky dealers.

I looked at Echo's, but the local dealer wasn't knowledge at all. I just had to walk out. Other than that I couldn't tell you much about the Echo.

All that being said. I would get the Husky that I could get the best deal on. I have 4 Huskies and every one has been a good saw. Of course the Sthil and Dolmar are good too, so the choice would be tough.

SO still having a tough time with the small saw selection. The "on the paper" look of the Echo cs-400 is very good. Now the price points on eBay are around $225...very attractive.

So I went to Boonville looking for the final answer.

Stihl? Saw one dealers booth and the guy wasn't all that informative, did better just reading the online specs....off to Husqvarna.

VERY well done booth! Absolutely threw a wrench into my pre-decided decision......AND I was able to test run a few models to further muddle up my pre-conception....

Didn't even see an echo display.

Dolmar had a booth. They seemed to focus on their medium-larger saws and made a bad impression on the small saw's. The one we ran had a totally messed up chain. Was a pig. The "on the paper specs" looked good and it was a nice looking unit..but sounded like it was running off tune and the chain threw dust. Too bad. And when one of the other show attendee's looking at those saws, question the chain and saw tune..it was just put back on the ground...and I watched. That saw wasn't touched and yet another couple of folks took a look and last I saw, while walking away; it still wasn't dealt with. On the positive side, the mid sized Dolmars looked pretty good. Just looked like the tech guy wasn't interested in their new small saw product line and was a whole lot more interest in his "modded" saw..not something that the typical customer was going to buy at the typical dealer. What is the point to the actually customer of comparing a "modded saw" on one set of logs to a production saw on another? Especially when the Husky booth across the way has it right with a pile of production saws..all looking "right". The good news for Dolmar was that the sales guy was very informative and seemed to know his territoy and his product line...nice person. BECAUSE of him I will take a look at a local dealer and give that little Dolmar a chance BEFORE I move off to the other brands. The definition of a good sales guy..needs a sales orientation for the techy.

Problem is when you go over to the Husky booth they ALL looked good.

SO we ran a 445, 346XP and 338. The little top handle was...a pruning saw. Not enough for what I was looking for.

The 346XP just rips..great performance at that show. Very impressive.
SO was the 445! I was suprised to say the least..so Its now on the short list. I wanted to try a 353 because on paper it also looks like it should be on that list.

Since I wasn't able to test an Echo...maybe they along with the Stihl and need to drop off my list for the main saw for my bride.

That 445 "consumer saw" we tested was much better than I expected.

SO IF I can be a little patient and NOT buy a Husqvarna 445 and After finding a little Dolmar to test...and I will and the outside chance it doesn't perform..my bet is it will show better prepped right. I just wish The test saw was better prepped.

Is it worth holding out for a 353?
Is the 346XP worth the extra weight and bucks?

Or should I just get the 445 and end this thing.

The NE346xp sure is worth it - and there aren't much of a weight difference!

It will probably benefit a lot from a 20-series Oregon LP or Stihl RSC chain, compared to the staock set-up, while the 445 will not.

The only smaller Dolmar worth looking at is the 5100S.

Last edited:
Haven't tried the 346XP NE yet so I can't comment.

Two additional saws that are worthy of consideration;
Pro saw, Dolmar 5100 It is built as a professional level piece of equipment. They cut great, I find them a tad bulky but that wouldn't stop me from buying one. Pricing around here is $375 to $400.

Semi-Pro, Husky 350 / Jonsered 2150. There are still a bunch of these available. Husky changed the 350 to the 450 this year. I've always felt the the 350 was one of those Husky saws you never hear much about but when you do, it's always complimentary. Kind of a dark horse in their line up.These saws usually can be found in the $300-$325 range.

FWIW there's nothing wrong with the 353. It's just in no man's land between the 350 and 346XP. It does have some pro features such as the magnesium bottom but it's not as fast as the 5100 that's only a few $ more.

Well good luck and enjoy your search.
Take Care

Pro saw, Dolmar 5100 It is built as a professional level piece of equipment. They cut great, I find them a tad bulky but that wouldn't stop me from buying one. Pricing around here is $375 to $400.

Semi-Pro, Husky 350 / Jonsered 2150. There are still a bunch of these available. Husky changed the 350 to the 450 this year. I've always felt the the 350 was one of those Husky saws you never hear much about but when you do, it's always complimentary. Kind of a dark horse in their line up.These saws usually can be found in the $300-$325 range.

FWIW there's nothing wrong with the 353. It's just in no man's land between the 350 and 346XP. It does have some pro features such as the magnesium bottom but it's not as fast as the 5100 that's only a few $ more.

Take Care

I tend to agree on the 353, mine see nil to no use after the 5100S and NE346xp arrived - but it still is a good saw. The engine is the only difference between the current 353 ad the NE346xp.

Personally, I like the NE346xp better than the 5100S, as it handles better.

If your set on the $225 range, the Echo will do you just fine. While the 5100, 346, and 353 are "more" saws, the cost about $200 more. Options are, of course, a slightly used 5100/346/353 if you are willing to wait for one to show up. Check with AS sponsors who carry the lines we're talking about. Might find one :clap: :chainsaw: .

The new DOLMAR small saws (PS-350 & 420) were not at the show.

If the price point is around $200, seems like that leaves you with Echo and Dolmar 401 unless you want to buy used. It sounds like you want something more powerful than a Dolmar 341, or Stihl MS-170 or 180.
I think somebody's still selling Makita 401s on ebay if you can't find a Dolmar.

Take Care

Thanks for the insight & comparison data. I'm, leaning towards the Husky 350/353/450 class saw....but will wait until our local guy can show us a Dolmar. I've always rooted for the underdog.

Our local TSC store has 450's in stock in the $350 range.

My friend is trying to get me to concider his clean older Stihl 028 for $150 bucks....but when it come to my bride, I will only buy new.

Back