Morristown 2010

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Morristown, NY Woodsmen's Competition 2010

Saturday July 3rd at the Morristown Fireman's Field day. Registration opens at 10am, racing starts at Noon. Competition is open to the public, sign up when you get here. There will be Cash payouts, $50 for first, $30 for second, $20 for third in each event. Events are...

0-60 cc work saws,0-100cc work saws,Axe Throw, Underhand Chop, Open Hotsaw

Work saws rules are: no two piece heads, no tuned pipes, gas only, must have working choke with an air filter, and stock flywheel. Work saws will be live start (saw idling on the ground, hands on the block). Work saws will make three cuts in down-up-down sequence.

Open Hotsaw is sigle cylinder, pull start. Racing will be dead start, three cuts.

Address to the Fire Station is 6 Morris St. , Morristown NY, 13664 for those using GPS or Mapquest.

Anyone planning on competing please send me a PM, so we can have a rough head count.

Last edited:
Trout I'll be there, hopefully be competing in all the events. You guys decided to drop the 5 cube class?

Yes, we left out the 5 cube. The Fire Dept raised up some sponsor money for each class this year, and covered the big stuff first. We could still do it if there was some interest, maybe everyone pay a small entry fee and winner take all? We also talked about doing 2 man cross-cut, provided saw. I have a M-Tooth saw here I'd be willing to provide.

Looks like I'll have all the classes covered.
Now I just gotta sharpen my axes, and um practice so i don't cut my feet off.
Running a 254xp, 064, in the work saw classes and the 3120 in the opn hotsaw class. Andy and Chris are both at weddings that day so I might make the money in a class or two.

0-60cc class, that"s like 3.7 cube class.
Why not just make it 65cc's, 4 cube? Your leaving out the 361"s and the 262.
Your race, your rules.

Jack just bring your 346Xp and have fun. We both know your 365 is a contender in the 5 cube class.

Last edited:
The wood will be 8x8 Pine. We ordered it a couple weeks ago. We can do about anything for classes. The Sponsored events are 60cc work saw, 100cc work saw, axe throw, chop, and hotsaw. Anything extra we add we can just put the entry fees in a hat and winner take all. 50cc? 70cc? Stock appearing? If you guys have suggestions let's hear'em.

Last edited:
We're doing cross-cut, bow saw, and 5 cube as unsponsored classes. Resistration fees will be paid back as prize money, so the number of competitors will determine payout in these classes.

Here's the rules sheet that wil be passed out when you register.....

Morristown Fire Dept
Woodsmens Competition

Event #1- 0-60cc Stock Saw. Competitors use their own chainsaw. No tuned pipes, no two piece heads, must have working choke and air filter, unaltered flywheel. Gas only. This is a live start, the saw is idling on the ground, competitors hands on the block. The competitor must have all eight fingers across the centerline of the block at the go signal. They will make 3 cuts in a down-up-down sequence.

Event #2- Axe Throw – Competitors will be scored on three throws. The first throw may be used as a practice throw, or may be kept for scoring. If the Competitor keeps the first throw the following 2 throws will count for score. If the competitor uses a practice throw the following three throws will count for score.

Event #3 - Two man Cross-Cut. Competitors will make 2 cuts with a provided saw.

Event #4- 0-100cc Stock Saw. Competitors use their own chainsaw. No tuned pipes, no two piece heads, must have working choke and air filter, unaltered flywheel. Gas only. This is a live start, the saw is idling on the ground, competitors hands on the block. The competitor must have all eight fingers across the centerline of the block at the go signal. They will make 3 cuts in a down-up-down sequence.

Event # 5- Underhand Chop. Time starts when the axe hits the block and ends when the block is severed.

Event #6 Bow Saw- Competitors will use a provided Bow Saw to make 1 cut.

Event #7– 5 Cube Stock Appearing- Must be a serial numbered production chainsaw less than 82cc. No Tuned pipes. Stock covers must be in place. Same rules as open hotsaw.

Event #8- Open Hotsaw. There will be a 1 minute warm up. This is a dead start. Saw not running, competitors hands on the block. The competitor must have all eight fingers across the centerline of the block at the go signal. They will make 3 cuts in a down-up-down sequence.

I'm game for em all...

Me too, I need to cob together a underhand chop stand, I think I might do what Tim Keech did and just have some plywood, 2x4 and some spikes to hold it together. Ordering my chain mail tomorrow, hopefully I beat my 206 second chop from Lisbon.

Me too, I need to cob together a underhand chop stand, I think I might do what Tim Keech did and just have some plywood, 2x4 and some spikes to hold it together. Ordering my chain mail tomorrow, hopefully I beat my 206 second chop from Lisbon.

I'm sure we can find you a metal stand to use up here if you need one. I have two, Justin has one, I think has Dean has one now. No sweat. Here's a training video that helped me a lot, lots of good info.......

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/timbersports/news/story?page=t-series_events_under

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back