Most comfortable climbing saddle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swore that I would never buy a padded saddle, but I spent A LOT of time in the saddle last summer. I found a used Billy Cook roping saddle in a pawn shop.......Oh wait you said climbing saddle? I ride a Buckingham Glide Lite. Im actually looking for something with a little more padding in that saddle to. I may try the Onyx. I still have my old New Tribe ultra light but I gotta have a bridge. This gettin old stuff sucks.get-attachment (29).jpg

I'm going to have to check into some of the saddles mentioned in this thread. I've been thinking about this for a few days. I've climbed with a fairly old school Buckingham high-back saddle for my entire climbing career (23+ yrs). I don't mean the same style of saddle. I mean the exact same saddle. The saddle I used today is the one I learned with way back then. I'm 6 ft and about 160 lbs. It used to bruise my hips and legs back when I was learning but you just get used to it. It's like a well-worn pair of gym shoes for me but it's also heavy and I wonder what some new technology would feel like. It would be a huge thing for me to switch saddles. I couldn't even estimate how many hours I've spent in my saddle. I would want a saddle with no leg or shoulder straps and the D rings basically in the same place. Just the fastened waist belt and the butt strap is fine with me. So more or less what I have but lighter.

The srt sequoia is more comfortable than the ddrt version, more padding

The srt sequoia is more comfortable than the ddrt version, more padding

I actually just started a thread about the 2 Sequoias. treesmith, may i ask is i was to buy the SRT version it is fine to use starting off DdRT also? My plan is DdRT but eventually would like to try different setups then SRT to see what i prefer, but is it a choice of one or the other between DdRT and SRT?

I actually just started a thread about the 2 Sequoias. treesmith, may i ask is i was to buy the SRT version it is fine to use starting off DdRT also? My plan is DdRT but eventually would like to try different setups then SRT to see what i prefer, but is it a choice of one or the other between DdRT and SRT?

The differences on mine were ddrt sequoia had a locking belt clip on the front belt whereas the srt had a pull tight belt with no clip but with a biner attachment on the front and back for shoulder strap/srt attatchment, the ddrt harness has just the rope bridge and side Ds. Used the srt version mostly on ddrt, the exception being srt access on tall stuff and then switching to ddrt for working the tree, it worked perfectly ddrt

I will add though that I sold my sequoia to a workmate and bought a treemotion, it suits me better, more secure and customisable with better positioning of tool loops exactly where you want them.

Nothing wrong with a sequoia but treemotion is my preference

I was gonna go with TreeMotion but the 1 size option fits up to 38" waist, which i am and fluctuate between that and 40" during downtime. So if i purchased that, i would believe i'd be screwed in the winter if i had to fit over a couple layers of clothing... Leaves me thinkin of the MCRS which i really like.., Tree Austria 3.2, the Sequoia's and a couple others... Just wish TreeMotion made a larger model...

I appreciate your info! ~Moose

I would suggest buying a saddle that has lower d's. I climbed on the stock Cougar for a while, which is like sitting in a recliner, but like most saddles the waist d's were rib/hip burners. After modifying it with the liger set up, hanging off the lanyard is just as comfortable as the climbing line. Took me about an hour to take the saddle apart, put the rigging plates on, and get it back together. The plates are only $15 a piece on amazon.

Im as new as it gets but I was fortunate enough to have a local store carry several different brands and models. I tried a few basic ones then a couple Buckinghams then a Petzl Sequoia SRT. The Buckinghams were very heavy but had nice features, I decided on the Sequoia SRT, it was very light and comfortable on me, the only thing Im going to do is add a DMM ring to the bridge. Like I said, Im as new as can be but Ive had this on a few times now making some adjustments and it's as comfortable and light as my Gorilla hunting harness. If your looking at the Sequoia, I got mine from Cutters Choice...they have 7 left at under 300 bucks! BTW Im 5'11" 200lbs, average build.

I would suggest buying a saddle that has lower d's. I climbed on the stock Cougar for a while, which is like sitting in a recliner, but like most saddles the waist d's were rib/hip burners. After modifying it with the liger set up, hanging off the lanyard is just as comfortable as the climbing line. Took me about an hour to take the saddle apart, put the rigging plates on, and get it back together. The plates are only $15 a piece on amazon.
Treemotion has two sets of D's, one set on hips and another lower down

new tribe pro gear 2 cost effective comfortable and light. my weaver sits in my bag as back up, and that may get replaced with my progear 2 if i get a matt cornell rope saddle.

Im VERY interested in getting the MCRS! It was my first option and now that it offers the suspenders (doubt id use them but great to have for just 35$ extra) im really leaning towards it. The only problem i see with the Cornell is how long will the rebuild kits be around?... Im wondering if i do puchase the MCRS, should i go ahead and buy a rebuild kit along with it just to be sure... Im am very new to climbing so i intend on ALOT of recreational climbing before i ever leave the ground with a saw. Ive acquired everything else and a bunch of different systems and plan to buy even more besides a saddle. I find myself buying the best i can when i can afford it, and when i cant, i save till i can. Looove the idea of the MCRS tho!

I've used my climbers petzl aveo? It's very comfortable but I have to sinch the waist all the way and I don't like that. I'm looking at the new tribe onyx because it goes a few inches smaller, I like to have wiggle room. I'm in the same boat as you husqy, my shop will buy me gear once I get better but he buys basic buckingham saddles. I think I'll buy my own, conquer the big cottonwood by my drive quite a few times, then introduce the saw. Maybe he'll even reimburse me the difference on saddles?

Back