Most Comparable Oil to Mobil 1 2T. What have you Swapped to?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan454

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Bought a 5105 recently and am almost out of out most dolmar oil. and wanted to get something real good but since they dont make the 2t any more. ive heard very good things about it but its not avail. what have you guys that used 2t swapped to?

Stihl Ultra is the easiest for me to get, But I'll buy any brand if the quality is good.

Yep,,,, Ultra is very good,,, also there is Klotz RD 50 Super Techni-Plate mixes well with ethanol laced gasoline and stays mixed,,,,

some swear by amsoil,,,

JMHO,,, Really any good synthetic is the way to go

Last edited:
When they stopped selling the Mobile 1 2T in the petrol stations here in Oz about 25 years ago (a quarter of a century?), I went over to the Shell synthetic 2T.

As I recall, the Shell 2T didn't burn as clean in my enduro bike, but it had a thicker viscosity.

I choose the Shell as it was a readily available synthetic oil that I could pick up in any petrol station. It was made for racing two-strokes and for street bikes, in other words it has plenty of detergents in it.

It burns clean in the chainsaw, is made by a major oil company (with their larger testing facilities and ability to purchase in bulk) and is less expensive than most other synthetic oils.

M1 Racing 2T is available here ;)
When I go to the nearest large town 100km away it's sitting on the the shelf in one of the bike shops and at the Mobil distributor....... :D

As RR2 said, any decent syn two stroke is good so whatever is easiest to get locally.
The 'local' saw shops only stock mineral saw oil from the saw brands, I'm pretty sure Ultra isn't even imported here.

Some in use are an irritant too, Castrol Power 1 Racing TTS gives me a head ache and burning eyes in use, it really does irritate me but is a good oil.
I grab Motul 8002T from the Husky/SHinny/Toro/Honda dealer, no fumes and smells like bananas straight out of the bottle :D

Good brands like Silkolene, Elf, Mobil One Racing 2T, etc are
100km away.

Last edited:
heard of some people using Royal Purple 2-Cycle TCW III. has anyone else heard this?

Yes it is a good Synthetic but I woud be leary of the TCW III,,,

They make one for 2 Stoke aircooled dirt bike motors,,, that would be my choice for a saw...

I stand corrected, it looks like it is all TCW III now??? their website says it works in Chainsaws???

http://italianmotorsusa.com/products/shell-advance-racing-m-2t-oil

Heres some for ya,,, only 23 bucks for a quart!!!!!

Last edited:
Saws have been on a steady diet of 114 Sunoco, and Klotz Super Techni-Plate.

Works fer me, and the exhaust smell is,,,,,,,,,,,,,distinctive.

Oil is oil,,,,, Right?

Oil is oil,,,,, Right?

LOLOL!!! Yeah!!! I understand the Smell,,, Boy thats got to be expensive @ what around 9.00+ a gallon ehhh?

Last edited:

Oil is oil,,,,, Right?

Do you use the 114 octane for the no ethanol in the gas or for the higher octane? If you don't have a high compression engine your just wasting your money. But if your using it for the ethanol free gas then I can understand.

And no... Oil is not oil... Some are better than others and some type's are better for different applications.

Stay away from TCW oil as it is made for outboard water cooled engines. Water cooled oil is designed to combust at lower temperatures and will break down in an air cooled chainsaw cylinder when the engine gets hot.

Any of the air cooled synthetic two stroke oils available at your local dealer will be fine. Stihl, Echo, Husky, Dolmar etc., are all good. If you burn alot of mixed gas the 5 gallon container from Baileys is the way to go.

Do you use the 114 octane for the no ethanol in the gas or for the higher octane? If you don't have a high compression engine your just wasting your money. But if your using it for the ethanol free gas then I can understand.

And no... Oil is not oil... Some are better than others and some type's are better for different applications.

I mis-spoke, the Sunoco is 110 octane, the 114 is the Unical I used to get.

And yes, my wife tells me all the time I waste money on me saws.

But I just love the smell of bean oil and some good old racing gas, and the cost is a lot less than those little quart cans.

The O.P. asked what we are using since the 2T is no longer available, fer me it's Klotz, a cheaper and easily available alternative is Yamalube 2R. at 7 bucks a quart.

Used the 2R when I ran out of 2T, but like the Klotz fer the smell, brings back some fond memories.

If you saw my old six cubers lugging away in long rips when milling , you may agree the high octane can't hurt (aint melted one down yet)

Latest posts

Back