Most Dangerous Tool........Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most dangerous.........we've had crane accidents in the machine shop. But the machine you really stay on your toes is the 12' vertical.

Tie down 2,6, or 8 ton chunk of metal then spin it and bring a cutting tool in and take off may be 3/4" or more at a time.
You are at the rail watching and if the part comes off.........
It's gonna be at you or away.....no time to duck.

Surprised no one has agreed with farming, they generally always try to repair their own stuff, and that contributes greatly to the accidents, it is not just from using the stuff. Lots of dangerous stuff on the farm, mechanical & animal, you always have to be alert.
wothin a month here 2 years ago, a farmer and his son were killed at the same time working on their haybaler, and another guy was more or less cut in half by a split rim while fixing a tire. Yes farming can be extremely dangerous.

It actually would not be that hard to guard the 'Widow Maker' splitters in Weimedog's post above:

- a shield that separates the worker from falling into the wedge, except at the 'point of operation'; and

- a sliding feed table to keep the worker's hands away from the moving wedge.

But the guys in those videos probably would not use those guards. That's part of the 'attitude' part of safety: when guys state that farming, or logging, or commercial fishing are dangerous occupations, but ignore options to make things safer.

Takes a lot to get guys to wear safety glasses or fall protection in construction. Easier on larger jobs, with supervision. Harder on smaller jobs, where guys want to be independent.

Philbert

imrs.php

If a vehicle could be thought of as a tool, that would be it.

The most dangerous thing a person can do on a daily basis, is to get into a car and drive. The vast majority of people don't realize that or respect that fact, and they don't end up becoming aware of it until it's too late.

The trainer at the FISTA courses I took recently put it eloquently, I thought: "A Chainsaw is one of the most dangerous items you can purchase without a license of any kind."

But whenever I repeat that to anyone they just want to nit-pick that sentence to death with obscure counter-examples or fine details etc. and I am not interested in that.

I will say it always amazes me how many people have operated a chainsaw without ever knowing what chaps are, and how many retail establishments sell saws but never have any chaps for sale.

Fact is that an occupation that involves running a chainsaw for a living ie; arborist/logger, statistically, is in fact the most dangerous occupation out there. Learned that at a safety seminar from a well respected individual in the arborist world who also works for OSHA.
Crab fishing is #2

i think saw companies should offer a discount or offer chaps with the purchase of a new saw i bought chaps recently they are a little hot to wear but hopefully if needed they will save from hurting me

Back