Most difficult time of the year: Firewood drying season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson_tree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My wood is all cut, split, and stacked. Now comes the hardest part. Drying it. My favorite technique is to think about my woodpile for a few days, and then I go pick up a few pieces of wood. I hold them for a while, look at the checking, and then put them back on the pile. Firewood loves to be picked up and carried around, so I figure if I make them happy then they will dry faster. Any one else have techniques to share?

I find that a cold beer in one hand while checking the stacks really helps. The wood doesn't dry faster, but somehow, it's still better that way.

Cut this year's wood LAST YEAR.

Or the year before last. ;o)

I'm not kinky about firewood. I won't touch it again until it either goes from outdoor storage into the woodshed
or from the woodshed into the house.

Shake the stacks a little... Gotta give that stuff some exercise... It also likes you to squish bugs on it and use it for holding yer chainsaw... Helps it to feel useful... A happy wood pile is a productive wood pile...
:big_smile:

234451d1334866588-0505beaver-jpeg

Last edited:
I use mine to help keep the dogs cool in the summer time. My stacks provide shade after about 3 pm for the dogs to lay in and enjoy the south wind.

It is also stacked high enough to give me a privacy fence around the portion of my yard visible from the road. I try to go out and look at it and occasionally give it a little pat with my hand to show my appreciation.

First, c/s/s for as far ahead as possible- right now, good for about 5 yrs here. Cover it on top (not sides) to avoid trickle-down. Wood does get better with age.

From the stacks, it goes to a bandsaw to be cut down from 16" to 8" then immediately to small roofed enclosures that hold about a cord total.

Once the stove is hooked up and running, 8-inchers come in by the barrow-load to be stacked in "holders" alongside the stove. Typically it'll go from 10% MC down to low single digits there. Final drying in the firebox.

Note: lumber mills know that air-drying of oak takes twice as long as for other hardwoods. If you're processing oak for this winter, you're wasting lots of heat. Process oak now for winter 2013/2014.

And here I've thought all these years you were supposed to give each piece a quarter turn everyday not unlike vintage wines.

Thanks guys! Now I'm finding myself with a whole lotta free time and stuff….:D

And here I've thought all these years you were supposed to give each piece a quarter turn everyday not unlike vintage wines.

Thanks guys! Now I'm finding myself with a whole lotta free time and stuff….:D

Have some rep...:msp_sneaky:

Hydrocarbons and lipids… lots of hydrocarbons and lipids make it burn real good.

Changing oil in the truck?… Walk over and pour the used stuff along the top of the stack.
Bad gas in the garden tiller this spring?… Yep, dispose of it in the same manner.
Time to change the oil in the deep fat fryer?… Ya’ bet’cha.
Gonna’ empty the tiki lamps and put ‘em away for the season?… Oh yeah.
Solvent in the parts washer getting a bit rancid?... Well, you know where it goes.
Rebuilding that carb?... Set that thing on the wood pile before ya’ spray it down with cleaner.
Bacon grease?… Sure does smell good when it burns.
Ever clean paint brushes in thinner or turpentine?... Go ahead, add a bit-o-color to the stack.
Swappin’ hydraulic fluid in the splitter?... Now you’re thinkin’.
Ya’ do know oil filters should be completely drained before tossing, right?... There ya’ go.

Shake the stacks a little... Gotta give that stuff some exercise... It also likes you to squish bugs on it and use it for holding yer chainsaw... Helps it to feel useful... A happy wood pile is a productive wood pile...
:big_smile:

234451d1334866588-0505beaver-jpeg

If your woodpile bugs are that big you shouldn't have a thievery problem.

Harry K

That's verging on heresy!

Harry K

That probably IS heresy. I figure I handle that wood enough, from the time the saw hits the tree
until I empty the ash barrel. If I spent all my spare time fondling my firewood, I wouldn't have
any time left to come on here and act stupid. :dizzy:

Cut Wood in January...

... I seldom do this, but it worked in 2012. Just about all 22 truckloads of wood rounds that I cut and brought in this past January are almost dry as a bone when I splt them now. A few of my firewood logs split from huge rounds need some more drying but most do not.

This was a really amazing year for drying firewood--I wish it had not ruined crops. My firewood will be great, but food prices are going to go up significantly. :msp_sad:

I like to have a few camp fires and drinks near the stacks. Helps teach them what there supposed to do, what fun it is. Best way to season is to not need them, they will be ready in no time.

beer, bourbon,or other oral lubrication of choice is a must...sit and stare=dry stacks. Ignoring anyone questioning your sanity is also a good idea.

Latest posts

Back