Totes and drying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’m thinking of using totes instead of stacking. Now I found I can get about a 1/5 of a cord if you toss it in and a 1/4 cord if you stack it. Now my tractor won’t pick it up if I stack it but it will if I toss it in. It’s not happy about it but it does it.

Now I’m thinking the wood would season fine tossed in but what are your guys thoughts?

Are the hydraulics too weak, or the rear too light?
What kind of tractor! Pics of your "tote" would be helpful.

Toss 'em in. They'll dry fine, especially if you put a good cover on the top of the tote. A sheet of plywood works great, and you can stack those totes a whole lot higher than you can stack firewood.

Usually. :rolleyes:

I measured 1/3 of a cord of space in a 275 gallon tote. Actually a little more but the corners are curved. When I use a tote to transfer wood that was stacked, it's about 1/3 of a cord- a stack that's 1 1/3 cord takes four totes (wood stacked in the tote).

One problem with just tossing the splits in is that they are more likely to fall out through the holes in the cage or through the door if you cut one, than when they're stacked.

You don't say what kind of tractor and forks. If they are the kind of forks that attach to the bucket, you'll be able lift significantly more with a pallet fork attachment that replaces the bucket.

Toss 'em in. They'll dry fine, especially if you put a good cover on the top of the tote. A sheet of plywood works great, and you can stack those totes a whole lot higher than you can stack firewood.

Usually.

Usually. :rolleyes:
Not enough lifting power.

Attachments

• 5C65092D-E4EB-477E-AF18-DC1AFCF92E3E.jpeg
    5C65092D-E4EB-477E-AF18-DC1AFCF92E3E.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 2
I measured 1/3 of a cord of space in a 275 gallon tote. Actually a little more but the corners are curved. When I use a tote to transfer wood that was stacked, it's about 1/3 of a cord- a stack that's 1 1/3 cord takes four totes (wood stacked in the tote).

One problem with just tossing the splits in is that they are more likely to fall out through the holes in the cage or through the door if you cut one, than when they're stacked.

You don't say what kind of tractor and forks. If they are the kind of forks that attach to the bucket, you'll be able lift significantly more with a pallet fork attachment that replaces the bucket.
Massey Ferguson 1725mb with real pallet forks no clamp on crap. I wanted the backhoe so I had to stay with the smaller tractor price wise. The next size up tractors backhoes are big dollars.

That's a small tractor, just like my little BX. I don't think you'll ever get yours to lift even that smaller 275 gallon tote to full height if the wood is stacked. I just bought 30 330 gallon totes, and I believe they weigh about 1,800lbs. when full of green oak when stacked nicely.

But yes, your wood should still dry no problem. It may even dry more quickly tossed in vs. being stacked. More air gaps in for the wind to breeze through.

That's a small tractor, just like my little BX. I don't think you'll ever get yours to lift even that smaller 275 gallon tote to full height if the wood is stacked. I just bought 30 330 gallon totes, and I believe they weigh about 1,800lbs. when full of green oak when stacked nicely.

But yes, your wood should still dry no problem. It may even dry more quickly tossed in vs. being stacked. More air gaps in for the wind to breeze through.

Oh there’s no way it’ll lift it if their stacked in a 275. I’m ok tossing it in. It works as long as it will season because I’m sick of stacking wood anyway. I toss it in right off the splitter and tractor it to where it’s gonna season then it stays there till I bring it in the house. The only way I could make this better would be if I could fit a tote through my cellar door. A guy can dream can’t he?

So I tried to stack them just to see if I could…… and here’s a big ass rock for good measure.

Attachments

• EA684FF9-DF98-4315-886D-8CA80FB969B3.jpeg
    EA684FF9-DF98-4315-886D-8CA80FB969B3.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 18CA5B93-D4A3-499E-AFB7-56C06B019505.jpeg
    18CA5B93-D4A3-499E-AFB7-56C06B019505.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 3F3639DA-7041-4E7C-A31E-1C98AAFAAE17.jpeg
    3F3639DA-7041-4E7C-A31E-1C98AAFAAE17.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
  • C3E6E37E-190E-4C0A-A203-1C4B1F7D0B1E.jpeg
    C3E6E37E-190E-4C0A-A203-1C4B1F7D0B1E.jpeg