Mountain Mahogany?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turn_n_burn

Cord Hoarder
Reaction score
Read a post while lurking here a while back, and decided it was time to sign up. I'm in SW Idaho, and we have some good Mountain Mahogany country in the Owyhee mountains about an hour from me. I read a thread posted almost a year ago from user Idahonative, and he talked about burning some in his Blaze King, and got a 40+ hour run out of it. I have tried getting info from the Idaho BLM about permits and cutting rules (also wanted to get some Western Juniper whilst in the area),but haven't gotten a response to any emails, and my questions on the phone get routed to a voicemail box. How does one go about obtaining some information on this? I really don't want to drive all the way to Marsing just to ask a question in person. I know the stuff is tiny and would take all day to fill my pickup, and that's OK by me. Idahonative (or anybody else in the loop), if you are still around, how in the world does one legally obtain this stuff? I would love to use it to make a new stock and forend for my Remington 870 too.

My honest opinion, goto the forest circus office and find out what ranger district the wood is in. Get a firewood map for that area and see if the wood is in an area that's open for cutting. If so just buy the permit and have at it. That's kind of what I do, I cut in Fairfield, scum valley, and the jarbidge areas. I cut pine and fir, but if there's some cool looking dead wood I grab it. The permit doesn't state what you have to cut, (although it does say no cutting certain pines)

Scum valley and the forest circus! I Love it! That's a good one. I know to stay away from whitebark pine, but I can't find any protected status on mahogany. I'll take that advice to heart. Thanks man!

Read a post while lurking here a while back, and decided it was time to sign up. I'm in SW Idaho, and we have some good Mountain Mahogany country in the Owyhee mountains about an hour from me. I read a thread posted almost a year ago from user Idahonative, and he talked about burning some in his Blaze King, and got a 40+ hour run out of it. I have tried getting info from the Idaho BLM about permits and cutting rules (also wanted to get some Western Juniper whilst in the area),but haven't gotten a response to any emails, and my questions on the phone get routed to a voicemail box. How does one go about obtaining some information on this? I really don't want to drive all the way to Marsing just to ask a question in person. I know the stuff is tiny and would take all day to fill my pickup, and that's OK by me. Idahonative (or anybody else in the loop), if you are still around, how in the world does one legally obtain this stuff? I would love to use it to make a new stock and forend for my Remington 870 too.

Our retail supplier here in Las Vegas has Mountain mahogany, if you can get some id get as much as you can,
They sell it as King wood, Also look at the price.http://www.nevadahotwood.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=212

Here is the thread. Click on his avatar and start a conversation with him. Or, reply to his thread and he may get a notification. Maybe he will chime in:

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...iest-firewood-blaze-king-distance-run.269274/

Latest posts

Back