Movie saw sighting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoss

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Usually in a movie if you see a chainsaw it is a prop or a real small saw, well tonight I was watching Arnold Shwarzenegger in "The Running man" and one of the 'stalker" characters called buzzsaw whose weapon of choice is a chainsaw was using a homelite 1050. I thought it was pretty cool to see a 100cc muscle saw in a mainstream movie. I know there were some big Macs in "Sometimes a great notion", but that was about logging.

In the Texas Chainsaw Massacre II (original series) Leatherface has an 090. In the newer versions he uses a heavily modified Husky 350 with a coat of black paint and a rubber chain. The movie was set in the late 60's, and us chainsaw purists can tell the sound of a modern, high RPM piston ported saw is very out of place in a movie set in the era of reed valve Macs and Homies.

At the beginning of The Mist, one of the homeowners is attempting to clean up storm damage with a newer Mac and can't start it.

In the new version of Dawn of the Dead, the people escaping the mall in the armored vans use a Husky (455 maybe?) to cut zombies off the sides of the van. The operator and van passengers lack proper training and PPE and some chick gets cut in half.

I don't know which saw Ash uses in the Evil Dead series. It kind of looks like a Mac but has a funny square top handle that looks like an old 020 and sports a big stainless bar like an older Homie.

In Season 3 of "24", CTU agents use a chainsaw to cut open a door to an apartment but you never get a good look at the saw. Strangely enough in the next scene the slice they cut out of the door is still intact. Why not just kick it down?

In the game "Gears of War" you can use a chainsaw as one of your weapons, but it kind of has a stupid sound like a little Poulan and is kind of dumb looking. If you're gonna have a chainsaw as a video game weapon, at least make it look and sound cool, like a Mac 797.

Thats all I can think of now, I am sure more will come to me.

In "Animal House" after the deltas give the Niedermeyer's horse a heart attack in the deans office in the next scene the janitor is getting ready to chop up the horse with a mini mac 6.

Last edited:
I don't know which saw Ash uses in the Evil Dead series. It kind of looks like a Mac but has a funny square top handle that looks like an old 020 and sports a big stainless bar like an older Homie.

I have always thought that w/ your user name you would know everything about Evil dead and Army Of Darkness...

Hoss you are a mind reader, I was watching that movie last night and wondered what saw was used.

I was watching the History channel on Skil saws one night and they claim Texas Chainsaw Mass. used one of their saws once, but not sure which year movie it was . It showed a pic and the bar said Skil accross it.

The original Texas cs mass. was a poulan 306 and all the other movies are just wnna be's.

I watched part of a new Texas CS Mass. on cable(don't know which one) and LeatherFace had some Chrome and Gold shiny chainsaw(look like a Stihl MS361) with what looked like a 24" or 25" bar and chain on it.

I have always thought that w/ your user name you would know everything about Evil dead and Army Of Darkness...

Yeah this one has been bugging me, I have no idea what saw he is using. It's probably a hodgepodge so nobody can recognize what saw it really is. Sounds like a bigger reed valve saw.

Yeah this one has been bugging me, I have no idea what saw he is using. It's probably a hodgepodge so nobody can recognize what saw it really is. Sounds like a bigger reed valve saw.

Found a pic of it on Evil Dead Wiki...It says it is just a red Homelite XL...

Image:Photos_medieval_chainsaw_1.jpg

Photos_medieval_chainsaw_1.jpg

How big a saw do you need for a horror movie?
Seems like a Wild Thing would pull a 36" bar through soft people just fine.

Speaking of Arnold Schwantzenstucker movies, what did they use to cut into Simon's trailer in True Lies, concrete saws?

Speaking of Arnold Schwantzenstucker movies, what did they use to cut into Simon's trailer in True Lies, concrete saws?[/QUOTE]

I've wondered that myself. It's nice to see someone asking the important questions. Lightsaber maybe?

I was watching a French made movie on the IFC and to my surprise, out of the woods comes a bunch of wood cutters carrying a great big saw. The name of the movie was May Fools, and the fools thought the saw was a machine gun or something and ran away from the guys with the saw, then you hear the saw running in the background, a cool sounding saw, but what brands of saws would the french use that sound cool?

Found a pic of it on Evil Dead Wiki...It says it is just a red Homelite XL...

Image:Photos_medieval_chainsaw_1.jpg

Photos_medieval_chainsaw_1.jpg

Only problem is the funny oversized top handle and the slats on the recoil cover, other than that it looks like an XL. I always thought it was a bigger saw than that. They must have adapted a 20" bar from a Super XL to fit it, and of course adapted it so Ash can use it with his cut off hand.

Latest posts

Back