WHAT is it about chainsaws-?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in IL. we have stores called Big R. They are like a Farm and Fleet or Tractor Supply. I don't know if I'd consider them a big box store... maybe a medium box store. :msp_wink:
However they sell Stihl saws in the stores.

When I was 12 a Delta pilot gave me a Homelite Super 2 because it was seized up. The guy wasnt outta the driveway and I had it running, sezed up! NO thats called compression!! He just couldnt pull it over. BAHAAAAAA The saw maker sets the saw too lean at the factory,(emissions must be met) that with a dull chain and someone that canot hear the saw is leaning out. Its not gonna take long to ruin a pile of saws. Like alot of guys have sayd, saw needs work outta the box,its not pull the rope and go! Carb turned up, Muffler cleaned up, Chain sharpened Chain sharpened Chain sharpened Chain sharpened Chain sharpened

OK, don't take this the wrong way - but running a saw with out-of-the-box tuning IS operator error. I own may 9 brands of saws from Jonsered, Husky and Partner (Swedish) to Echo (Japanese) to Royobi (Taiwan) to Poulan/Craftsman) (USA). They all run for years and years if you know what you are doing as far as set-up, tuning, and maintenance. ......

I would call it dealer error if the saw is bought at a dealership!

Can you live in VT and fly 727 airplanes!?:msp_ohmy:

I drank the cool aid and bought 2 new stihls in my life.

I also own and maintain a German sport car so I could not resist responding - 12 year old BMW Z3 here, I do all maintenance runs like a swiss watch with 112k miles. From as far as I can tell Germans have a different philosophy than US in that they try to sell quality over quantity, and they do tend to over engineer a bit at times, but one needs progress..

The philosophy seems to work if you make use of the quality by owning it an extended period to recover the higher cost and can maintain it yourself to avoid higher cost of ownership, otherwise it might not be the wisest choice.

Can you live in VT and fly 727 airplanes!?:msp_ohmy:

I drank the cool aid and bought 2 new stihls in my life.

I also own and maintain a German sport car so I could not resist responding - 12 year old BMW Z3 here, I do all maintenance runs like a swiss watch with 112k miles. From as far as I can tell Germans have a different philosophy than US in that they try to sell quality over quantity, and they do tend to over engineer a bit at times, but one needs progress..

The philosophy seems to work if you make use of the quality by owning it an extended period to recover the higher cost and can maintain it yourself to avoid higher cost of ownership, otherwise it might not be the wisest choice.
LOL I do all the maintenance on my 13 year old Hyundai Accent with 120k miles and 90hp - still runs like a top. Paid $12k for it new. I love it when guys in fine German automobiles ride my butt in the twisties, confident of their superiority over the econobox, only to find themselves going way faster in the turn than they were prepared to. I long ago tired of working on cars - fortunately my Hyundai rarely requires anything and when it does the work is easy. Just like with saws there is so much hype associated with branding.

I agree about hype, but I will say that if I had to take a box stock saw and pull the rope and go - it would be a Stihl. It's the only brand I have ever run that is close enough out of the box to get away with it :)

OK, don't take this the wrong way - but running a saw with out-of-the-box tuning IS operator error. I own may 9 brands of saws from Jonsered, Husky and Partner (Swedish) to Echo (Japanese) to Royobi (Taiwan) to Poulan/Craftsman) (USA). They all run for years and years if you know what you are doing as far as set-up, tuning, and maintenance.

You ship those burnt saws to me and I'll see that they get rebuilt and used by Park volunteers for the next 10 years or so. They are not bad products. They were just adjusted wrong and run w/o correcting the issues. High-speed air cooled two strokes are not water cooled Porsche's, or motorcycles, or jet engines. They are their own animals.

I don't dislike your idea of older Macs as good solid tools. My family knew and shared with upper echelon employees at McCulloch back in the day. My Pop got a free Mac from one of them as thanks for family camping them on our "resources". Been there and run them for a few decades, to say the least (since a 1-40 was a "new" saw). Built mini-bikes using Mac engines. Just bought three Mac rebuilders off the 'Bay to put into circulation at the local Park for forest management by the volunteer staff. Pretty tough and parts are still readily available.

But, before you go much further into this world, learn some tuning and set-up procedures. New saw - a few drops of Marvel Mystery Oil down the plug hole and spin her over a few times to make sure the rings are wet. It'll burn off soon enough. Mix the gas/oil a bit wet for the first few tank fulls. Say 36:1 with EGD/API-TC rated oil (choose your favorite poison). Keep the chain SHARP and moving. Bogging is bad. After say three tank fulls, you can run 40:1 all you want. Don't even reach for 50:1 until you really are skilled at tuning.

If they have EPA mufflers with cats (?), they need to come off and get a bit of mod as they trap too much heat in the motor and restrict breathing. This is not rocket science, but all these motor designs were laid down decades ago, adding new heat traps to older motor designs is creating teething problems like GM cars in the late 1970's.

We eventually got through the hurdles, but it was tough for a while. Add plastic chassis and such, and heat management is a issue to be taken seriously. So opening these mufflers up by 20% with a drill and die grinder will do a lot. Usually it's obvious - open the final discharge opening, drill a few holes in the inner ports to get better flow, etc. You can get much fancier, but this will do.

Get the right carb tuning tool for each saw you own before you ever attempt to run it. NEVER trust a factory tune. It was not done at your humidity/temp/altitude - and all two strokes are sensitive to tuning to meet atmospheric conditions. Once you have it dialed, it's good for most of a season, but you have to get there first. This applies to old Macs too. The lean thing is to get past EPA regs. It's not about a working motor running under load.

What brands of saws did you burn? If Poulan, you might want to look at getting another D009 bar mount brand like Husky or something. Might as well not toss good bars and chains. They are wear items, but they have a lot of usable life. Use them and learn to dress a bar, file a chain, set-up bar oil feed, etc.

You'll do OK, but you need to not hurry and ask what works, then think your way through it. You need to "pre-flight" a saw if you want it to live. There's just no way around it. It's part of basic safety and good tool maintenance.

Bet I know the two fellows who'll be rebuilding those burnt out saws for the park vollunteers. I know some of the guy's that'll be running them too (one of them is right handsome and a great guy, although a bit eccentric............and another is a good guy for a youngster, but may need to 'seek help'). I'm also kinda partial to the old American Macs, Homelites, and Poulans. I use the products from Los Angeles, Port Chester, and Shreveport with complete satisfaction.:cool2:

Robert McCulloch started making two cycle motors in 1943, first chainsaw in 1948.

Most stihls have the pizzazz of a microwave oven.

There's another sig-line worthy RandyMac quote right there!:D

I agree about hype, but I will say that if I had to take a box stock saw and pull the rope and go - it would be a Stihl. It's the only brand I have ever run that is close enough out of the box to get away with it :)
How would you get a Stihl "out of the box" that had not been tuned and set up by a dealer? Isn't that supposed to be part of why they cost so much? And conditions may change on the day after you get it home - so what would it matter anyway?

oldmar,

-If it was only ONE saw, then the chances of operator error being the cause would be high. But two saws? Not likely.

My qualifications: I have rebuilt the intake manifold of an '85 Porsche 928S2, have changed its clutch, and have maintained this car with my own hands for the past 13 years. I have changed the head gasket of a Fiat Spyder and an 85 hp Yamaha outboard. I have changed several radiators on various cars, have done EVERY oil/coolant/brake fluid change on the 10 cars that I have owned since 1984, and they were all successful. I was changing the oil on my dad's cars when I was 8. Professionally, I fly Boeing 727 jets for a cargo airline, and have been captain on this equipment and the Boeing 747, which I used to fly world wide.

Here's me at work in 2006, those are my ears that you will be looking at: Boeing 747 takeoff from JFK - YouTube

I'm not trying to beat my own drum or anything, [frankly I think I'm dumber than a box of rocks.....] but when I tell you that I mixed the gas and oil correctly....trust me, it got done right. Those saws died on me for NO reason other than manufacturer stupidity; They cheapened up the saws so much that they die after two uses. And they set them from the factory to run so lean that they cannot help to burn up!

This is not an attack at you, since you had a VALID point. But the saws died not due to my negligence, trust me!

T

Oldmar?

T!

I rebuilt the carb on the Mac250 last night. I replaced parts for parts, and nearly all were the same! My neighbor confirmed the transition.

I produced several loud pops from my Mac 250, but I could not recreate them. A Mac 250 is a 1965 McCulloch 250 chainsaw, a trully nasty piece of equipment that scares the crap out of most gardeners.

A MAC 250 can take a 100 foot oak tree down in 60 seconds. On a bad day~

To the OP, welcome aboard. Try to develop your tuning skills. Brad Snelling has some good ones on You Tube. Look for saw tuning and four stroking chainsaw, this is where I learned the unique sound of a properly tuned saw. Remember, its not like a car engine where your looking for the highest top end rpm with a clean running sound. If your running too lean your saw will not live long.

Stihl makes some of the nicest stuff you can buy right off the shelf and use right away, cant knock em for that.But if you think outside the box, take yourself back 30+ years ago and go with a McCulloch you will not be disappointed. If McCulloch and Homelite still made pro saws today would Stihl be on the high horse it is now? The world may never know.

I find it amusing guys talking about keeping the low mileage cars running. I have had 8 vehicles with over 100,000 miles. My VW has 360,000 miles. At least 5 of those vehicles had 200-250,000 + miles. I have done clutches, head gasket changes, rings, bearings, clutches, timing belts, timing chains, brakes, suspension bushings ... Only service done by someone else besides alignments was transmission bearings in a Toyota Pickup. I know I have driven over million miles which I know is not a lot. Three paint jobs.

My Craftsman/Poulan chainsaw (early 80's model) was in pieces when I got it. Not a lot of pieces, just carb off and some parts missing. That saw served me well enough except it never liked to idle slow enough to not turn the chain. It would not start one day so I got a little Stihl MS210 that has served me well. I since got it running again but I think the oil tank has corroded and leaks. I have 4 other two cycle engines that have hard carb refreshes, and some other small engines (Craigslist finds) that have needed love to get them right. But I am far from an expert in either cars, small engines or tractors, but I am fairly competent with the stuff I own.

No helpful answers on why two economy saws goofed up but the real experts suggest too lean carb adjustments. On the other hand I do not recall reading the nature of the failures.

Saws are a welcome relief from IT work. Mechanically simple and elegant. They have turned into a relaxing hobby. Plus, owning the most powerful saws of anyone I know is fun, too.

I rebuilt the carb on the Mac250 last night. I replaced parts for parts, and nearly all were the same! My neighbor confirmed the transition.

I produced several loud pops from my Mac 250, but I could not recreate them. A Mac 250 is a 1965 McCulloch 250 chainsaw, a trully nasty piece of equipment that scares the crap out of most gardeners.

A MAC 250 can take a 100 foot oak tree down in 60 seconds. On a bad day~

As a precautionary measure: I would change the crank seals, Check the impulse line and make sure the saw isnt sucking air anywhere. Did you check the fulcrum height before you put the carb back together?

As a precautionary measure: I would change the crank seals, Check the impulse line and make sure the saw isnt sucking air anywhere. Did you check the fulcrum height before you put the carb back together?

The post you responded to was done in June 2012 ............
I am guessing that the OP ruined that saw as well, since he hasnt posted about it since

Latest posts

Back