Moving logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's how I move a log.

:cheers:

attachment.php

My mill will only handle up to a 31" log, this beast would require a lot of chainsaw work.

How big is it anyway???? DBH.

That's cool! But I think the state troopers would frown on it.

LOL, I didnt steal it, it was from a remodel that we did at a Budweiser distributor several years ago. They have the entire inside of their warehouses lined with guardrails and I ended up salvaging about twenty pieces or so.

LOL, I didnt steal it, it was from a remodel that we did at a Budweiser distributor several years ago. They have the entire inside of their warehouses lined with guardrails and I ended up salvaging about twenty pieces or so.

LOL. I meant they would not think it was so good for the highway. Looks great for around the farm.

Here's mine. The skid will pick up about 1200 lbs. Trailer bed is 24' and has 7k axles under it, both with brakes. Excursion is a V10 gasser that will tow anything I throw behind it.

2009-07-20002.jpg

2009-07-10002.jpg

Here's mine. The skid will pick up about 1200 lbs. Trailer bed is 24' and has 7k axles under it, both with brakes. Excursion is a V10 gasser that will tow anything I throw behind it.

2009-07-20002.jpg

2009-07-10002.jpg

Wow. You are deffinitly using every 24' of that trailer and then some. Nice little skid. Any idea how much the skid and the stump grinder weigh together?

Scott -

That is a nice set-up, and you do load every inch of it.

The first photo, however, shows you have way too much tongue weight. With your front end light, your handling can get pretty squirrelly on you. Your tongue weight should be about 10% - 15% of your gross trailer weight. So, if your trailer is maxed out at 14k, your tongue weight should be about 1,400 lbs - 2,100 lbs. That's a lot of weight for a tagalong (bumper style) hitch.

I found out the hard way that the factory hitch on my 3/4 ton pickup was only rated for 7,000 pounds GTW. I too have a 14,000 lb rated trailer (see pics in post #22). I upgraded to a class-V 2-1/2" hitch receiver (Reese Titan), forged ball mounts and class-V hitch balls. It made a big difference.

I am also considering adding air helper springs and perhaps a weight distributing hitch. When I'm hauling my tractor (about 6,000 lbs), I've noticed that shifting it just 6" forward or backward can make a dramatic difference in the handling of my truck.

By the way, too little tongue weight can be worse as it can lead to your trailer swinging back and forth behind you. If that happens, you're in for a change of clothes in short order.

You've got a great rig there, keep it safe.

- Marty

Scott -

That is a nice set-up, and you do load every inch of it.

The first photo, however, shows you have way too much tongue weight. With your front end light, your handling can get pretty squirrelly on you. Your tongue weight should be about 10% - 15% of your gross trailer weight. So, if your trailer is maxed out at 14k, your tongue weight should be about 1,400 lbs - 2,100 lbs. That's a lot of weight for a tagalong (bumper style) hitch.

I found out the hard way that the factory hitch on my 3/4 ton pickup was only rated for 7,000 pounds GTW. I too have a 14,000 lb rated trailer (see pics in post #22). I upgraded to a class-V 2-1/2" hitch receiver (Reese Titan), forged ball mounts and class-V hitch balls. It made a big difference.

I am also considering adding air helper springs and perhaps a weight distributing hitch. When I'm hauling my tractor (about 6,000 lbs), I've noticed that shifting it just 6" forward or backward can make a dramatic difference in the handling of my truck.

By the way, too little tongue weight can be worse as it can lead to your trailer swinging back and forth behind you. If that happens, you're in for a change of clothes in short order.

You've got a great rig there, keep it safe.

- Marty

I'm well aware of everything you just listed.

The handling wasn't affected enough to matter. It was a very heavy load and I drove accordingly.

Scott -

No offense intended, I just thought I'd share some observations and personal experience for those readers that may not have as much towing experience as you have.

I've overloaded trailers, had too much and too little tongue weight (and experienced the unnerving trailer swing), and committed various other "trailering sins", so I certainly didn't intend to be in any way condescending or judgmental.

You have some sweet equipment. I bet your trailer would be just right for my tractor with the loader on the front and the brush hog on the back.

- Marty

Scott -

No offense intended, I just thought I'd share some observations and personal experience for those readers that may not have as much towing experience as you have.

I've overloaded trailers, had too much and too little tongue weight (and experienced the unnerving trailer swing), and committed various other "trailering sins", so I certainly didn't intend to be in any way condescending or judgmental.

You have some sweet equipment. I bet your trailer would be just right for my tractor with the loader on the front and the brush hog on the back.

- Marty

I'm pretty thick skinned so no offense was taken.

Bet there'd still be room left over after you loaded your tractor.

Think this counts as trailering sin?

31,640 on the scale. That was 10 tons of pine.

2009-07-20004.jpg

Latest posts

Back