MS 036 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hrm.

If it was me, I would stop replacing everything & first try to tune the carb. I know you're not replacing expensive stuff, but there's a very good chance it simply needs some adjustment. Sounds like the L screw might be out of whack (why it is starting on full choke but dying thereafter).

You mention the limiter tabs are stopping you from getting enough movement - try cutting them off & see if you can solve your problem with a slight adjustment to the carburetor. Its possible the impulse line is gone or you need a full carb rebuild, but I would say that more than likely it is simply a case of adjustments.

I think you'll love the saw. Imho one of the best 60cc class saws ever made. Ahead of its time when it was introduced and still a perfectly capable workhorse.

It needs a carb kit, when the choke is closed it's getting plenty of fuel and air and in the right amount to run, not to run at full throttle or run good...just run and as soon as the choke is opened it runs lean and dies. Very typical of a carb needing a kit. Exhaust clogged would be..... can't run it up to full throttle or it doesn't have any power and can also be indication of needing a carb kit. You need to check both boxes on this one, new kit and clean the spark screen.

I don't know if it's good practice (guess I might find out), but if the fuel line won't stretch to twice it's length without breaking, it gets replaced.

If the fuel line needs replaced, I then check the impulse line and carb boot for hardness/cracks/etc.

If the carb works okay, I leave it alone. If not, it's gets some new parts.

Thanks for the replies you guys have been a big help. Here's an update, went out and bought one of the 15 dollar propane torches today and got the spark arrestor cleaned off completely, bunch of old dirt on there and in the inlet channel type deal going into the muffler there was some small bee pods. I'm guessing this thing hadn't been running for awhile or hadn't been cleaned out since it was bought. As I said earlier though the piston looks to be in amazing shape, nice and shiny and no scoring or noticeable scratches that I could see. Also got the limiter tabs cut off and pulled off of the carb needles. Adjusted both to 1 turn out as recommended by you guys. I noticed on the cover it said 3/4 for the high I believe and something like 1/2 for the low, can't remember off the top of my head. I didn't get a chance to try and start it since it's so late but will tomorrow afternoon, hopefully all goes well. If it still doesn't start I'm going to get a carb kit, probably just the diaphragm portion because everything looked great inside of it, no gumming or varnishing and the gaskets were in good shape. I will also probably pick up an impulse line if I don't have any in my toolbox. Looks to be the same line that some of the Stihl weedwackers use so I may be lucky. Also at some point would like to get a new spark plug for it. I will update you guys tomorrow and let you know what happened, thanks again.

Well guys got a chance to get on that pull cord this morning and boy did she sing! Sounds like one hell of a saw and I can't wait to cut with it. Thanks everyone for their help, all I need to do now is simply adjust the carburetor from those 1 full turn out settings.:rock:

Looks like you're getting there.

I did pay too much for an 036 Pro a few weeks ago. Got her home and she's getting a new fuel line, impulse line, and fuel tank vent.

I was kinda perturbed at how much I paid until the muffler was off.

The crosshatch marks look new on the cylinder, and the piston looks great. Whew!

Drilled out the muffler a tad and just waiting on a couple of parts to come in.

Hopefully it's a good runner. Haven't been around one before.

Hi,

Could I ask how much is a fair price for a 036 pro? I am in need of a bigger saw and came across one one of them, but I think his asking price of $300 was a little steep for a 15 yr old saw.

P.

Hi,

Could I ask how much is a fair price for a 036 pro? I am in need of a bigger saw and came across one one of them, but I think his asking price of $300 was a little steep for a 15 yr old saw.

P.

It depends. I have one now that I have a fellow offering nearly a couple of hundred more that that. It is in very nice shape and has all new rubber throughout. I don't think it's had a hard life and I'm considering not selling it. Man that thing runs.

$300.00 sounds pretty good to me, if it's in good working order and not all beat up. Pics would sure help.

Here's the one I have...

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

It depends. I have one now that I have a fellow offering nearly a couple of hundred more that that. It is in very nice shape and has all new rubber throughout. I don't think it's had a hard life and I'm considering not selling it. Man that thing runs.

$300.00 sounds pretty good to me, if it's in good working order and not all beat up. Pics would sure help.
Unless you really need the 036 Pro...you got to be nuts to not take $500..!!!...imho

$300 is a decent price if in good working condition...as PA said...!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Thanks,

I might not be needing it rigt now but I think it'll come handy next season. Now I have to convince my wife why I need the saw.

P.

Back