MS 170 chain options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremez

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I've been using my bosses new MS 170 for all the limbing around the chipper and I've made it my mission to make it cut a little better. For the time being a carb swap and muff mod are out of the question till we get some down time. I hand filled it today and it cut pretty well. I'll put it on my USG this weekend and sweeten it up. My question is if anyone has tried 1/4 pitch with any success ?
Has anyone tried grinding off every other tooth ( homemade skip chain ) for the 3/8 .043 chain ? Thought I'd try making the skip chain just curious if anyone else has tried and had any luck. Thanks

So I've been using my bosses new MS 170 for all the limbing around the chipper and I've made it my mission to make it cut a little better. For the time being a carb swap and muff mod are out of the question till we get some down time. I hand filled it today and it cut pretty well. I'll put it on my USG this weekend and sweeten it up. My question is if anyone has tried 1/4 pitch with any success ?
Has anyone tried grinding off every other tooth ( homemade skip chain ) for the 3/8 .043 chain ? Thought I'd try making the skip chain just curious if anyone else has tried and had any luck. Thanks
The only time I've used 1/4" on an Ms 170 was carving bar use. It's not a tough chain. Don't know how it would stand up to the use iy would see. Might try lo pro forget what stihl call their version.

The saw is wearing the STIHL pmmc3 chain which is their lo pro. It's decent. Just thought I could make it better

Definitely don't make skip chain out of the chain on it...it will be rougher than hell in the cut, especially cutting small branches. Save the old bar and chain for backup.

Buy a 14" 3/8p .050 bar and a loop of Stihl 63ps50. Much better setup than stock.
I switched to the 3/8 picco .050. Just a better chain all around. Donyboy73 has a good youtube video about changing to .050 and shows close up comparison of both chains.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Try a loop of Oregon 90S. If you have enough power it seems like 0.050" lo pro is as fast, but for underpowered saws 0.043" does have advantages - although I only have experience with the Oregon versions.

I have the PS on my 201 and it rips but like said above, the 170 needs all the help it can get hence the .043. I know I could put a 14" and .050 on it but I'm trying to make the best of what's on there now which is 16" .043. Thanks for the suggestions

I hand sharpened it Friday and it cuts much better. The next sharpening is happening on my USG.

I hand sharpened it Friday and it cuts much better. The next sharpening is happening on my USG.

Watch closely using a grinder on that chain. The .043 has tiny cutters and you can take too much off quick and greatly reduce the lifespan of them...which is already short. File is best, IMO.

Latest posts

Back