MS 180 lite mod saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XSKIER

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just thought I'd share with yous a cheap and easy mod. These mods only require basic hand tools and very little skill.
1. I went to the local dealer and bought new fuel line (green), fuel filter, air filter, and carburetor. $39
2. Remove starter and flywheel, file about a third of the key stock away on the "front" side of the key.
3. Lock the crank from turning, I use the $2 stihl locking strip. Place the flywheel on the crank, rotate the wheel clockwise up against the unfiled part of the key. Now rotate the wheel approximately .250" (about 8°) on the OD counter clockwise and secure the nut. (Sorry, no pic :( ) replace starter
4. Remove the muffler outlet, pitch the spark arresting screen, open the outlet louvers with a screwdriver. Replace muffler cover.

5. Now the carb. Remove it, open the metering chamber, remove the metering spring and cut 3 coils off. Pop off pressure is now at 27 psi. Reassemble the carb and install it. This fixes a lean off idle bog, but doesn't richen the top end much. I'm using the oe carb with a 44 fixed main jet.

4/8: UPDATE!!! I went back in to adjust the metering spring. I cut 3 coils off the other end to drop the pop off pressure to 24 psi. After another test run it has even better throttle response.

That's all there is to it. It may not be the fastest race ported MS 180 out there, but it runs good. I wouldn't be afraid to do these mods to a brand new saw, the dealer tech would have to be really anal to find your mods and deny warranty service.

Flame away!

Sure. I'll do it later. I can put it up against a stock 020T, both wearing 63 PS3 50 saw chain on a 14" blade. What size nail infested race cant would you like to see?

Ahh yes, my favorite Stihl!

IMG_0870-L.jpg

DSC00087-L.jpg

Also shared a flywheel key and broke a clutch spider. Gotta be careful when working on these little boogers.

Is that hole from detonation, or a piston stop? Same question about the rod?

No Brad its the Husky's that are flimsy:dizzy:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any good words for the husqy 240? Near as I can tell it's 10 bux and 1 lb more? I would assume both the MS 180 and 240 are flimsy...

see all those little holes behind the deflector???? cut that whole plate out from behind the deflector then get you a wt215 carb and put on it,,, then you will have it MMed and a full adjustable carb on it

see all those little holes behind the deflector???? cut that whole plate out from behind the deflector then get you a wt215 carb and put on it,,, then you will have it MMed and a full adjustable carb on it

Not the direction I was headed with a "lite mod". All stock parts, and no grinding. I really appreciate a quick return to idle on my limbing saws. However, it seems to me like all of yous race ported saws take a few seconds to spool back down to idle. I appreciate a quick cut as much as the next guy, but I'd rather not mod my saws to far.

Latest posts

Back