MS 250.. Buy or not to buy???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50/50 Bullocks !!

the neigh sayers are NOT owners or users of that particular model. I was given mine because the owner hated it so bad. He could not start it for anything. I use it one handed often as often as I reach for any other saw.

Its a mutt for sure but I can't ever seem to leave mine behind. Psst don't tell the shiny 026 next to it that rarely ever comes out anymore he might get jealous. seriously it will do everything asked of it and give you everything it has...for a $100? Are you kidding me. I'ld buy a second one for that money.

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like its 50:50 yeah or neah. I think I'm going to swallow my CAD desires right now and hold out for a MS 260 Pro. Anyone know where's a good deal to be had on a MS 260 Pro? :greenchainsaw:

If you have not run one of these, I would go try it out. I have several 025/250's and 026/260's in my shop now. Ironically, all of the 025's belong to tree guys, and the 026 are private owner.....

BOTH of those saws have their fair share of crank seal problems. True, the air filter tabs break off on the 025 filters. The 026 filter is no gem either, with the choke being part of the filter. Both are rubber A/V mounts. One reason to choose an 026 over an 025 is for bar interchange with bigger Stihl saws. 026 is also a bit easier to mod if you're going to get into changing compression ratios. Either one will need a muffler mod to run right. Or you can just get an older 025 or 026 muffler.

If that 250 is a fixed HS carb, I'd probably pass. You'll need to mod or replace the muffler, and then source a carb. Not hard to do, but you're getting into 026 territory when you figure in the cost of mods. Of course, there are some 026's with fixed carbs too......

If you have the money burning a hole in your pocket the $100 is a fair price for a fine running 025. Personally I like mine, but don't run it all that often. But if you want to hold out and put that money towards a better saw, do it. Keep your eyes open and you'll find what your looking for. Sometimes it is just as fun to pass up something and hold out for something better, unless you really really want an 025.

I grabbed a 250 just because of stihls instant rebate. All the money I spend with them I figure they owe me. I have to say i'm real impressed with it and its' not a fully adjustable carb but I really dont care, if I need more power than it can offer I grab a bigger saw and problem solved.

I just sold one (025) for $125 and felt like I gave the guy one hell of a deal.....

It was a strong runner.....almost as strong as the 026 and very light and nimble. It was pretty simple to work on as well. After you figure out how it comes apart......tear down to the block can be done in about 5 minutes.

Latest posts

Back