Ms 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl023/5

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I thought I would cut some smaller wood this morning and was going to use the MS 250 the wife gave me for Christmas. Wrong good thing I took the Echo CS400. Anyway I started cutting with the 250 and the chain tightened up, yep hot again. Checked for fling off on a stump and there was none. So I set the disappointment aside and used the 400. Yes the chain is sharp. The bar didn't have a chance to get plugged. I cleaned and checked everything and ran it with the bar off and the flow looked good. I had a 025 and still have a 023 both had 3/8 lp set ups. And that 023 makes this 250 look like a pos. Would these 250s work better with the 3/8 lp set up. Being it is or supposed to be under warranty I am tempted to take it in but the local dealers well I best not say. Any suggestions would be helpful thanks.

I have a low time four port 025 with .325 X 16" bar and it is a beast for a little homeowner chainsaw

Everything is clear. It is about to be a shelf queen just so I don't upset the wife. (She should have got another husky or echo.)

If the oiler isn't working I don't see why you wouldn't just take it to the dealer. If you have them start it, see no oil come out, take the bar off and see it's not plugged, you would think they would replace the oiler. Of course, judging from your wording, that may be a different story.

What I meant was drill them out a little larger.

I have another slightly used bar I could do that to but was thinking of selling that one. And if I do that to the original you know how that will go if I end up taking it in. This thing has not seen 2 tanks.

Hopefully this will help..

When I got my new Husky 385XP, the holes in the bar were so filled with paint that it would not oil correctly.
I had to scrape all the paint out of the holes and now it oils correctly.

What mount is yours? I have a bar you can try if it would work and I am going to the land of potholes today.

I have another slightly used bar I could do that to but was thinking of selling that one. And if I do that to the original you know how that will go if I end up taking it in. This thing has not seen 2 tanks.

The warranty is on the powerhead not be bar.....drill it. You could go in there with an Oregon bar and still have a warranty.

What mount is yours? I have a bar you can try if it would work and I am going to the land of potholes today.

I do have a orange GB that I could open the hole up that seen a little use on the old 025. Thanks though.:cheers:

...I started cutting with the 250 and the chain tightened up, yep hot again. Checked for fling off on a stump and there was none...Being it is or supposed to be under warranty I am tempted to take it in but the local dealers well I best not say. Any suggestions would be helpful thanks.

Have you run it without the bar to see whether oil is being pumped out of the oil port? If it isn't, take it to a dealer under warranty. If any of the local dealers are listed by Stihl online as having a factory-certified service technician, I'd go there first.

Have you run it without the bar to see whether oil is being pumped out of the oil port? If it isn't, take it to a dealer under warranty. If any of the local dealers are listed by Stihl online as having a factory-certified service technician, I'd go there first.

Yes bar off flow looked good.

I thought I would cut some smaller wood this morning and was going to use the MS 250 the wife gave me for Christmas. Wrong good thing I took the Echo CS400. Anyway I started cutting with the 250 and the chain tightened up, yep hot again. Checked for fling off on a stump and there was none. So I set the disappointment aside and used the 400. Yes the chain is sharp. The bar didn't have a chance to get plugged. I cleaned and checked everything and ran it with the bar off and the flow looked good. I had a 025 and still have a 023 both had 3/8 lp set ups. And that 023 makes this 250 look like a pos. Would these 250s work better with the 3/8 lp set up. Being it is or supposed to be under warranty I am tempted to take it in but the local dealers well I best not say. Any suggestions would be helpful thanks.

Sure sounds like there isn't much of a problem to correct. Don't dig in to far and void your warranty
Be sure it is actually lack of lubrication. May be something doesnt match. Double check and make sure your sprocket and chain and bar are all the same pitch and gauge: 3/8 picco for all 3. Chain and bar both either .043 or .050.
Is your sprocket nose working smooth as it should, may be a bad bearing in the nose.
You have oil coming out, if its enough (you could need a new or higher out put pump if not, or the line, pick up or vent could be defective) shouldn't be no problem before with the power head.
May be I forgot something but a good dealer should check these area's, starting with the simple checks until he finds the cause.
I don't remember having or using the later ms 250 but the 025 we had at the state tree nursery and the few I run on my own have been reliable and sweet to use. I did purchase a couple old 025's on ebay that didn't oil. I am parting 1 cause of a damaged tank assy and the other I put on my bench a couple days ago and started tearing into it for not oiling.

Sure sounds like there isn't much of a problem to correct. Don't dig in to far and void your warranty
Be sure it is actually lack of lubrication. May be something doesnt match. Double check and make sure your sprocket and chain and bar are all the same pitch and gauge: 3/8 picco for all 3. Chain and bar both either .043 or .050.
Is your sprocket nose working smooth as it should, may be a bad bearing in the nose.
You have oil coming out, if its enough (you could need a new or higher out put pump if not, or the line, pick up or vent could be defective) shouldn't be no problem before with the power head.
May be I forgot something but a good dealer should check these area's, starting with the simple checks until he finds the cause.
I don't remember having or using the later ms 250 but the 025 we had at the state tree nursery and the few I run on my own have been reliable and sweet to use. I did purchase a couple old 025's on ebay that didn't oil. I am parting 1 cause of a damaged tank assy and the other I put on my bench a couple days ago and started tearing into it for not oiling.

This one is set up .325 18" I put it all back and ran I have oil slinging in the cover but hardly any off the end of the bar on a board.

This one is set up .325 18" I put it all back and ran I have oil slinging in the cover but hardly any off the end of the bar on a board.

.325 18" might need the higher output oiler which I'd think could be changed under warranty but it sounds like the oil is going the wrong direction. If the oil holes line up and are big enough you must have a goofy bar :confused:. I'd double check everything close and if you don't find the problem, take it to the dealer and show him what it does with the bar and chain mounted, then go back home and cut some wood.

Yep this one is certified. A month or so I took it in because of the high limiter and said it was lean wide open they tached it was "within spec" Spec or not I could be deaf and know it is lean. But because of the warr. I dont want to remove the limiter yet.

.325 18" might need the higher output oiler which I'd think could be changed under warranty but it sounds like the oil is going the wrong direction. If the oil holes line up and are big enough you must have a goofy bar :confused:. I'd double check everything close and if you don't find the problem, take it to the dealer and show him what it does with the bar and chain mounted, then go back home and cut some wood.

Well I am taking it in I will let everyone know the outcome. Since it is in warranty I dont want to void it but I am sure they will come up with a reason.:help:

Last edited:
Yep this one is certified. A month or so I took it in because of the high limiter and said it was lean wide open they tached it was "within spec" Spec or not I could be deaf and know it is lean. But because of the warr. I dont want to remove the limiter yet.

Well I am taking it in I will let everyone know the outcome. Since it is in warranty I dont want to void it but I am sure they will come up with a reason.:help:

Wait one. Too lean and not oiling. You've taken it to the dealer (for the lean) and they said nothing is wrong. So you are going to make it a shelf queen because you don't want to wrench on it yourself and void the warranty? Putting the questionable compentency of the dealer aside for a moment, why would you put the saw up when you know how to fix it yourself? Put it on the shelf till when? The warrany expires and then fix it? What's the point of that?

Not bustin your chops here, I just don't understand some people's approach to fixable equiment and fear of voiding warranties. What good are the warranties if they won't fix the issues? Fix the saw, sh!tcan the "warranty" and move on using your saw.

Wait one. Too lean and not oiling. You've taken it to the dealer (for the lean) and they said nothing is wrong. So you are going to make it a shelf queen because you don't want to wrench on it yourself and void the warranty? Putting the questionable compentency of the dealer aside for a moment, why would you put the saw up when you know how to fix it yourself? Put it on the shelf till when? The warrany expires and then fix it? What's the point of that?

Not bustin your chops here, I just don't understand some people's approach to fixable equiment and fear of voiding warranties. What good are the warranties if they won't fix the issues? Fix the saw, sh!tcan the "warranty" and move on using your saw.

from someone that has 3 earthquakes:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Back