MS 260 pro or 290 FB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logjam

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
O.K. Guys,
I can't make up my mind for a purchase. I reallize the 260 is a profesional grade saw, and i'd be confident it would last for many wood cuttings. However the 290FB has more power and is far more economical in price. Just not sure if these are cheap saws.
Can anybody Help me out with this one?

Why are you buying a 290 or 260 with the lineup you have? Get a 460............

My 028 needs a friend and It's getting tired. Plus my two sons age 13 & 16 want to join me in the wood cutting biz.
So I figure it's a great oppurtunity to do some saw shopping.

p.s. I am gonna overhaul my 028. But a new saw in the aresenal is always a plus.

Myself I would opt for the 280.
But between the 260 and 290? 260 hands down.

From what I have read the 260 is a pro saw and people seem to really like it. The 029 or 290 is a home owner version.

If you have an 028, 034 and 361 you would be bummed out on the 290. Get the 260...

A saw is a long term investment, spend the extra bucks and enjoy one of the finest saws in its class! When you amortize it out the MS260 Pro doesn't cost that much more per year. I like mine!

O.K. Guys,
I can't make up my mind for a purchase. I reallize the 260 is a profesional grade saw, and i'd be confident it would last for many wood cuttings. However the 290FB has more power and is far more economical in price. Just not sure if these are cheap saws.
Can anybody Help me out with this one?

:arg: Does it have to be a Stihl?

If you're going to be teaching your sons how to use a saw, I'd opt for the 260 and use that low-kickback safety chain. I taught my nephew how to cut last spring and that set-up was highly successful. It wasn't as much that I was afraid of kickback with him, but rather that he drove the tip of the bar into the dirt more often and the safety chain would resist dulling a little better.

If you want to stay with a Stihl, go with the 260, especially with the line-up you have- it should fit nicely. And if you're teaching the kids to saw, they you're gonna want something a little lighter, not as powerful, and easy and comfortable to use; I'd say the 260 is the perfect candidate. However, if it's just a few more bucks, go with the 260 pro for the de-compression valve and adjustable carb and oiler..

If you'd be open to other brands, then I'd suggest you check out a Husqvarna 346xp. Some of the others would know better, but I'd say this is a fair comparison to the Stihl MS260? This was the saw that opened my eyes to Huskys, and if I didn't have a saw that size already, I'd find an excuse to buy one. Very smooth running, pretty powerful, very comfortable, and just overall fantastic. And you might be interested in the trio-brake, which has a handle behind the throttle (rist-activated) to activate the chain-brake as well. Might be an added bonus if you're going to hand this saw to the kids.

I guess I have been converted. I'm going to sell my MS290 to buy me a 026. 026 might not out cut MS290 on bigger stuff but to me but it going to be 3lb lighter is nice for limbing. Plus I think my 044 with 25" bar is almost as light as my MS290 with 18" bar. That doesn't make since to me.

MS290 has done me right though. It's a good cutter with 165psi compression stock.

Latest posts

Back