MS 290 fuel leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRider

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an MS 290 that has been having fuel issues. It runs fine at full throttle but dies after several half throttle cuts. It actes like it's was out of fuel. I have to choke it to get it to restart. Since the fuel line was several years old I figured I would replace it.
I replaced the fuel line and cleaned/rebuilt the carburetor and cleaned the vent tube.
Now it leaks gas out from around where the new fuel line enters the fuel tank. I thought maybe I had a bad new line so I replaced. I still have gas leaking from around where the fuel line enters the fuel tank.
I've read all of the hints for replacing the line and I'm stumped on why it's leaking. The new line has the same part numbers and looks exactly like the old line.
Any suggestions?:confused:

I have an MS 290 that has been having fuel issues. It runs fine at full throttle but dies after several half throttle cuts. It actes like it's was out of fuel. I have to choke it to get it to restart. Since the fuel line was several years old I figured I would replace it.
I replaced the fuel line and cleaned/rebuilt the carburetor and cleaned the vent tube.
Now it leaks gas out from around where the new fuel line enters the fuel tank. I thought maybe I had a bad new line so I replaced. I still have gas leaking from around where the fuel line enters the fuel tank.
I've read all of the hints for replacing the line and I'm stumped on why it's leaking. The new line has the same part numbers and looks exactly like the old line.
Any suggestions?:confused:

How did you put in new hose in? Its best to slick it up with something so you don't tear it pulling in through the tank. If you used a screwdriver and pressed it in from the top side of the tank thats a no no...

I lubed up the flange on the hose with oil and used a forceps to pull it in from inside the tank.

Sounds like you did it right then. Need to remove the carb, take the hose back out and check that area for cracks and stretch that hose and look for cracks. Two new hoses leaking doesn't sound right, one crack in the gas tank would though.

Last edited:
Thall, you the "new" man!!!!!

Oh no no no. I figured I would let you drink your final ta ta before I handed it back over to ya Fish. You should have it down now, back to work, I'm off to the store to get me some goodies to satisfy my munchies, You gettttttttter done now, ya hear,LOLOL

When I rev up the saw the gas sprays out from around the hose. When the saw is off and I lay the saw on its side to refuel the gas seeps out.

When I rev up the saw the gas sprays out from around the hose. When the saw is off and I lay the saw on its side to refuel the gas seeps out.

Not to say you did it wrong but I had a man one time with a 036 spraying fuel. I checked it and found he had put the hose in upside down, meaning he had the big end, the filter end, attached to the carb and the small end, the carb end, attached to the filter...

I "think" I have it in right. The hose has a flange with a flat side, that is on the outside of the fuel tank. With the flat side facing the tab on the fuel tank.
The numbers on the old and new hose are the same but I'm starting to think that I've got the wrong hose.

I "think" I have it in right. The hose has a flange with a flat side, that is on the outside of the fuel tank. With the flat side facing the tab on the fuel tank.
The numbers on the old and new hose are the same but I'm starting to think that I've got the wrong hose.

1127-358-7702 is the hose number..

Flat side up, you got it right..

I am wondering how you got the old hose out? I have seen a few of those holes buggered by folks levering the old hoses out with screwdrivers. I'd look at the edges of that fuel tank hole closely.

UPDATE
I went to a different dealer and picked up a new hose and the leak is fixed. The new new hose was fatter where it fits through the tank compared to the new old hose that I had installed before. According to the dealers they both gave me the same hose but there was a definite difference.
Thanks for the help. :clap:

Latest posts

Back