Ms 291 vs ms362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grafton8

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I currently own a ms 291 and looking to upgrade to a Pro saw. I have been looking at the ms362. I know the ms 291 is 55cc while the 362 is 59cc...

Is there a noticeable difference in power or should wait and go bigger into the 70cc range?

thanks

Specs say the 362 has 1 more horsepower and can run a 25" bar. What are you doing with the saw? Pro work, cutting hickory?

In my experience the 362 does have good power, but really lacks in torque. I'd find either a different brand or model if you are running a 25" cutting 20" or larger hard wood, but you will notice a big increase in power over the 291, so it may be what you want.

My non-moronic ms362 certainly doesn't lack torque for its size. It's probably neck and neck with my early model 262xp, and is noticeably torquier than my Echo cs590, as well as revving quicker than either.

its a really nice running saw and smooth as silk.

sometimes I feel like an Echo fanboi in my constant defence of the ms362...

I would vote for ms 362 repeatedly unless of course you could get your hands on the ms 400... As far as torque and bar size go, the most important thing would be what kind of trees do you cut? I run a 25" with skip chain on mine, here in SE AK we mostly cut spruce hemlock and cottonwood. On a trip down to the midwest once doing some storm cleanup in Southern Minnesota, cutting hardwood a 20" with full comp was pretty maxxed out.

At any rate, light years ahead of the 291 in my experience.

Back