MS 361 bogging down???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonLandscape

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i got a 361 that starts and runs fine until u put it in a log....it wont pull thru the whole log....it idles and revs good but once it starts cutting it just dogs down completley.

put a new air filter, fuel filter and sproket on it and still does it....

maybe a new spark plug? I checked the carbs and the look pretty cleantook it apart too, except for the needle or jet. but the diaphrams looked good.

any ideas?

I had the same problem with mine. Thought it was a crack in the gas tank at first but it turned out to be one of the lines. I turned it over to 046 from here and he figured it out as he is a better wrench than me. I was so thankful that it was not the gas tank. Maybe 046 will chime in if he sees this.

check the spark arrestor screen, had one plug up and caused the same symptoms. just a thought.

Ditto on the screen.

Are you sure the bar and chain are OK? Is the chain tightening up? Be sure the bar oil holes are clean.

You may get more responses if this were in the chainsaw section.

There is also poor compression... they can run at say, 120 PSI, but they suck when put in wood. Pull the muffler and check for scoring, or put a compression tester on it. Other than that I would tach it, and check the carb and H/L settings.

muffler screen is possible but sounds like you need to fatten up the high jet. Most of the 361's need to be tuned to the left all the way if they still have the stopper in them.

Back