Ms 361 hard to start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmoose

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My fil has an almost new ms 361 and it floods almost everytime it he cranks it.I have see other people hace the smae problem, what would be the cure?Do i need to put a different carb on it or mod the muffler?should I wait until the warrenty runs out?Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks moose

1st... Make sure H/L are set properly.

2nd... Leave DeComp alone

3rd... 3 pulls full choke, kick full choke off and pull 'till start.

It's very easy to flood the 361 on full choke. You can listen for the gurgle of an almost start, but you can miss it.

Only exception to rule 3 and (3) full choke pulls, would be when starting from a run dry condition. In this case 5-8 pulls will prime the carb, then switch full choke off.

Give up now! Seriously, I think there is some natural variability in these saws. Some are good about starting, running; idling etc and other are just plain awful. I have done a lot of experiments on mine and I have tried every adjustment known to man and the little beast still floods all too easily, is difficult to restart and idles erratically. I have tried mine with both a modified muffler and stock muffler and it makes no difference in starting but a modified muffler does make it easier to un-flood. I have also tried it with and without using the decomp valve and that also makes no difference in starting, flooding or restarting. I probably really need to bolt another carb onto it and see if the original carb is hosed but I think I might just get another saw instead. It is a tossup between the new ms362 and that fine looking jonsered 2188. Good luck with the saw!

It's very easy to flood the 361 on full choke. You can listen for the gurgle of an almost start, but you can miss it.

Only exception to rule 3 and (3) full choke pulls, would be when starting from a run dry condition. In this case 5-8 pulls will prime the carb, then switch full choke off.

:agree2: 100%

+2:agree2: Good advice!
And if you do flood it, just pull the spark plug, dry off and try again. You just need to get the starting procedure down and then it's not a problem. It is a little finicky though, but definitely can be mastered...

As for the guy wanting to possibly trade for a 362.... The 362 starts better than any Stihl saw I own. Cold start, 2 pulls full choke (some times 1) and she fires and almost stays running, flip up one notch, 2 more pulls and she's going. No flooding trouble at all so far. So easy a caveman can do it...:cheers:

I agree with Country1 but

You got to remember that not all saws will have the EXACT same procedure. Some take more pulling than others. If you look back in my post from last summer...I had problems starting and flooding my 361 but once I figure out how to tune the fine procedure...a caveman definitely can do it!

When I first attempt a cold start at full choke, I give it two hard pulls and if I do not feel a blimp I still move to half choke and attempt to start it and it usually starts (have not tried with one pull at full choke). Sometimes I do feel it fire at full choke but more than not I do not feel it. However I gamble that is has fired ever so slight and move to half choke and fire tha baby up. I do this cuz I want to err on not feeling it fired as opposed to a flood.

I know the directions are not that clear but this forum helped immensely. I will say that some saws you got to pull 2 times on the full choke and some saws maybe 3 or 4. Does not matter as no two saws are alike and yes even a 36x is probably the same.

BTW...I don't use the darn decomp anymore...I think this helps flood a saw :confused:

+2:agree2: Good advice!
And if you do flood it, just pull the spark plug, dry off and try again. You just need to get the starting procedure down and then it's not a problem. It is a little finicky though, but definitely can be mastered...

As for the guy wanting to possibly trade for a 362.... The 362 starts better than any Stihl saw I own. Cold start, 2 pulls full choke (some times 1) and she fires and almost stays running, flip up one notch, 2 more pulls and she's going. No flooding trouble at all so far. So easy a caveman can do it...:cheers:
The above is absolutely true.

If I manage to flood my MS361, I just pull the spark plug and dry it off with a propane torch. As soon as I replace the dry plug, the saw will start up quite normally.

Mine seems to have flooded easier before it was broke in...is that possible, or just in my head?

But all good advice here. Mine is 3 pulls on full choke from cold start.

Because the rich/lean condition of the saw's tuning will drift as it breaks in, your observation is not out of the ordinary. Also, there can be a difference between hot/warm weather and cold weather. I know my 361 was difficult to start in colder weather until I made an L adjust to be just a tad more rich. The throttle response and idle were also improved with the adjustment.

Thanks for the information guys.I have noticed when it does start cold it takes several bumbs of the trigger before it clears out and runs like its not flooding.What other carb would work on the 361?

Thanks Moose

ms361 flooding

Hi, I have had 2 ms361's and never had an issue once with hard staring or flooding. My first one had a modded muffler(Walkers saws) and the second one is bone stock. Just my 2 cents.

The day after I got my ms-361, my arms felt a good inch longer from trying to start it the previous day. The good news is after you start it, you won;t want to stop it, its that nice!

My fil has an almost new ms 361 and it floods almost everytime it he cranks it.I have see other people hace the smae problem, what would be the cure?Do i need to put a different carb on it or mod the muffler?should I wait until the warrenty runs out?Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks moose

Mine is pretty subtle, even with a P&P and MM, sometimes it's almost a matter of feeling the saw burble on choke - Sam

I have a ms260 I picked up used and it was hard to start, flooded and acted the same way.I put a wt 426 on it and it hasent been a problem since.I have read some post that have suggested that there are other carbs that will fit.When his warrenty runs out i will mod the muffler and maybe change the carb out.

Moose

Take it to the dealer, it's still under warranty! Thats what you pay for.

Maybe the dealer will switch out the carb if they think it is viable. But it sounds like it needs adjustment at least.

Back