MS 361 Review so far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just went and bought a brand new stihl #27 and its the torx head for sure. going to give your idea and others i received in pm's a whirl.
I wonder if having the muffler hot from running would help during removal?

Thanks for the idea rottentreescum

In "theory" the alum. should expand more than the steel, so it might not be a bad idea to try. I myself am sold on "PB Blaster", stuff workes wonders!!!!

Can you feel the love boys?:help:

In "theory" the alum. should expand more than the steel, so it might not be a bad idea to try. I myself am sold on "PB Blaster", stuff workes wonders!!!!

Aluminum actually expands about the same amount, but at a quicker rate.

I would try using valve grinding compound as already suggested. Every little bit of friction helps.

If it comes to it you can drill the head of the bolt with a 1/4" bit so that you effectively remove the head of the bolt. Slip the muffler off and then remove the rest of the bolt.

I can honestly say that you will have a larger saw in your future. I won't dissuade you from walking stepwise through the line-up but jumping up a few steps is awesome. I just went from the 036 to the MS660 this week and can honestly say that I'll never need to look at the MS441 or MS460 (at least until my next bonus). The MS880 was too much of a tank for my stature (5'8"). The 660 doesn't feel all that heavy, especially when it is running and there is a big log to lay it in to.

Hey Cut4Funk..........

Make sure that your torx is not rounded at the end. If so touch it on a grinder to freshen up the tip. I have done this to allen wrenches with some success!!!

Sometimes an allen wrench will work. Or try some valve grinding compound........sometimes that will take up just enough to get the screw out!!!

Aluminum actually expands about the same amount, but at a quicker rate.

I would try using valve grinding compound as already suggested. Every little bit of friction helps.

If it comes to it you can drill the head of the bolt with a 1/4" bit so that you effectively remove the head of the bolt. Slip the muffler off and then remove the rest of the bolt.

1) try a better torx bit (or grind the old one down) with lapping compound, the head is already rounded by the other bit.

No Joy.

2) drill the head of the bolt off, then use PB Blaster, let soak, easy out it.

I like my 361

I picked this 361 used last summer , thiis is the frist real test I have put it through, all i can say is wow . TEDMI.
000_0708.jpg

1) try a better torx bit (or grind the old one down) with lapping compound, the head is already rounded by the other bit.

No Joy.

2) drill the head of the bolt off, then use PB Blaster, let soak, easy out it.

Yeah, what I said....:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Yes sawtroll it is a 18'' rolomatic , I love it . TEDMI

That is my favourite bar also, for felling - for limbing and most bucking, I usually use a 15" one, and 3/8x8 sprocket - fast as h*ll, for my birches....:rockn: :rockn:

Back