MS 361 Video's Posted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

West Texas

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have video of both modified 361's but they have failed to load on AS. Go to the web site below and you will see the video's.

I've got them labeled as to which saw is which; and, it should be noted that the limb was getting thicker and close to a crotch when we filmed Ed's saw with the 3/8 x 8 sprocket and longer bar with semi skip chain.

http://westtexas2.zippyvideos.com/gallery.z This is the Neiger saw with 16" bar .325 9T chain. And the limb was not quite as thick at this point as it was for Ed's saw. Its obviously performing well.

http://www.zippyvideos.com/3658771824184306/image016/ This is Ed's with a 20" bar 3/8x8 sprocket on 3/8 semi skip chain. Different chain, sprocket and bar setup than for the Neiger saw; more for power than speed.

So its not an exact setup comparison

Last edited:
Video

Wt, Just saw your videos. How deep are your rakers set? You appear to be making a lot of saw dust. Did you get any wind over your place last night? I do not mean to be critical however, the diamater of the wood being cut you should be tossing chips. Ken in Coleman

Lots of wind here the past two days. Rakers are filed down or I wouldn't even be able to get into this hard dead oak. I believe the dust you saw was from the bark (not normally on the demo logs) and high wind, it was really blowing when we took the video. Its square chisel chain and I take the rakers down before I make the first cut, based on past experience. I had to cut down a live oak about two months ago and the chips that came out of it were huge; it was like cutting through hot butter. Unlike the proffesional loggers I cut only dead hard wood and its mean on chains and saws both. All three of my saws have some modification and its needed for what I'm cutting.

Nice video's. God I love that sound :)
However, I've cut recently a lot of poplar with my 361 (18" bar-RSC), at a much faster speed, I must say. Poplar is by far no hard wood, but the wood you're cutting seems not to be tough stuff either, so it looks as if something can be improved on your saw (chain sharpness, type ?)

Cutting speed

West Texas, I was out of line on my comment. I did not mean to offend you. Here in Coleman our Tornado warning went off about 2 AM. I have just moved here and the wind was strong. I expected to see the wicked witch of the east. (Hillary) I would like to go camping somewhear in your neighborhood sometime soon. Any good camp sites? Ken

We have a very nice State Park here and two RV/Camper places in town. On special occasions you can camp out on the Nature Conservancy Preserve when they have public events announced for camping and hiking in the mountains.

Ben, I deliberately was not making comparisons on the video; only demonstrating both saws as I plan to use them I had done an 'exact' comparison of the two earlier; but, did not have a camera operator to record it. Ed's saw was .5 sec faster on a 9+" cut of that same hard oak. I'll be taking more video later when Ed's is better broken in. I've been using Dave's saw about three months now and it seems to be at full power; I've really enjoyed it. I plan to use one for limbing and the other for falling and the bigger stuff.

Back