ms 361 with 24" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A stock 361 will pull a 24" bar....but it don't like it at all...... IMO....a 24" is 460 or 385 territory.........but even my 66's got 24's on em' so........:greenchainsaw:

I really like the 20" bar on my 361. I use my 260/18 for everything smaller than 14", for the big stuff 24" to 30" I use the 361/20 setup.

-Mel

A muffler mod 361 will handle a 24" bar in soft wood with a full comp chain; and, in hard wood with a semi or full skip chain. Having said that, most of the wood I cut can be done with an 18" or 20" bar. I cut mostly hard dead Oak and run an 18" bar with square chisel semi skip chain on one and the same set up with a 20" bar on the other - its like cutting butter with a knife. :cheers:

25" Stihl ES on mine (when I had it). No issues whatsoever.

"Balance"... p-shaw... :dizzy:

Gary

:agree2: :givebeer: :agree2:

A 25 inch bar is my favorite bar length for my 361s. The 20 inch bar on a 361 is a runner up. Both with full comp chain. With smaller bars, I run a larger rim (8 pin). I can run a 25 inch bar with full comp RM on the non-modded 361 and cut black oak with it all day long. I have loops of full skip, but I rarely use it (when I do, it is usually for noodle cutting rounds).

Balance... is for ballet. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
I think there is a vid on youtube of snelling running a 28" bar. While he is halfway through the cut, he says "no problem"...

That being said, the 20" bar is what feels the best to me.

Yah, most of my cutting is in the oak family, hickory, maple...BTW Gary, wanted to ask...in another thread, you mentioned you were just getting back to workin' in the woods after a year off....how did you mess up your back?

....how did you mess up your back?

I had actually broke my back about 20 years ago... So it has been weak for some time. The muscles are always tense because they are basically keeping me upright. So this has been an ongoing problem for me over the years...

There are good days and bad days... seems more good recently. So I am still taking it easy. :)

Gary

I had actually broke my back about 20 years ago... So it has been weak for some time. The muscles are always tense because they are basically keeping me upright. So this has been an ongoing problem for me over the years...

There are good days and bad days... seems more good recently. So I am still taking it easy. :)

Gary

Keep taking it easy my friend, and have lots of more good days! :cheers: :cheers:

:yourock: ...even if I disagree with you about bar lenghts......:biggrinbounce2:

Latest posts

Back