MS 362 Muffler welding problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tstatic82

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello there, new to the site and highly interested in having my saw modified. I am trying to send it out but it seems as though the fella who may end up doing the work has had trouble welding to the specific metal it's made of out of. I've searched through many threads and I haven't been able to find the specific info I'm looking for. I know it's been done! Any ideas much appreciated! Thanks

I suppose, it's just he's had trouble finding the right weld. He said he's tried oxy acetalene and it just, "made a mess." So not sure what else to say. I do believe it's thin stainless as you've stated but what I would really like to find out is what will adhere the best... we're both trying to troubleshoot so any info is great. Thanks

The only way is to TIG weld it with pretty thin stainless filler. That's what I would do anyhow

Yup, tig with s/s rod is the way to do it. Not trying to be a cloud on a sunny day but, chances are
if he's already found he can't weld it with O/A it's more than likely burned pretty good.
Might be time to look for a new muffler and a competent tig guy.

Sounds like the general consensus is just that. Luckily I haven't sent it out to be worked on yet, just covering the bases before hand!

As far as I know, it's not possible to weld stainless with O/A. The burning fuel introduces too many impurities. Needs to be done with TIG, MIG, or stick...tig is easiest.

This is the way I like to do them since I don't own a tig.

IMG_20130805_184837_252_zpsb324e56d.jpg

As far as I know, it's not possible to weld stainless with O/A. The burning fuel introduces too many impurities. Needs to be done with TIG, MIG, or stick...tig is easiest.

Amateurs,

Stick? forget it, too thin.
Mig? will work if you know what you are doing
TIG? YUP!

I've burned my fair share of holes doing muff mods with a MIG.

Gave it up (mostly)

Oxy Acetylene with a good flux and silver solder is the only way to fly.

I have joined copper to steel, Brass to steel, and of course stainless to steel.

I don't have a TIG (yet)

Amateurs,

TIG? YUP!

Gave it up (mostly)

I have joined copper to steel, Brass to steel, and of course stainless to steel.

I don't have a TIG (yet)

You might not think it possible, and I guarantee it will look terrible, but I have welded similarly thin material with stick before.

Brazing and soldering are not the same as welding.

Well son,

you need to split a few mufflers.

You will notice most are furnace brazed.

If'n I could afford gold wire I would!

Amateurs,

TIG? YUP!

Gave it up (mostly)

I don't have a TIG (yet)
You are so rite there! Fit it tight, clean it good, use a good silver solder / braze flux and mod away! Use small flame and go slow!!
ynubudeb.jpg

These both are ss pipe.
huqamuhu.jpg

It flows wonderful and gives a very professional look.

YUP!

I like my tips like I like my shotgun shells,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 00

Back