MS 390, buy or save for a different saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voxac30dude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
im set on buying a 60-70cc saw after christmas. i only have a max of $600 to spend on a saw. i am wondering if the stihl ms390 is a good saw?

i like mine after the muffler mod used to have a 28'' b&c but now its a 20'' works great.

i forgot to metion hawaii prices are different then out there in the 48. is there any online stihl dealers with prices?

:agree2:

600 will buy a nice 660 or if you dont want that much saw you should be able to pick up a nice 440-460 and still have some left over. I've never ran a 390 so I cant coment on performance but I think I'd be inclined to go with a good used pro saw.... then again I've been bitten by the CAD bug so I may be a little bias here :chainsaw:

:agree2:

600 will buy a nice 660 or if you dont want that much saw you should be able to pick up a nice 440-460 and still have some left over. I've never ran a 390 so I cant coment on performance but I think I'd be inclined to go with a good used pro saw.... then again I've been bitten by the CAD bug so I may be a little bias here :chainsaw:

http://www.zazzle.com/cad_chainsaw_addiction_disorder_tshirt-235361710706805769
they have membership:greenchainsaw: shirts for you right here!

im set on buying a 60-70cc saw after christmas. i only have a max of $600 to spend on a saw. i am wondering if the stihl ms390 is a good saw?

Hey! You guys forgot what the OP's original questions was! To answer the question, yes, the MS 390 is a good saw. It is the saw I started with in terms of "real" saws, not the Eager Beaver. I bought the 390 because it was the most displacement I could get new about a year ago in California, for around $500. And it was a good saw that amazed me the first time I cut with it.

Other questions you should ask: What will you be cutting--how big, how often, to what end? If it's only occasional and for fun, this saw will be perfect. It will cut larger wood, but just not as fast as a 70cc to 80cc pro saw. And buying new buys you much peace of mind for a year since the saw will be backed by a warranty and hopefully you have a good dealer to back you up. I was leery about buying a used saw a year ago since I had little to no knowledge about the ins and outs of saws. So new made a lot of sense.

The only problem is if you decide to take this on as a hobby, as I and many others here have done. Then you'll gravitate toward "pro" saws and larger saws--see my signature for proof of how far I've come in a year. And remember that my collection of saws is nothing compared to a lot of the other members here! But if you do get crazy for saws you can always sell your MS 390 for very good money and plow that into a bigger saw.

So indeed, bigger used saws are a fine option if you're comfortable with that. But how many good, used, big saws are floating around in Hawaii? I've only bought off of Craig's List, where I could see and hold the saw before buying used. Although I would trust long-timers who place ads here on AS. But buying a new MS 390 is also a very good way to go if you're relatively new to saws.

Have fun choosing, saw safe, wear protective gear ALWAYS when cutting.

Olyeller

Hey! You guys forgot what the OP's original questions was! To answer the question, yes, the MS 390 is a good saw. It is the saw I started with in terms of "real" saws, not the Eager Beaver. I bought the 390 because it was the most displacement I could get new about a year ago in California, for around $500. And it was a good saw that amazed me the first time I cut with it.

Yes.. the 390 is not a bad saw. But.. how much difference in price for a 361? It is a slightly lighter saw.. with a little more hp.

Personally of all the saws I own.. it is the one I would likely keep if I could only keep one saw. Little bit smaller in cc size.. but the power is about the same as the 390 (a bit better), and it is a bit lighter.. and it will run all day long - every day.. Likely outlast the 390 and have better resale value.

the ms390 is a 64cc 4.3Hp and the ms361 mag is a 59cc 4.4Hp. does that make a difference in speed? power?

Get the 361 and don't look back. If you get the 390 you will want the 361 or something bigger. If you get the 361 you will be happy with it and probably never ever sell it. You might get another bigger saw later, but you won't sell 361.

My opinion,

Sam

hawaii doesn't have any tree's bigger then 24 inches around so i dont need anything bigger then something that will pull a maximum 24 inch bar.

hawaii doesn't have any tree's bigger then 24 inches diameter so i don't need anything bigger then something that will pull a maximum 24 inch bar. how much does the 361 go for new?

There are a few 361's and a couple of 372's on the trading post now, one of the 372's is just over what you're looking at spending, everthing else is in your price range, check them out.

For 24" go with a 70cc saw. Look for a deal and buy the one that feels right in your hands. I say as a general rule buy the lightest saw for your needs but leave a bit of power in case you ever need to take down a monster, with a 372xp, 440,441 you can put a 28-32 " bar on if you need to but they will cut like butter with a 20-24" bar. I say go check out all the dealers test their knowledge and buy what feels right overall.

Latest posts

Back