MS 440 For Sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvaught

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a like new MS 440 Magnum with 20 inch bar and Stihl RS chain. I have run less than 2 gallons of fuel through the saw in the past three months that I have had it. It also has the dual port muffler cover on it.

I am looking to trade up to an MS 460 Magnum. Asking price $600.

What are you cutting with a 20" bar on an 044 hard to beleive you stall it with that, it is ideal with a 28" and full skip mine screams.

Norm, I have a 20" on my 044, its not a screamer, it cuts plenty fast though.

I have a 28" bar for it, and its not ideal, it pulls it quick enough but its not screaming.

The deffinition of screaming is an 088KD with a 21" bar on it.

I have ran a 36" on an 044, it gets the job done, wasnt a screamer but it was still fine for the amount I used it.

Last edited:
bvaught, from what I understand the 044 has a different feel than the 046. Some people say they will only run one or the other, while others say that they cant tell a difference.

That being said, I wouldnt mind adding an 046 when my 044 dies or I get up a wild hair and buy it. Maybe I could get a discount if I bought them both at the same time? I wonder how much the 046 runs?

bvaught said:
Jeff,

Why would you buy a 440 and a 460 they are nearly the same saw?

I added the 440 because it's nice to have a couple of different saws with you when thinning or clear cutting. I'll run the 460 with a 28" or 32" depending on what I'm in, and the 440 with a 24". As I move through the timber I'll use mostly the 440 or even the 361 to handle most of the stuff, and the 460 when I need it, and not have to lug the 440 around all day with a 28". Even carrying the 460 with a 24" throughout the day gets old. To me, they do feel like different saws. It may be a mental thing, but that's me. I really thought about getting a 372 instead of the 440, and I know it's a super saw, but I've handled them, and used them breifly, and it just didn't feel right. I've used Stihl for such a time that that's what I'm used to. The 372 may outcut it, but I think there's more to a saw than it's cut times. I just like the way the Stihl feels and balances and I'd rather have a saw that I'm comfortable with, than one that can save me two seconds in a cut. And the fact that I have yet to have a Stihl let me down, so I'll keep using them. That's just my experience with them. I'm sure if I ever started using Huskys, I'd have the same attitude towards them.

Jeff

Lumbejack I guess if you run a 21 inch bar on a 088 I am sure it would screm, but so does my 044 you have youre own opinion Im col with that but just because its not like an 088 with a 21" bar doesnt mean it is not fast. What are you cutting I cut some pretty hard would, and I dont feel I need a 088 with a 21" bar if I spent 1600 dollars on an 088 it would be for a bigger bar, to cut bigger logs. I believe that is what it was made for not cutting pecker poles.

amen to that. bigger saws for bigger bars. then again, theres those of us, like me, who are the Tim Allen type that crave more power for small tasks. by my guess, you could probably run a 9 pin on an 088 with a 21" bar EASILY in stock form.

bvaught said:
I have a like new MS 440 Magnum with 20 inch bar and Stihl RS chain. I have run less than 2 gallons of fuel through the saw in the past three months that I have had it. It also has the dual port muffler cover on it.

I am looking to trade up to an MS 460 Magnum. Asking price $600.

Whqat are you cutting in Sc that the current saw will not handle. I do ask to be a PIA I ask out of interest. I would think the 044 would handle anything you have. If the upgrade is a "power thing" then go to a 066 and not a 088. My question is are you really cutting 36" hardwoods all the time ? If the answer is no then why want to go to a 088

Bill

NORMZILLA44 said:
Lumbejack I guess if you run a 21 inch bar on a 088 I am sure it would screm, but so does my 044 you have youre own opinion Im col with that but just because its not like an 088 with a 21" bar doesnt mean it is not fast. What are you cutting I cut some pretty hard would, and I dont feel I need a 088 with a 21" bar if I spent 1600 dollars on an 088 it would be for a bigger bar, to cut bigger logs. I believe that is what it was made for not cutting pecker poles.

Just got in a 41" woodsman pro in for it last monday or tues. I get it out of the shop tomorrow as they didnt have enough chain in 3/8" pitch .063 gauge to spin me two loops. I want to get an 066 to bridge the gap in my saws. I have 20, 28 and 36" bars for the 044, but bars for the 088 cost much more. The 41" ran me 250 bucks.

It just came with the 20" bar, it wasnt my first pick, but it is fun for impressing people. A 24" cut in the high 9 seconds turns some heads. I need to get a 9 pin to see how it responds to that.

I cut a little of everything, normally if its a smaller tree I use my 044, but I am semi regularly in larger wood (IE 3' plus DBH oaks) and I enjoy the extra power.

If I am felling alot of smaller trees I will use the 044. There is NOTHING wrong with the 044, it is my favorite saw in the lineup that I own. I opened the muffler and the saw has been reliable. I used it a good bit yesterday and I will use it alot tomorrow. My favorite setup on my 044 is a 20" with a 8 pin sprocket. It cuts like a raped ape and is very handy. Smaller saws are just for good measure I think. I bet I could replace my 025 with another 044 and not miss it.

Nothing personal here dude, I am just offering my opinion. It is interesting when you find something faster you think back to the old way and think, man I though I was going good then, but what did I know:p.

Hey Bvaught

I got an 025, 044, 046, 066

Although the 044 and 046 seem nearly the same they're not. Big difference.

The 044 I have runs 18" bar, the 046 runs 22" bar and the 066 runs 25" bar.

The difference in power, weight and fuel consumption is huge. I use these saws all day long and not only the extra weight but the extra firm grip and vibration and concentration takes it's toll on those bigger saws.

I have excellent sawing skills and don't need to over kill with huge bars, that generally have huge engines or skip chains.

If your upgrading to an 046 (ms460) from an 044 you'll notice what I mean ... for instance, when the 044 gets pinched in a cut generally you'll hold it in there and stop the chain. If you are blocking down a spar and "one handing" a bit or cutting straight through the piece in one swoop then chucking it off you'll notice it.

What you'll notice is that the 046 when it gets pinched sawing that log up on the groung will shoot back at you and leave a bruise in your leg for not concentrating enough or holding and bracing tight enough.

What you'll notice when you are blocking down is that if you cut straight thru that log the saw throws it straight off the end of you bar ... whammo, gone, just like that.

So all of a sudden what seemed good economy with a bigger and faster saw comes with a bunch of extra precautions and risks.

And when this happens day in day out all day, man I love that 044, it's just right.

Bill,

Nothing that I am currently cutting requires a bigger saw. I am just power hungry.

To give you a good example: This weekend I flew in a fighter jet, a BAC Provost. I complained because the ride wasnt quite "over the top". We only pulled 5 g's in a 400 Knot dive and I was hoping for more like 7.

The 440 cuts good.

Latest posts

Back