MS 440 stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffHK454

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Got a nice deal on MS 440 today at a local auction. A farmer down the road ether lost his farm or his life and us vultures flew in for the scraps. Sitt'n out front on the first table was a new , never ran , never had oil or gas in it MS 440 with 25" bar . I proceeded to get into a bidding war with my local Stihl guy on his lunch break :laugh: and he gave up at $500. I picked up my new prize possession and fallowed him out to the parking lot , he then informed me that he had sold this saw just two weeks before and that I could bring it back for its first start and tune. While I was there I picked up a DP muffler cover from a 044/046. Now to the questions:

Should I put the DP cover on and begin break-in or should I leave that EPA HP killer on till she's loose?

I also didn't know if any small matching can be done between and cyl. and muffler housing for more free hp without danger of getting contaminates in the intake port?

What is the criteria for a certain Stihl dealer putting .050 gauge bar on all its saws on the floor but this saw has .063? What are the pluses and minuses of each gauge type?

And lastly , will a outer dawg from a 660 work on my 440?

Thanks for the input, Jeff

Throw the dual port on now, .063 is stronger but heaveier and any dog will fit any saw with some fab work of course.

Great buy. I am sure you will be more than pleased.

BostonBull said:
Throw the dual port on now, .063 is stronger but heaveier and any dog will fit any saw with some fab work of course.

Great buy. I am sure you will be more than pleased.

BUT make sure you retune the carb.. It will be to be richer...

I think the dog fits just fine - they are both 1122 parts (066).

Sounds like a great deal...

Put the DP on now - there is no reason to break it in strangled for Pete's sake - just be sure to have the carb set properly...

JeffHK454 said:
small matching can be done between and cyl. and muffler housing for more free hp without danger of getting contaminates in the intake port?

Myself, I wouldn't do ANY port or metal work with the part on the saw. There's just too much risk of getting something in the saw. Even metal dust from using a Dremel in the saw would wreak havoc. Do it right, take it apart and you'll be glad you did.

As far as the dog, it'll fit. Any dog will fit with a little metal work.

Jeff

I started break-in on my new 440 today, man what a saw ! Other than the weight of the 25" bar it feels like my 290 on roids!

It's like a newborn , I find myself looking at it from my deck with love in my eye as it cools on the wood pile. :confused:

Jeff

The problem with saws like that is you run out of things to cut to fast.
I too sit and stare longingly at my 385 and so does my son. It goes something like this:

"cut wood daddy?"
"Big chain saw, right daddy?"
"cut biiiiigggg tree now daddy?"
"VVVVVVVVV, Loud right daddy?"

Yep, my wife thinks I'm training for the Stihl Timber-sports Series!

For the last 4 hours I have been cutting 24" long Ash logs 18" in dia into cookies for no real reason other than to here the exhaust note in the valley behind my house :) . I also have two year old son in a snow suit screaming from my deck ..." MAKE IT LOUDER...DADDY.... :blob2: "

I myself like to watch a 385 cut...nasty machine!

Jeff

Back