MS 441 Fuel Tank Leaks.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcphinney

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am sure this has been discussed, so if it has please point me to the thread, thanks. If not I have a Stihl MS441 and the fuel tank has begun to leak, a lot. The saw leaks on the right side of the fuel cap. I have replaced the cap but to no avail. So my question is there a way to fix this or am I going to have to replace the tank/handle assembly?
If I do need to replace the tank/handle is there any place where I can find some more information on the process of doing so?
Thanks,
Cole

If the flippy is leaking then you might be able to try a few different caps and get one that leaks less. If not it will be a new tank. Is there any damage in the area?

No damage, I replaced the fuel cap around September and the leak stopped for a while but started again recently so I put another new cap on still leaked. I kind of figured I would have to replace the tank. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this as easy as possible? I already have a fuel tank.

The process to replace the tank is not mechanically difficult, just time consuming.

I can't speak for the 441 but I tore my 026 down this evening to replace the av mounts. It took all of 15 minutes and the tools in the picture. I always replace the bolts into the holes they came from to keep track of them instead of throwing them in a bag.

Reassembly should be the same.IMG-20140112-00400.jpg

That is a really old tank vent you have there. Metal tag 026?

Book time is 1/2 hour for doing a fuel tank. You have to hustle to do that.

My 460 recently started leaking as well. Not enough to be a issue while using but irritating while being stored. My solution has been to store the saw on its side.

i would just not store gas in it . if its a slow leak just fill it up while cutting and run it out before storing

Back